PDA

View Full Version : SmartDevice for Admin Question | Address Management

Custom Search

none32
10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I am trying to copy one list from one MFP to all 4 MFP's all Ricoh.
The list is scan to folder with a SMB username and path that is unique to all 200 users.

I can edit them all manually but that takes too long.
I can make one list download it as a .CSV but then the password information is not saved and I would have to re-enter it on every machine.

Is there any way to speed up this process?

nmfaxman
10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
If they are all the same model, you can backup the address book in WIM then restore it to the others.

Choro1dal
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
X2 with nmfaxman.

Alternatively:

If all MFDs are the same model, back up the address book to a SD card and restore to the other devices.

If the devices are different models and/or generations configure SNMP v3 for all the devices and Smart Device Monitor for Admin (SDMA). Then you can use SDMA to import/export csv files including passwords.

Or if only one account is being used as the authentication credentials for all destinations set this in the 'Default SMB account' for each device using WIM, then import the csv files usng SDMA with SNMP v1/v2.

Eric1968
10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Passwords are never backed up by SDM. You'll have to enter them manually in every machine.

the7thcolumn
10-04-2012, 07:51 PM
We have a MP 9001 , 8001 , 5500 , 6000 .
Is there any software / method that I can use to centrally manage all the printers address books?

the7thcolumn
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Passwords are never backed up by SDM. You'll have to enter them manually in every machine.
Can I not just enter it in the WebUI under 'Configuration/File Transfer' ?

the7thcolumn
10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
X2 with nmfaxman.

Alternatively:

If all MFDs are the same model, back up the address book to a SD card and restore to the other devices.
No they are not.

If the devices are different models and/or generations configure SNMP v3 for all the devices and Smart Device Monitor for Admin (SDMA). Then you can use SDMA to import/export csv files including passwords.
When exporting the .CSV it states the passwords will not be stored and when looking into it they are blank [].

Or if only one account is being used as the authentication credentials for all destinations set this in the 'Default SMB account' for each device using WIM, then import the csv files usng SDMA with SNMP v1/v2.
WIM ? Sorry you will have to explain to me how to do this.

Choro1dal
10-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Web Image Monitor (WIM) is the name given to the web service hosted on Ricoh MFDs.

To access WIM launch a web browser and populate the address bar with http://<ipaddress of MFD.> This will take you to the MFD homepage, click on the 'Login' button and login as an administrator. Typically admin authentication is set up with one admin account governing all admin functions (Machine, Network, User and File). The default login credentials are: User name: admin Password: (null/blank).

When exporting address books using SDMA the password field will be blank. If the MFDs and SDMA are set up to use SNMP v3 as the protocol the data between the two is encrypted allowing the use of passwords.

Ricoh also has a utility called Web Smart Device Monitor V2 which can be used to configure multiple devices concurrently. Batch configuration can also be scheduled to be performed out of hours, reducing the risk of updates not being applied if any of the devices other functions are in use.

the7thcolumn
10-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Ah thank you. I have filled out the default SMB Password now. Under SDFA I choose "Auth Info: Do not Specify" I guess and then the default should take over? As long as the default SMB account is the same across all the Ricohs then I should be ok exporting the list then?

Choro1dal
10-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Yes, you should be in business now.

KenB
10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I have all my customers set up Scan to Folder with a common username and password, and then have the machines use those credentials.

Word of caution: Make sure it's a non-expiring password, in the event you have a policy to have your users change them periodically (as you should).

And yes, I've had panicked calls come in when all of a sudden 50 machines stopped scanning because the password had expired. :mad:

Most IT departments have no issue creating a service account for just this purpose.

Keep in mind that if you do have to wrangle your address books, Excel is your friend, and can handle the csv files quite nicely, including the passwords. Just don't mess up its formatting or delete any apparently unneeded data - you won't like the results. (Been there, no fun at all...).

Custom Search