PDA

View Full Version : Teach me to "Network printers and copiers"

Custom Search

Rigger
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I have been servicing copiers for 25 years and I am very good with computers. I just haven't got down to business with hooking up copiers to the customer's network. Is there a shortcut for learning the procedure or a generic class I can take to bypass all the bull and just learn the "good stuff"?
:confused:
Rigger

lkrsardis
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
i tried to add a pdf attachment but couldnt.sen me your email and i"ll send it to you.
keith

CanonHPTech
01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Hello, sir. Good luck. It sounds like you are on the right track if you enjoy working on/working with computers. I have been on the IT/Networking side for longer then I have been working on copiers. I do not know of any general information outside of good cables, a good IP address, and the PING and IPCONFIG commands. If the previous poster has something more geared towards copier networking, I would also be very interested.

My issue is that the company I work for is not very IT oriented and therfore does not allow us to do to much on a customers network/workstation- however, I have been running into customer after customer who are just clueless and/or does not want to pay an IT support firm to manage their network or servers, so they expect me, also the guy who empties there waste toner, to basically give them a server and router (because I carry these in my car trunk, hah) and set them up a network, then hook up their copier on this network, then setup scan-to-email... because they pay my company 150-300 bucks a month for a service contract and they rather not pay an IT professional the 85-150 per hour for their advice/expertise.

I guess I really can't complain too much, I do enjoy learning something new everyday. Good luck sir.

lkrsardis
01-03-2008, 11:26 PM
i"ve got some stuff but i can"t seem to get attatchments to work.
Please help cause i are ignorant!!!
keith.

Copier_Guy
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I would be very interested in reading the PDF you have about generic copier setups if you have it. Knowing a lot or a little about computers goes a long way in setting these machines up. They, for the most part, set up like just about any device on the network with an IP address and subnet mask. A print driver and the works. It's the advanced features that you need to learn more about and they sometimes vary in procedure to setup. It does help to understand their function and what resources are needed to make them work.

lkrsardis
01-03-2008, 11:36 PM
What iI have is Toshiba's Basic networking guide. If anybody wants it get me an email address and i'll be happy to sed it.
Were all in this together.
keith. going home see yall tomorrow.

Copierdave
01-04-2008, 03:10 AM
What brands of machines are you currently working on?

lkrsardis
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
if paper passes through it we work on it. We are a Canon OPD dealer.
Yesterday i worked on a 52 year old olivetti typewriter, that was fun.

fausto1981
01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
well there is a lot of places where you can get the info for free.
all the machines need the same info for example
TCP/IP, Subnet Mask, Default gateway, DNS, WINS, SMTP you also need to have some basic knowledge on the following protocols for scanning to folder: SMB, FTP, NCP.
and it can get really bad if you want to learn Novell NDP and NDPS

The difference between all this different machines is that sometimes they use defferent ports for printing, different queue names, you to have to know the key operator code to change all this settings. or the different usernames and passwords to log in their web interfaces. and so on

please tell me what machines you plan to connect and i might have some helpful info for you.

lkrsardis
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Now this is what its all about!!! Help Your Brethren!!!

Scott_Lewis
01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Here are a couple of networking pdf's that lkrsardis wanted to post.

From just a quick review they look like good basic stuff. I'm still looking for the advanced course.:rolleyes:

fausto1981
01-07-2008, 01:05 AM
The first PDF there reminds me of the N+ certification. pretty good doc from those guys @ Toshiba

Custom Search