PDA

View Full Version : Jamming Canon IR2020 - Jams - Replaced lots of parts

Custom Search

canon_dumbie
10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I'm dealing with quite the problematic machine. I have replaced several items and swapped them back and forth including (registration clutch, registration sensor, fuser, tray 2 path sensor, main drive motor, DC control board)

For starters I'll start with Tray 1, saying that Tray 2 is disconnected from the machine. The paper will stop right before registration or right after registration. I have also gotten the message change paper size a couple different times, as well. The tray does securely close and the size selector is on the proper 8X11 (LTR) setting though I have tried changing the orientation to the "R" direction with no difference. I have swapped the paper for a brand new ream of Spectrum Multi-Use and Quill Multi-Purpose paper. Doing all the "fancy" tricks while loading. The climate at which the paper is kept in is good. Now the environment that the copier itself is in isn't the best. They are a fiberglass manufacturing company and even though the copier is in their office it still gets loaded with Fiberglass dust. I have blown out every sensor that I can find.

Tray 2 now, Tray 2 will feed into pre-registration and stop sometimes there is a mark from the actuator on the front of the paper. I have check the actuator and it seems to work properly. If Tray 2 makes it past pre-registration it jams same as Tray 1 (right before or right after registration)

Now the kicker (or so I think)

Not every single page jams I can get 3 pages, 1 page, or even 7+ pages through. but without a cause that I can find to cause a jam. If the "Change Paper Size" message pops-up it will only spit one out of course.

I have tried countless times to get the event log to print out but for some reason it won't print a single sheet without jamming.

ericang
10-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Please post jam codes.. or images when jam.....
is hard to understand coz these iR machine cause load of different jam

Canon.Tech
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
You probably have done this but have you cleaned or replaced the grey vertical path roller & one way gear, this can get paper dust fused to it, or in your case fiberglass dust! Then you get the “incorrect paper size message + jamming

canon_dumbie
10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
You probably have done this but have you cleaned or replaced the grey vertical path roller & one way gear, this can get paper dust fused to it, or in your case fiberglass dust! Then you get the “incorrect paper size message + jamming

I have cleaned all the path rollers several times also including the feed rollers; however I didn't know about the one-way. I will have to look that up. Would you happen to have a Part Number handy?

Canon.Tech
10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Ill send you the manual

Figure 311 item 11

canon_dumbie
10-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Ill send you the manual

Figure 311 item 11

Item 11 P/N FC6-4348-000 - Rear Clutch Bushing

Does this sound correct?

Canon.Tech
10-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi,

Yes I would try that.

Unless you have another machne you can take the complete pick unit unit in figure 311 from.

Does the machine have a high count? as this model is not made for high volume lik the ir2270 series etc.

canon_dumbie
10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi,

Yes I would try that.

Unless you have another machne you can take the complete pick unit unit in figure 311 from.

Does the machine have a high count? as this model is not made for high volume lik the ir2270 series etc.

I ordered the said part. It doesn't seem to be a one-way just a plastic/teflon bushing. is there another part that you were thinking of being a one-way? I have tried putting the said part in to see if it made any difference. The machine is still broken. It seems that part is only for Tray 1 which we are dealing with problems with both Tray 1 and Tray 2.

I'm not sure how high the count is believe it to be less than 100,000 clicks.

COPIERTEC ASSOCIATES
10-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Sometimes this machine tends to be problematic because of the sensor flag or actuator for that matter just before the registration roller.The sensor flag tends to shorten over time and cause constant jams in that area.A simple modification can solve the problem by slightly increasing the length.
Also check on the spring of that flag,over time it tends to weaken, increase the tension of the spring to actuate the sensor flag in time.

canon_dumbie
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Sometimes this machine tends to be problematic because of the sensor flag or actuator for that matter just before the registration roller.The sensor flag tends to shorten over time and cause constant jams in that area.A simple modification can solve the problem by slightly increasing the length.
Also check on the spring of that flag,over time it tends to weaken, increase the tension of the spring to actuate the sensor flag in time.

I have tried tightening up the registration sensor spring. didn't seem to make any difference. Do you know about how many clicks it takes to shorted the acutator? I could try to replace both the actuator and spring if that makes sense, I was figuring with the machine having less than 100,000, if I am remembering correctly i think it has around 30,000. that just seems "young" to have this many problems. but look at the environment.

CanonSco
10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Replace the vertical path roller and post back. 5 minute job and solves a lot of headaches with this machine.

canon_dumbie
10-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Replace the vertical path roller and post back. 5 minute job and solves a lot of headaches with this machine.

Do you have part number?

COPIERTEC ASSOCIATES
10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Try to ascertain whether the black unit holding the transfer roller with the black registration do properly mesh when the door is closed on lefthand side is closed.

Akitu
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Having similar jamming issues in a 2020i, problem is to replace the feed ass'y or replace the gears with the updated models this machine has to be completely gutted... What a POS. Jam code 0104 from tray 1 with a J1 cassette type.

canon_dumbie
10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Try to ascertain whether the black unit holding the transfer roller with the black registration do properly mesh when the door is closed on lefthand side is closed.

I like the sounds of this on; what would the normal culprit be for improper meshing? hinges?

COPIERTEC ASSOCIATES
10-24-2012, 10:12 PM
The unit holding the transfer roller and the black registration is fastened by four self tapping screws ie two on either side.Ensure that this unit is properly held and the transfer roller is left onto play when the door is closed.

canon_dumbie
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
The unit holding the transfer roller and the black registration is fastened by four self tapping screws ie two on either side.Ensure that this unit is properly held and the transfer roller is left onto play when the door is closed.

I had removed this prior and verified that it is secure.

Custom Search