PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 363 copier PRINTS PREVIOUS USER'S COPIES!? Security & HIPAA concerns

Custom Search

disenchanted
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
A new contract for onsite copiers caused our xerox copiers to be removed and new KM Bizhub 363's to be installed.

At first everyone was impressed. An all in one unit. Smaller, sleaker design. and so on.

But now people are horrified because, often times, after they use the copier and depart, the next person to use the copier will get "copies of the previous user's print outs" !? :eek:

It might be a mere nuisance to have someone else's work print out when you are expecting yours.
And it might be okay if it were merely a uneventful document such as a company newsletter that printed.
But certainly NOT for those times that the previous user was copying documents such as their own medical forms and supporting documents.
Or personal legal documents and such.

People are so scared about copying personal paperwork on the bizhub 363 and having it reappear for the next user, that they are walking to the far end of the building (about the distance of 1 to 2 city blocks for some users) to copy their paperwork using an old Canon copier. (An old canon copier that only prints what you tell it to and does not toggle between scanning and/or copying and/or ?????; which results in jobs being left in the que for the next user to see/read).

So far no one has found the answer to getting these bizhub 363's to copy only the current job and then quit.

Some people said to push RESET several times when done, but that did not fix the problem.

The manuals we have for the bizhub 363 did not go into detail enough to tell us how to get this problem resolved.

One solution:
Some people run 3 or 4 additional copy jobs using a BLANK piece of paper, after their copy job, to clear out any remnants of their job.
It works, but is cumbersome.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

It is probably just some single setting that needs to be toggled.

Thanks in advance.

Shadow
10-22-2012, 05:32 PM
are they using a copy tracking program?
are they using the machine account tracking?
there is a setting incorrect some where in your system.
check the machine defaults to see if it is set for 2 copies as opposed to single.
if they are using a third party tracking software something is amiss in the settings.
are they using secure print?
go through the security features and double check everything.

emujo
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
I would say that the problem you describe is an impossible situation..but you say it is, so I take you at your word...I think we must be missing something in the way you are doing things..Help me clarify a few things..

1 Are you copying or printing?
2. If printing, do direct print, or utilize the user boxes, ID and print, secure print?
3. Are there any KM solutions tied to the bizhubs..PSES, follow me printing..?

Unless you are scanning images to the HDD, using secure print, ID and print, nothing should be saved (images in memory that is)..and when copying from the feeder or glass, again, nothing should be retained, and again nothing should print out following a copy job. The only reason I can think of a copy job popping out on its own is for some reason paper, of the correct size, was not available when the copy was made...next user walks up and adds required size, or tells MFP to print on a selected cassette, and tada..copy job comes out. Give us a little more info...Emujo

oldschool
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I've only seen a similar symptom on machines that are using a key counter or are being vended by the key counter. I believe that a job with an error will be reprinted. Sometimes when the key counter is pulled or the patron runs out of money the copier may see that as an error and reprint the page when it is re-enabled. If you are using a key counter than there is a setting to clear the old job on key counter removal. Oddly enough I've run across this on Canon copiers but never on a Konica Minolta.

blackcat4866
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
emujo's theory is about the only thing that I can think of either.

Exactly which functions are involved, what combination of features? General comments like "everything ... " are unhelpful.
Is it possible that used paper is being re-loaded back into the tray and printed again?
Could your users be using the Proof Copy button instead of the Start button? Proof copy prints off only one set of a copy job to confirm the correct layout. When the Start button is then pressed the rest of the sets are printed. Yes, this is how it's supposed to work.

If:
I could actually see it happen, I might to do a HDD re-format, then reload the movie data and addressbook. But I'd want a good reason to do so first, like seeing it happen, and being able to repeat it. =^..^=

Kidaver
10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
I came across an issue that was an annoying problem for me but may help in your case. Under the admin settings and Job reset settings you might turn on Job Reset "when an original" is placed. Having that on when you place a document into the doc feeder it's like pressing the reset button. Thought you might have issues in that someone will be making a large run of something and place a doc in and reset that job. But I have to agree that once you run a copy thru and hit reset it should not retain any information about that document unless they are inadvertently storing it in a user box somehow. Now print is a whole different issue as those jobs are queued and stored along the way in a few places, but you can protect it with secure print and other things.

minimerlin
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
What about getting the company that installed it to sort the problem..easier than us trying to do it by remote!:confused:

disenchanted
10-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for so many quick responses.
This is an incredibly helpful forum.

I would have to investigate as to if they are using a copy tracking and/or machine tracking and the secure print.
(I think they do track copies for leasing purposes).

Basically we use these units as basic standalone copiers.

No printing connections to the units.
No network connections.

I will certainly look at all the options all of you have pointed out and see if I can do a better job of pinpointing the problem area.

MFPTech
10-22-2012, 09:33 PM
A new contract for onsite copiers caused our xerox copiers to be removed and new KM Bizhub 363's to be installed.

At first everyone was impressed. An all in one unit. Smaller, sleaker design. and so on.

But now people are horrified because, often times, after they use the copier and depart, the next person to use the copier will get "copies of the previous user's print outs" !? :eek:

It might be a mere nuisance to have someone else's work print out when you are expecting yours.
And it might be okay if it were merely a uneventful document such as a company newsletter that printed.
But certainly NOT for those times that the previous user was copying documents such as their own medical forms and supporting documents.
Or personal legal documents and such.

People are so scared about copying personal paperwork on the bizhub 363 and having it reappear for the next user, that they are walking to the far end of the building (about the distance of 1 to 2 city blocks for some users) to copy their paperwork using an old Canon copier. (An old canon copier that only prints what you tell it to and does not toggle between scanning and/or copying and/or ?????; which results in jobs being left in the que for the next user to see/read).

So far no one has found the answer to getting these bizhub 363's to copy only the current job and then quit.

Some people said to push RESET several times when done, but that did not fix the problem.

The manuals we have for the bizhub 363 did not go into detail enough to tell us how to get this problem resolved.

One solution:
Some people run 3 or 4 additional copy jobs using a BLANK piece of paper, after their copy job, to clear out any remnants of their job.
It works, but is cumbersome.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

It is probably just some single setting that needs to be toggled.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like people are storing documents in the HDD of the machine and printing from there.
Have you placed a service call?

Cheers,

disenchanted
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
What about getting the company that installed it to sort the problem..easier than us trying to do it by remote!:confused:

Good point.

I'll contact the onsite point of contact and have him get us some useable answer from the vendor.

When these units were installed there was a few training classes over the course of a day and then that was all we saw of the vendor rep.

Thanks.

Kidaver
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
I forgot to even ask this and I don't really have exact info but I am about halfway thru the security feature course on this machine. If you are copying a lot of confidential information on it was that option even installed?

SmellsHot
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
make sure your not pressing the "separate scan" button instead of the "Start" button......Make sure Interrupt mode isn't enable too....

pepper38_cnd
10-24-2012, 12:10 PM
This is about the silliest thing I have ever read! Run blank copy jobs to flush out the previous jobs? Users walking 2 city blocks to avoid using the Bizhubs. Is this guy just trying to discredit the product? He says he likes that fact that its an all in one and then says it is just straight walk up copying no network, scanning or fax?

Having said that. Your scenario is probably this. A user starts a copy job asking for 10 copies and the paper runs out at 6, they are too lazy to get more paper from the storage room so they hit the reset and walk away. When the next user comes up and loads paper, the job completes the 4 remaining pages of the previous persons job. Had the first person gone to the job list and deleted the job this would not have happened. ( I can't imagine that this is happening often, and on serveral different machines. But hey it's my best guess.)

Make sure the system reset is set to "full reset" in Admin/system settings, and a reset time of say 30 sec if your really paranoid. I'm not sure if this would actually clear a job as created above but it's worth a try. Also training the users to check the "Job List" before walking away would be a lot easier than hiking 2 city blocks to use an old Cannon.

Custom Search