PDA

View Full Version : Scan To Folder alternatives for MP4500/C2500 MFPs?

Custom Search

Ginolard
07-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi

We have about 15 NRG MP 4500 MFPs and a single MP C2500. Currently we use Scanrouter 2 (spit) to manage the Scan To Folder functionality because of it's integration with Active Directory.

Are there ANY alternatives to managing the Scan To Folder feature (other than replacing the aging devices)??

rthonpm
07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Both the MP 4500 and C2500 should have native support for Active Directory authentication. Dump ScanRouter and just use AD credentials, or create a few AD accounts to manage who can scan where...

Ginolard
07-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure that's a direct replacement though is it? I can guarantee that we will be required to provide exactly the same functionality that the users have now. That being, that they walk up to a device, press their userid on the screen, scan a document it magically appears in their "scan" folder on their personal network drive. They are never going to accept that users have to "log in" to the printer to use it.

Is it possible to configure the printer so that it automatically displays the list of users in Active Directory? That way we still have a centrally managed list of users instead of having to manage each printer's address book individually?

rthonpm
07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
You could use LDAP to do the listing of the members of the domain. From there the user would likely just have to enter their password to scan. Overall, you could set up (or have IT do it) the address book on one machine and then back it up and push the backup file to the other machines. That way everything has the same information and there's no worry of a misspelling or such in one machine, etc. The downside is that the backups don't save passwords (a precaution since they're generally just a CSV file).

Bantams
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
That being, that they walk up to a device, press their userid on the screen, scan a document it magically appears in their "scan" folder on their personal network drive

That's exactly what it does without scanrouter afters its initially been set up correctly.

Ginolard
07-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah I've been playing a bit this afternoon and we COULD populate the address book I suppose....

Will have to investigate a bit further

TonerMunkeh
07-26-2013, 07:29 PM
They are never going to accept that users have to "log in" to the printer to use it.

Oh, boo hoo. I can hear the violins playing. We have a customer with 450+ machines on one site with 7,000 users. They don't have any problem with logging into the machine. They basically need to be told this is the way you have to do it, if you don't like it - tough shit!

With the age of the machines, updating the entire fleet and using a print / scan solution such as Equitrac would be suitable. It integrates with AD with the built-in scan-to-me function of PCC to do enable scan to email. GW scan to folder is also available however you will run into the same LDAP issues.

Ginolard
07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Oh, boo hoo. I can hear the violins playing. We have a customer with 450+ machines on one site with 7,000 users. They don't have any problem with logging into the machine. They basically need to be told this is the way you have to do it, if you don't like it - tough shit!

With the age of the machines, updating the entire fleet and using a print / scan solution such as Equitrac would be suitable. It integrates with AD with the built-in scan-to-me function of PCC to do enable scan to email. GW scan to folder is also available however you will run into the same LDAP issues.

Scan-to-Email has already been vetoed. The company I work for handles very sensitive data and they do want to open up the possibility of people scanning a document to another user's email address. Yes, I realise that people can simply scan to folder and then email the document (this flaw in their logic has been pointed out several times). However, we are a service provider and they are a client, we do want they want ultimately.

ruben
07-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Scan-to-Email has already been vetoed. The company I work for handles very sensitive data and they do want to open up the possibility of people scanning a document to another user's email address. Yes, I realise that people can simply scan to folder and then email the document (this flaw in their logic has been pointed out several times). However, we are a service provider and they are a client, we do want they want ultimately.

They can password protect destinations, to make them private.

See: http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi/0001026/0001026973/VB2307850/B2307850.pdf (page 265, actually 273)

TonerMunkeh
07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Also, scan to me can be configured to only send scans to the individual user. GW scanning can be disabled completely so the only way a scan can be forwarded to an external party will be by the person who scanned it to themselves. The machine can also be whitelisted so no scans whatsoever can leave your domain from the machine.

There are alternatives to explore, don't dismiss them so readily without considering their uses and features.

Custom Search