PDA

View Full Version : Dead Machine C452 hit by lightning

Custom Search

emujo
08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Tearing my hair out... Lightning strike, have replaced Sys control board, NVRAM, RAM, HDD, Power supply. MFP will power on, start button amber, fan on SYS board runs, no further. Will not start up in firmware mode, trouble reset. Will replace Printer control next, but if anyone has ideas, happy to try. Emujo

mitchl
08-21-2013, 08:49 PM
By system control I take it your referring to the MFP board? If so try the PRCB board and it will probably live again!

emujo
08-21-2013, 09:34 PM
yeah, MFP, Printer board on order. Just hoping its not some obscure board or shorted harness. Emujo

EarthKmTech
08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
hope your charging the customer / customers insurance company for all those expensive parts. "acts of god" are never covered under maintenance agreements for good reason. its also a better idea to simply write the machine off in such cases as how the hell do you know theres not some other obscure damage deep inside the machine that will only surface a week after you think you've fixed the machine and then charged the customer. Can of worms.

We fixed a machine a customer said yeah no worries - after it had a mouse infestation. The bill came to $7500. Big surprise 6 months later the invoice remains unpaid.

emujo
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately, this is covered...Customer had one of our recommended surge supressors and we cover anything that it doesn't protect...So here's an update...Replaced PRCB, no change. Spoke with original tech and he said that 1st MFP board was used, so ordered another. This one worked to some degree, MFP will now boot and firmware is at D6. But shortly after hourglass is gone, MFP comes up with C2151 error. (2nd x-fer pressure/retraction issue). PS 50 works in test mode, but it looks like M3 isn't turning. Swapped out entire 2nd x-fer assy and no change. Put original PRCB back in and no change. Looks like issue is in wiring between M3 and PRCB. Time to go diving. Emujo

mitchl
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately, this is covered...Customer had one of our recommended surge supressors and we cover anything that it doesn't protect...So here's an update...Replaced PRCB, no change. Spoke with original tech and he said that 1st MFP board was used, so ordered another. This one worked to some degree, MFP will now boot and firmware is at D6. But shortly after hourglass is gone, MFP comes up with C2151 error. (2nd x-fer pressure/retraction issue). PS 50 works in test mode, but it looks like M3 isn't turning. Swapped out entire 2nd x-fer assy and no change. Put original PRCB back in and no change. Looks like issue is in wiring between M3 and PRCB. Time to go diving. Emujo

Hate to play Monday morning QB but you could have replaced the entire machine for a like for lke, low metered C452 for under 1500....... water under the bridge though. Let me know what you find on this, seems strange that lightning would have taken out a portion of the 24vdc harness?

Jazzwcs
09-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Who is providing the service contract? I work for KMBS directly and if this machine was damaged by a lightning strike, it should of been written off under an insurance claim. There are just too many things to go and replace and too much time and money involved to repair such a machine. There are all the boards, dcps, hv units, wiring harnesses, sensors, motors, clutches, so on and so forth.

vincent64
09-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Just want to put my 2 cents worth in here, lightning strike, hurricane, floods, or electrican that did not get it right, should be wrote off, just to many issues that can come back to bite you, after hurricanes Rita and Ike down here in the southeast Texas area, we seen lots of them written of, I did see one that was fried when a new main panel was installed and had 220 volts accidently wired into its outlet, it smoked the power supplies, no question, it was written off.
I can only guess what a lightning strike does to one, that is some kind of power in a lightning bolt.

emujo
09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Who is providing the service contract? I work for KMBS directly and if this machine was damaged by a lightning strike, it should of been written off under an insurance claim. There are just too many things to go and replace and too much time and money involved to repair such a machine. There are all the boards, dcps, hv units, wiring harnesses, sensors, motors, clutches, so on and so forth.

The way the contract is written, as long as the MFP has a KM sold surge protector, then the repair/replace responsibility is ours. Customer is quite happy about this, as they already filed insurance claims for the rest of the equipment damaged by the 3 successive strikes. And BTW, we have other contracts that cover this type of damage regardless of the presence of a surge protector..go figure. Emujo

mitchl
09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
The way the contract is written, as long as the MFP has a KM sold surge protector, then the repair/replace responsibility is ours. Customer is quite happy about this, as they already filed insurance claims for the rest of the equipment damaged by the 3 successive strikes. And BTW, we have other contracts that cover this type of damage regardless of the presence of a surge protector..go figure. Emujo

We require all machines under contract to have a suppressor with a low clamp voltage................ But still dont cover it if the machine takes a hit. Act of God!

What part of the state are you in Emujo?

emujo
09-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Fixed, needed MFP, RAM, and 2 power supplies as the "certified" good used PS was bad out of the box. Thanks for the inputs. Emujo

Setright
09-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Just want to put my 2 cents worth in here.....
I can only guess what a lightning strike does to one, that is some kind of power in a lightning bolt.

1.21 Gigawatts according to The Doc in Back to the Future ;)

Custom Search