View Full Version : CQ B750 won't hold IP

Custom Search

rrrohan
05-11-2014, 02:44 PM
This is a strange issue

Machine had error regarding missing serial number

I checked in service mode and sure enough it was blank

Then I noticed HDD was set to not installed when it does in fact have one
Changed it to installed yet it still doesn't recognise it and address book is still missing

It also wasn't getting dhcp to assign IP. I plugged network cable into my laptop and all was working fine.
I tried setting IP and all other setting such as gateway and DNS.
It remembers everything except the IP, it keeps going back to 0.0.0.0

I'm thinking the HDD is dead but then I don't think that explains the serial number blanking out.
Also if HDD was not detecting and HDD was set to installed I would of thought it would give a error?

It still copies OK just no network printing or scanning due to missing IP

Any ideas? Never had this sort of issue on these machines

blackcat4866
05-11-2014, 02:58 PM
My guess is that multiple PCB's have been changed, causing the serial number to be lost. It will take manufacturer participation to get it restored.

It's fairly common for the HDD to become UnSet all by itself. I would just change it to Set, then see if the functions returned. You can certainly change the HDD if required, but most likely you'll lose any video files, addressbook, network settings, user codes and possibly have to deal with licensing issues.
=^..^=

solidzdawg
05-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Something else to try is going into admin settings and under network setting turn it "off"

Reboot mfp via main power switch, and turn it back "on"

works for 601/751s ive encountered that wont hold ip

Thank you

Mr Spock
05-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Something else to try is going into admin settings and under network setting turn it "off"

Reboot mfp via main power switch, and turn it back "on"

works for 601/751s ive encountered that wont hold ip

Thank you

This works for me also. I have had to do the sd card reload/replacement on one that would not work using above procedure.

rrrohan
05-12-2014, 12:48 AM
My guess is that multiple PCB's have been changed, causing the serial number to be lost. It will take manufacturer participation to get it restored.

It's fairly common for the HDD to become UnSet all by itself. I would just change it to Set, then see if the functions returned. You can certainly change the HDD if required, but most likely you'll lose any video files, addressbook, network settings, user codes and possibly have to deal with licensing issues.
=^..^=

Why would I need the manufacturer to change serial number? I can do it myself in service mode

Sorry I meant B601 not B750

Originally network was set to off I changed this to on but never double checked to see if setting held so might of unset again?

I'm more concerned with the fact items in service mode are changing by them selves

rrrohan
05-12-2014, 05:41 AM
Why would I need the manufacturer to change serial number? I can do it myself in service mode

Originally network was set to off I changed this to on but never double checked to see if setting held so might of unset again?

I'm more concerned with the fact items in service mode are changing by them selves

i went back with a new HDD

For testing i unplugged it and tried to power up but it got stuck at the hour glass
i plugged HDD back in but still stuck at hour glass.

starting to thinks its a MFP NVRAM issue?

Hate the B751 series

Glad the replacment B754e is so much more reliable

Synaux
05-12-2014, 05:43 AM

I am not sure that the serial number issue is interfering with the NIC at all.

Flash the firmware (there are several and the filenames and descriptions are pathetically uninformative). More importantly, perform a CF card restore.

I had the same exact issue that you described regarding your IP settings in your OP. Do this and it should fix it (also ensure that the Network is not set in trouble isolation--take a look at my old post here (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/82143-konica-601-trouble-isolation-weirdness.html?highlight=)).

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the HDD has nothing to do with the IP addresses--a 601 does not need the HDD to operate in a networked environment.

rrrohan
05-12-2014, 05:53 AM
I am not sure that the serial number issue is interfering with the NIC at all.

Flash the firmware (there are several and the filenames and descriptions are pathetically uninformative). More importantly, perform a CF card restore.

I had the same exact issue that you described regarding your IP settings in your OP. Do this and it should fix it (also ensure that the Network is not set in trouble isolation--take a look at my old post here (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/82143-konica-601-trouble-isolation-weirdness.html?highlight=)).

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the HDD has nothing to do with the IP addresses--a 601 does not need the HDD to operate in a networked environment.

im going to try flashing GCS-20 shortly
The HDD stores the address book doesnt it? because that went missing which made me beleive HDD failure, that and the fact HDD capcity is set to unset even though HD is set to installed under options
I didnt know you could trouble isolate the network so didnt check. will have a look

Synaux
05-12-2014, 06:21 AM
im going to try flashing GCS-20 shortly
The HDD stores the address book doesnt it? because that went missing which made me beleive HDD failure, that and the fact HDD capcity is set to unset even though HD is set to installed under options
I didnt know you could trouble isolate the network so didnt check. will have a look

The CF card restore is probably more important.

The HDD, stores the addresses. The HDD should be set to UNSET if it is set to SET it means it will not operate.
The logic: When a device is SET in trouble isolation it is SET in isolation for troubleshooting. Only when a device is unset will it operate.

rrrohan
05-12-2014, 07:45 AM
What's a cf card restore??

blackcat4866
05-13-2014, 01:26 AM

The HDD, stores the addresses. The HDD should be set to UNSET if it is set to SET it means it will not operate.
The logic: When a device is SET in trouble isolation it is SET in isolation for troubleshooting. Only when a device is unset will it operate.

Sorry Synaux, that's not how I remember it. For Trouble Isolation ... yes, Set isolates it. But in Option Boards Set enables it. =^..^=

rrrohan
05-13-2014, 02:11 AM

Sorry Synaux, that's not how I remember it. For Trouble Isolation ... yes, Set isolates it. But in Option Boards Set enables it. =^..^= that's what is correct, not sure if he just worded it wrong

Going for a cf card restore once km tech support explain wtf that involves

Synaux
05-13-2014, 04:43 AM
Sorry Synaux, that's not how I remember it. For Trouble Isolation ... yes, Set isolates it. But in Option Boards Set enables it. =^..^=

Yes, are absolutely correct.
This is what I meant, but was only referring to the trouble isolation and forgot about the Option Board options.

Synaux
05-13-2014, 05:00 AM
that's what is correct, not sure if he just worded it wrong

The CF card restore is really easy.

First take the CF card out of the copier, then connect it to a computer.

Cut/paste the contents of the CF card into a new folder on your computer for backup purposes.

Download the bh601_base_new_processor.zip file under special firmware and unzip it and copy/paste into the now empty CF card.

Reinstall the CF card and power the MFP :)

Good Luck

Synaux
05-13-2014, 06:44 AM
that's what is correct, not sure if he just worded it wrong

The CF card restore is really easy.

First take the CF card out of the copier, then connect it to a computer.

Cut/paste the contents of the CF card into a new folder on your computer for backup purposes.

Download the bh601_base_new_processor.zip file under special firmware and unzip it and copy/paste into the now empty CF card.

Reinstall the CF card and power the MFP :)

Good Luck

rrrohan
05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
ok so i followed TAAU1000121EN

Worked like a charm.

the 3 files i suspect that had become corrupt were

appRom1.o
appRom2.o
appRom3.o

as when i tried to copy these to the backup folder it said the file name was to long

thanks so much for your help.

I was a little surprised to find out important info was stored on a permenent CF card but i guess on the bright side it allowed me to recover the files but had it been NV RAM it would of been more of a pain.

rrrohan
05-13-2014, 03:07 PM

Worked like a charm.

appRom1.o
appRom2.o
appRom3.o

as when i tried to copy these to the backup folder it said the file name was to long

I was a little surprised to find out important info was stored on a permenent CF card but i guess on the bright side it allowed me to recover the files but had it been NV RAM it would of been more of a pain.

ok spoke too soon

it was working perfectly up until i noticed it was not detecting A4 in tray 1 and 2 was some other size in inches

so i change the marketing area to Europe and AU which fixed this but it was at that point it lost the plot again

back to square one

one thing i am a bit confused about is during the CF Recovery it says to make a backup of the files before you run the recovery. why? at no point does it tell you to use the backed up data so whats the point? was i meant to run the recovery then put the old files back? and if not why bother making the backup if your not going to use it?

emujo
05-13-2014, 05:31 PM
The backup is in case you screw something up with the recovery process, or now the situation is worse, you can just put the original card info back. Once you do the base recovery, you have to start reloading firmware to get the machine current. I advise going in steps from phase 1 to 2, to latest. I also remember that the base firmware was originally posted from a KMBS MFP. When you did the recovery, all of the info was from their settings, and some of this had to be changed. Not sure if they ever corrected that...meaning that you may have to unset the fax, or set the HDD, change the network settings and so on. Emujo

EarthKmTech
05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
just order a new cf card - its a spare part, they are in stock and it plugs into the top board at the back of the machine and is under the little metal 2 screw cover at the right hand rear side.

You will need to setup the machine again.

If you dont know what your doing in regards to restoring the card its a waste of time and the machine will become completely inoperable till you give up and change it.

Synaux
05-14-2014, 05:17 AM
ok spoke too soon

it was working perfectly up until i noticed it was not detecting A4 in tray 1 and 2 was some other size in inches

so i change the marketing area to Europe and AU which fixed this but it was at that point it lost the plot again

back to square one

First, as already said, start with the firmware and re-"install" the machine from scratch.

Wat did it start/stop doing once you changed the marketing area?
Did you check the trouble isolation and option board statuses?
Do you mean the network stoped working again?

Seeing how the marketing area is somehow causing an issue, change the marketing area back and go to System 2 > Paper Tray Size > A4.

If you dont know what your doing in regards to restoring the card its a waste of time and the machine will become completely inoperable till you give up and change it.

How so? It is simply cutting, copying and pasting files...as long as you don't format the card to some absurd filesystem or add partitions or something far outside the directions, its pretty cut and dry.

Once you do the base recovery, you have to start reloading firmware to get the machine current. I advise going in steps from phase 1 to 2, to latest. I also remember that the base firmware was originally posted from a KMBS MFP. When you did the recovery, all of the info was from their settings, and some of this had to be changed. Not sure if they ever corrected that...meaning that you may have to unset the fax, or set the HDD, change the network settings and so on. Emujo
I don't think they corrected it--I am pretty sure you have to set the option board options.

rrrohan beware:
The base firmware for these models is a mess. The file naming conventions do not make any sense and the accompanying documentation for each firmware is confusing (at least to me).

rrrohan's issues are very similar to my experiences with this turds.
After the card restore and trying to flash the firmware from the earliest release to the newest I was left scratching my head many times.

Half the documentation dates were wrong and I installed one firmware that screwed it up and had to start over simply because the machine I was working on didn't have a blue sticker (I do not recall the specifics anymore though).......

Synaux
05-14-2014, 05:44 AM

Worked like a charm.

appRom1.o
appRom2.o
appRom3.o

By the way, file name/path being too long was most likely an issue with your operating system and has nothing to do with the card. Next time cut/paste to c:/ and I bet you will have no issues (assuming you are using Windows).

And I happened to find the bulletin discussing the blue sticker issue I had--I found it in the middle of the huge stack of bulletins on my desk! Bulletin 8088

Downunder
05-14-2014, 07:59 AM
There are two flash cards on the copier, one easily accessible (by network port behind metal frame) and another one behind the network board. When the cards are new they have a few files on them, When the copiers are run up the copier writes more files to the cards. In the past I have ordered new cards and taken a copy of the contents. When having bootup problems I cut (not delete) the information off the old card and paste on the new card's information. Or you could just put on the new cards. you will need to enter serial number and reload other set-up functions.
Hope this helps. Biz 421 and 501 have these issues as well.

rrrohan
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Well I ordered then installed the new card today
Reload firmware and set up serial, marketing area and so fourth

So far so good

The new card is sandisk. The old one was some brand I never heard of. I suspect the card was faulty considering a cf card restore temp fixed it previous.

Guess any machine that's done 5 million copies is bound to fail

RRodgers
05-16-2014, 05:25 AM
On the times I've had IP holding issue's it was usually due to not shutting the copier off at the POWER SWITCH (NOT BUTTON) when it asked you too. I found that the button was turned off first then the switch and this is when it wouldn't hold the IP. The screen does say shut off the main switch.
HTH

Custom Search