PDA

View Full Version : BizHub 350 getting spam email reports?

Custom Search

dml219
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
We have a BizHub 350 that is not behind a firewall. It has a dedicated IP out to the internet. A month ago, it starting spewing out reports that indicate spamming type emails are either being sent or somehow the copier is being targeted. Our copier techs told us to change our IP. We assigned a new IP and as soon as we connected it to the network, it started spewing out reports again.

I have asked our techs to delve further. They have no solutions. They told me that ports cannot be closed on the copier itself. I asked them if we can limit IP ranges, and they said no. I am sure that is not the case, so I am posting for some help here.

Thanks so much!

Copierdave
04-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Maybe there is some really good reason why you have network exposed to the entire internet and every ***hole hacker in the world with a port sniffer.. I am curious what that possible could be.
Personally I feel it is somewhat reckless having anything out on the WWW without some kind of firewall.
That being said, turn off the incoming pop mail. You probably only want to email out anyway.
Even if you turn off all email capabilities, anyone on the www could set up your machine to print out thousands of documents just to jack with you.
I apologize for the rant. But as you already noted, you are already being attacked by spam.

dml219
04-15-2008, 02:56 AM
I agree. I don't know exactly why our network is set up this way. Servers are behind firewalls, but our machines and printers are not. Since I am not the copier tech, is there more specific instructions as to where to go to turn off the pop email?

Agent86
04-15-2008, 04:42 AM
two questions/comments:

1. How many workstations/network devices does this organization have?

2. Why are you paying for dedicated IP address for your copiers/printers? With the money your wasting on that you could buy an affordable router, with firewall, and be done with it?

3. Fire whoever is doing your IT work, there is just about no reason to have that shit open to the outside world.

Sorry for the flames but it just had to be said :confused:

dogsbody
04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Everyone has said it better than i could already so i wont comment about your network.

I would like to see the page that it prints, if you could post it would be good.

I had a large client who's network was set up well who's 350, after a fax kit was installed started printing reams of error pages. long story short had to turn on IP filtering. Your tech should know how (if he doesn't someone in his office should) to do this.

dml219
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I work for a University that has always worked this way. I will not answer anyone's comments further about the network, seeing that I have no power to change that part. I am asking how we can change and protect the copier. Thanks for all comments.

Christan
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Could you post your network config for the copier, or you might want to check you e-mail setting that you have not enable polling for you pop addresss.
chris

NotByChoice
04-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I work for a University that has always worked this way. I will not answer anyone's comments further about the network, seeing that I have no power to change that part. I am asking how we can change and protect the copier. Thanks for all comments.

There is no reason for the copier to have an external IP and be on the internet. It just makes no sense. The solution is to give the copier a local (internal) IP from your network. Like 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X

dml219
04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks Christan. I have forwarded this information to the copy technicians who hold the administrator password to the copier to change these settings. Still waiting to hear back.

Custom Search