Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC-8950DW Paper Jam Issue

Re: Brother MFC-8950DW Paper Jam Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Natebond View Post
    Elmtech, sorry for the all of the questions. Should I remove the ADF and top tray to clean the inside? I've never needed to disassemble a printer to do a cleaning like this so I am uncertain how far I should disassemble it. What do you mean by hv contacts?
    Now, after the compressor? Yes.

Blowing toner around in an enclosed area is unproductive at best, and can re-locate toner into optical sensors, just like your machine. I use an eyelash wand (without the black sticky stuff) to clean the small cavities in the photointerrupters. Are you familiar with the operation of photointerrupters? There is an LED light source shining through a small slit, through another small slit to the receiver. The flag breaks the light beam ... or not. It's very easy to get toner or dust trapped in those slits. Using air can blow that toner into the next sensor.

How far should you disassemble? Far enough to properly clean the sensors. Also make sure the all the flags are intact, and return springs in place, and the flags don't stick. How many sensors could there be? 3? Maybe 4 at most? Look in the manual. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thanks, in advance, for any info.
    Very interesting. thanks for sharing.

ไฮไลท์บอล คู่เด็ดเมื่อคืน ทุกคู่ ทุกแมต ได้ที่นี่ ไฮไลท์ฟุตบอลเมื่อคืน

Technician

I wanted to update everyone on what worked for me to fix the printer. The test drum that I had ordered during our on going discussion arrived before I fully disassembled the printer to clean the front sensors. I was actually in the process of disassembly when my friendly UPS guy arrived with the drum. I had cleaned the back/exit sensor, though that did not appear to fix the issue. Once I installed the new drum the printer immediately worked flawlessly. They had been using a 3rd party drum in the printer. I also used a 3rd party drum as well. It's possible that when the toner was blown it gummed up a gear in the drum. In either case I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. This forum is as always an awesome place to go for printer advice! Thank you again!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC-8950DW Paper Jam Issue

Congratulations on your success. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by Natebond View Post
    Once I installed the new drum the printer immediately worked flawlessly. They had been using a 3rd party drum in the printer. I also used a 3rd party drum as well. It's possible that when the toner was blown it gummed up a gear in the drum.
    I work on Brother printers and faxes alot. From my experience, if the problem was with the drum and happened after you used compress air on it, my best guess is contamination of the charge unit causing electrical arcing. In the early days, when arcing occurs, it causes the machine to throw up all kind of strange errors, mainly paper jam and the machine just stop abruptly. The newer machines would also give you drum error message. I see them all the time especially when using 3rd party toner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I did mention earlier in the post it could be the toner or drum cartridge. Your reply was "the drum and toner was worked before the compressed air cleaning" I didn't catch that phrase earlier, but everything worked before the compressed air cleaning, so why would the toner and drum be excluded from trouble shooting, especially a third party product of all things? Happy to hear you solved this issue and thank you for posting it!

Technician

did you try replacing the fuser unit?? we had that kind of problem here, like blurry print, or sometimes jam rear, or then jam duplex. so we changed the fuser unit and everything is working good. the fuser unit is the most common problem in those type of machines