Brother MFC 9840cdw Print Saturation Issues (sorry if this is a duplicate - I am new)

Hi,

I have a beloved Brother Mfc 9840cdw. For quite some time (probably 5 years) the middle of a color printed page is always missing saturation. I actually have up and bought a new Mfc L9570cdw last week. And, I even have the old printer up for sale. Then I got to thinking about how wonderful a printer it is and that I have 2 kids in college that would kill to have this. So, I started looking at videos to see if I could figure out the problem. I will tell you what I have done so far....

Replaced toner cartridges
    Cleaned Corona wires using green slider tabs
    Replaced drum unit
    Cleaned drum unit
    Cleaned belt
    Cleaned inside of machine
    Auto and manually calibrated registration

About the only thing I haven't done is replace waste toner box (it has never instructed me to do so), replace fuser, replace laser. I have only 25k prints (15k color) on the machine. Parts life is at 67% (fuser), laser and pf1 kit (75%), drum and belt (90%) and PF mp kit (100%).

No matter what I do, I can't seem to even the color saturation. And, it doesn't seem to be related to a single color, as the test print page shows lighter saturation on every color line, whether cyan, magenta, yellow or a combination (although, yellow appears the most even, but it could be that the color makes it hard to discern, and cyan appears least even, but, again, it could be that's the easiest contrast to see). Changing toner cartridges did not help this. Interestingly and even more baffling, black and gray scale seem to have no problem with even saturation. I'll attach the test print and sample page as photos.

I would love to be able to fix this and pass it down. Do you think there is any hope?

Any suggestions, diagnosis, or how to's would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is a duplicate post, as I tried to do this about 10 minutes ago, but the post never showed up in the forum.

Kindest regards,
    Andrea Finkelstein
    602-390-3534
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC 9840cdw Print Saturation Issues (sorry if this is a duplicate - I am new)

Re: Brother MFC 9840cdw Print Saturation Issues (sorry if this is a duplicate - I am

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea87 View Post
    Hi,

I have a beloved Brother Mfc 9840cdw. For quite some time (probably 5 years) the middle of a color printed page is always missing saturation. I actually have up and bought a new Mfc L9570cdw last week. And, I even have the old printer up for sale. Then I got to thinking about how wonderful a printer it is and that I have 2 kids in college that would kill to have this. So, I started looking at videos to see if I could figure out the problem. I will tell you what I have done so far....

Replaced toner cartridges
    Cleaned Corona wires using green slider tabs
    Replaced drum unit
    Cleaned drum unit
    Cleaned belt
    Cleaned inside of machine
    Auto and manually calibrated registration

About the only thing I haven't done is replace waste toner box (it has never instructed me to do so), replace fuser, replace laser. I have only 25k prints (15k color) on the machine. Parts life is at 67% (fuser), laser and pf1 kit (75%), drum and belt (90%) and PF mp kit (100%).

No matter what I do, I can't seem to even the color saturation. And, it doesn't seem to be related to a single color, as the test print page shows lighter saturation on every color line, whether cyan, magenta, yellow or a combination (although, yellow appears the most even, but it could be that the color makes it hard to discern, and cyan appears least even, but, again, it could be that's the easiest contrast to see). Changing toner cartridges did not help this. Interestingly and even more baffling, black and gray scale seem to have no problem with even saturation. I'll attach the test print and sample page as photos.

I would love to be able to fix this and pass it down. Do you think there is any hope?

Any suggestions, diagnosis, or how to's would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is a duplicate post, as I tried to do this about 10 minutes ago, but the post never showed up in the forum.

Kindest regards,
    Andrea Finkelstein
    602-390-3534

one thing you should try is cleaning the slit glass on the laser units

Re: Brother MFC 9840cdw Print Saturation Issues (sorry if this is a duplicate - I am

Thanks Phil! Great suggestion! I will try that. But, it doesn't only do it on scans. It does it on the test print that is generated within the machine and any prints sent by computer, as well. Any other ideas? Keep 'em coming. 😊

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea87 View Post
    Thanks Phil! Great suggestion! I will try that. But, it doesn't only do it on scans. It does it on the test print that is generated within the machine and any prints sent by computer, as well. Any other ideas? Keep 'em coming. 😊
    i'm not saying clean the ADF scanner./.. clean the LASER Slit Glass above the drums.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Not sure if I'm thinking of the right machine.
    One model of Brother machines had faulty mylar in the PCU units over time.
    The mylar strip glued on the base of the dev/toner unit would lift up, causing toner built up on the dev roller.

I'd have to see the dev unit to be sure.

Might be something to check for...

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••