Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brother MFC9440 32 error

Hi all.

I got a call on this problem today. When you try to print or copy, it gives a 32 error in the display. Past threads have indicated it might be a dirty transfer belt sensor. Funny thing is, it will print an internal print (user setting list, etc) no problem, but when you copy or print, it gives the 32 error. So that would eliminate the dirty sensor, wouldn't it? Scanner is moving, just won't start the printing process when copying or printing.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks.... Jeff M.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Brother MFC9440 32 error

There are a couple of 3x.x errors on these brothers that are related to solenoids inside the machine. I think this might be one of them. The pad on the solenoid gets sticky and the solenoid sticks. There are two of them in this machine. One is in the back, under the transfer unit and under the plastic or metal cover for the board that sits there. The other is off to the side somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyway--you're probably just looking at a sticking solenoid. I think the internal prints you got out of it were just coincidental. It probably wouldn't continue to print them for long.

Or I'm wrong, and this problem has nothing to do with the solenoids. But I'm just sharing what I can pull out of this decrepit, old memory of mine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC9440 32 error

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

ok--on page eleven of that document, it shows the board I was talking about. On that board, there is a solenoid. I'd bet my right arm that the solenoid is sticking.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC9440 32 error

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff M. View Post
    Hi all.

Thanks.... Jeff M.
    did you get it?

I did get it, and my apologies for taking so long to respond. Thanks, Phil B. and theengel for your responses. I did check for and paper or buildup of toner inside, and it's actually pretty clean. I'm thinking it's not sticking solenoids, because when you tried to copy or print, you got the error every time. When I did the internal prints, it worked every time. And I tried copying after the internal print, and then the internal print again after the error came up trying to copy and print. Each time the internal print worked fine, so I don't think it's a coinkydink. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this one....
    I'm going back today for another look, but I think it may be best for him to replace it, as it's getting a little on in years. I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks again for your responses, it is truly appreciated. Jeff M.

As others have said it will be the solenoid on the board under the fuser sticking !!!!!!!
    Why ask for help if you are not prepared to even look at what people suggest.

I have had this error on numerous different machines and it is always this solenoid.
    A small piece of tape between the frame of the solenoid and the plunger fixes it every time.

The reason this error occurs is that this solenoid opens the cover on the sensor that sets up the colour alignment from the patches created on the transfer belt. If the cover remains closed the machine cannot set colour registration so errors out

Dickie: With all due respect, I didn't say I wouldn't look at the solenoid. I've actually run into this on a lot of HPs and Kyoceras, so I know it's a common issue. And I said I was going back to look at it. What I did say, in not so many words, was that it didn't make sense to me, because internal prints were not a problem, just copies and prints from the computer. But yes, I will be looking at the solenoid. Actually, I hope it IS the problem, but I'm not hopeful.

If I ask for help, I'm open to whatever anyone suggests, because you never know. But I also try to look at it logically. Maybe that's a bad thing in some people's books, but that's the way I am, and after 41 years of doing this, I'm probably not going to change.

Jeff M.

I was finally able to get back to the customer today, and yes.... the solenoid was sticking, and that seemed to fix the problem. THANK YOU! I still don't know why the internal prints worked, but I'm not going to dwell on it any longer. It works, learn from it and move on! You learn something everyday, and I'm

Thank you again, theengel (looks like you can keep your right arm!), Phil B and Dickie, for your help. It is truly appreciated. Jeff M.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC9440 32 error

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    ... Why ask for help if you are not prepared to even look at what people suggest? ...
    Get used to it Dickie.

There can be a lot of reasons:
    1) pride
    2) It wasn't my idea
    3) It sounds too hard. Isn't there an easier way to fix it?
    4) I don't understand, and don't want to admit it. I might look stupid.
    5) wouldn't that involve ... like opening a manual or something?

Fill in yourself:
    6)
    7)
    8)

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=