Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HL-3170CDW Will automatically restart... error

Hi,
    Our printer had an issue with the fuser roller (it was ripped) making indentations in the paper. I have ordered a cheap replacement from China (ebay) and replaced it.
    I have noticed a strong overheating smell, but it did printed few pages. Then later on I keep getting this message "Self diagnostic will automatically restart within 15 minutes".
    I was wondering if this is due to the cheap replacement part which maybe overheats.
    Thanks so much!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: HL-3170CDW Will automatically restart... error

Quote Originally Posted by johnd89 View Post
    Hi,
    Our printer had an issue with the fuser roller (it was ripped) making indentations in the paper. I have ordered a cheap replacement from China (ebay) and replaced it.
    I have noticed a strong overheating smell, but it did printed few pages. Then later on I keep getting this message "Self diagnostic will automatically restart within 15 minutes".
    I was wondering if this is due to the cheap replacement part which maybe overheats.
    Thanks so much!
    Yes most likely it IS the fuser...

But that is an over heat error!

1) pull fuser check to make sure no:a* paper wrapped on upper roller b* the thin brown film w/ metal trace visible? no? call supplier.
    2) clean out all fans and exit grids (canned air with machine off fuser/drum/toner out
    3) reassemble and test

you couldn't have gotten the wrong Voltage unit..different error

email binky27501@gmail.com if that doesn't work.

umm.. you DID reset the fuser error/counts right?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Agree with Phil.
    If your cheap and maybe wrong Fuser melted down, there will be too much load on drive gears, thus this:
    The message 'Self Diagnostic Will Automatically restart in 15 minutes' will appear on the display if there is a mechanical malfunction of the Brother machine.
    Remove the Fuser and turn gears by hand, if cannot at all, it's toast.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. In the end I did left it on and it reset itself and I was able to print.
    I will try your suggestions.
    To reset the fuser errors is this ok?
    Quoting jermaine
    "
    a. Press OK button, then GO button, next press UP (+) arrow button 4 timesNOTE: To enter the maintenance mode, you must press the GO button within 2 secondsafter pressing the OK button. Also, you need to press the Up arrow button within 2seconds after pressing the GO button.
    b. Press Up (+) or Down (-) arrow keys until display shows “Maintenance 88”
    c. Press OK button. “Reset-Fuser Unit” is displayed on the LCD
    d. Press OK “Reset-Fuser Unit OK?” is displayed on the LCD
    e. Press Ok to reset the fuser life.
    f.Press Cancel button return to initial state of maintenance mode.
    g. Press Up (+) or Down (-) arrow key until “Maintenance 99” is displayed.
    Press OK to exit maintenance mode.
    "

I have read that these cheap chinese rollers on ebay are different from original and there is a possibility of overheating. Was thinking to put a dimmer on the halogen lamp inside the fuser...

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the quick replies. In the end I did left it on and it reset itself and I was able to print.
    I will try your suggestions.
    To reset the fuser errors is this ok?
    Quoting jermaine
    "
    a. Press OK button, then GO button, next press UP (+) arrow button 4 timesNOTE: To enter the maintenance mode, you must press the GO button within 2 secondsafter pressing the OK button. Also, you need to press the Up arrow button within 2seconds after pressing the GO button.
    b. Press Up (+) or Down (-) arrow keys until display shows “Maintenance 88”
    c. Press OK button. “Reset-Fuser Unit” is displayed on the LCD
    d. Press OK “Reset-Fuser Unit OK?” is displayed on the LCD
    e. Press Ok to reset the fuser life.
    f.Press Cancel button return to initial state of maintenance mode.
    g. Press Up (+) or Down (-) arrow key until “Maintenance 99” is displayed.
    Press OK to exit maintenance mode.
    "

I have read that these cheap chinese rollers on ebay are different from original and there is a possibility of overheating. Was thinking to put a dimmer on the halogen lamp inside the fuser...

Thanks again!
    Thats to be used when you put a NEW FUSER in.. it resets the PAGE COUNTER/Maint Counter

a DIMMER? WTF? that lamp/resistor array ( instant on fuser..film type) NEED full power to operate... otherwise they kick AN ERROR!

Sorry to ask.. have you EVER been trained on laser printer/copier theory?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts ntbann's Avatar

Why buy cheep Chinese junk when you can order an OEM fuser that are not that much more. We have never had any luck with the knock off shit!

Quote Originally Posted by ntbann View Post
    Why buy cheep Chinese junk when you can order an OEM fuser that are not that much more. We have never had any luck with the knock off shit!
    I have it easy.. other than scanners.. I have been cert'd on all their lines...soooo I ONLY use Genuine Brother.. wouldn't risk losing a customer using that china shit.. not even toners.

Hello,
    Thanks for the answers.
    I wasn't able to find the roller by itself as a spare part and I have learned that what I ordered from ebay was a copy only after I got it.
    I have found the whole fuser unit as a replacement but it's almost the price I have paid for the whole printer.
    To tell the truth I was a bit disapointed with the durability of the fuser (in the light duty home enviro) but who knows, maybe if I would have used original toners (not refilled) the fuser would have lasted longer (so many if's).
    So far it works but I will keep in mind your suggestions, thanks again.

Hello,
    Thanks for the answers.
    I wasn't able to find the roller by itself as a spare part and I have learned that what I ordered from ebay was a copy only after I got it.
    I have found the whole fuser unit as a replacement but it's almost the price I have paid for the whole printer.
    To tell the truth I was a bit disapointed with the durability of the fuser (in the light duty home enviro) but who knows, maybe if I would have used original toners (not refilled) the fuser would have lasted longer (so many if's).
    I would NEVER used generic nor refills.. Bro has a tight copyright on formulations of ink and toners. Yes that can be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Technician

Hello,
    Thanks for the answers.

hello
    where you able to fix that printer and do you know if it is still working? i´m stuck with the same problem.