Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Brother HL-645 Laser

First Brother laser I am servicing. Cust bought a new Drum / Toner Unit in DEc, has like 300 or so copies on it, and now it has a dark print problem, and the contrast potentiometer on the back does not make a difference.

I read on usenet there were some older defective drum units that were suppose to be updated with newer kinds, but theres no way to know how to ID them. Brother said its possible if the unit sits in stock for a long time, the part may be degraded....is that true? The cust tried cleaning the corona wire and the optics to no avail. They did say the forst time cleaning the corona fixed the problem, but it came back. Otherwise I am thinking the voltage output of the HVPS may be low? When the corona gets dirty is that a sign of low HV on the wire? Cant get the HVPS board anymore so it would have to be a component level fix on the board. Anyone experienced with this series or have a recommendation besides telling the cust to get a new unit? The laser couldnt cause this problem could it?

Techtime
    Have them call Brother. They are very good at working with the customer/enduser on such problems..