Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician 250+ Posts

please insert card message brother mfc-7220

I got a brother mfc-7220 with please insert card message. Tried to get to maint. mode to reset it, but can't seem to get into maint. mode. It was probably set up to be a vend I guess. Anyone have any ideas? I tried two different way listed in the service manual, but no luck.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Is there some sort of a compatable card reader option? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 250+ Posts
    I don't see any options like card readers. There is some kind of memory security. It's strange I can't get to maint. mode. If I could I could initialize the eeproms and re enter the country code. Maybe I'm not entering the code correctly for maint. mode? Manual shows two ways and I tried them both.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've been randomly searching the manual with no useful results.

At first I thought that maybe there was some sort of flash card to download firmware from. Incorrect. Firmware is loaded via TCP/IP or USB and the Eeprom is not removable. I seem to remember a case in which a couple specific keys must be held down to initiate a firmware upload when powering up. If those keys are stuck down, the machine will automatically initiate a firmware download at power On. It still might be something to check...(stuck panel keys).

Then I thought there might be some sort of optional interface card. Also incorrect. It comes as-is. You can't even upgrade the memory. No spare slots.

If you can't enter service mode, there isn't much left to do but order a main PCB (LG6086001). I'm thinking that you came to the same conclusions. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 250+ Posts
    So after a little bit or research I find out that the place that had this machine had special firmware installed. (who knew you could even do this!) This allows them to connect the machine to their own credit card option or something like that. Everything has been locked out. I am hearing that they have a way of disabling this feature and I am trying to get the low down on it. Blackcat you are right. If I replace the control board with a new one then of course all would work okay. New control pwb = new eeproms. As I do not want to spend a penny on this machine, either I disable the vend or out to the dumpster it goes! Would be a shame as it is a multifunction device. I am sure it would make a great donation to a special needs program or school.
    Thanks for the input Blackcat. I appreciate the time you spent researching this issue. If I get this bad boy working and find a program that can use it I will give you mention in the donation. Regards!