Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Brother mfc 8860 /tray noise

HI,
    I thought I posted this before,but couldnt find post. I have seen before on these machines .Problem comes and goes.Tray is grinding when trying to lift paper from tray.,I ordered new tray but it didnt help.I thought brother had bulletin about this issue.Are there any gears from drive side of machine that drive the paper lift that I may need to order(Yes I looked at parts manual but not sure which gear usually causes problem)I have never taken one apart,Is this easier to work.or does brother design in way that makes this a project? Thanks for any help,and always helping.
    ANDY

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if this will help you, but I had a DPC-7040 once that would not lift the paper tray. One of the gears in the lift drive train is on a plastic shaft which is part of the left frame. The shaft itself had broken off.

It looks nearly impossible to disassemble. I did a MacGyver fix on it. There is an existing 1.5 mm hole through the frame and into the damaged shaft. I got everything lined up properly, coated a piece of coathanger in 5 minute epoxy, and slid it into the hole to keep everything lined up. I advised the customer not to use the machine until the next morning at soonest to let the glue dry. The service call was on a Friday. They powered it up on Monday and it worked. It's still working today.

I haven't had to work on the lift mechanism of the 8860, but it may be similar to this one. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

HI,
    Thanks for tip.Ill take closer look at gear and shaft thru frame.It didint feel loose or wobbly,but anything is wort a shot.
    ANDY

aosman
    I fix a lot of Brothers. If it clicks, then the paper sensor next to the feed roller assembly is pulled to far forward, this prevents the tray from lifting upward, causing grinding in the lift mechanism. You need to carefully angle that sensor arm backwards to its home position.

HI,

Thanks vfor breply. I have little experience on these machines but have 3 machines that periodically do this, Im going on Monday to check the machine which is causing the biggest problem with this. Ill let you know how it turns out.
    thanks again, ANDY

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar
    Check the paper end guide in the cassete - usually it should sit tight to the paper stack but that leads to problem with some brother machines. You might be fine if you loosen the paper end guide one or two locking steps.

Checking the actuator is a good hint as well - I had one dislocated just a few days ago and it does the same symptome.