Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    manuel

Linux PC says network "printer stopped responding"

I have an MFC 7460DN. It's been doing a good job so far but now with a recent Linux, I am encountering a strange problem. After I print a page in Linux, a message pops up that says the printer may not be connected. I cannot even ping the printer anymore. However, a Windows PC in the same network can continue using the printer without problems. In order to resolve the Linux problem, I need to power cycle the printer, after which I can print exactly one page on the Linux machine before the same problem starts anew. Has anyone experienced something similar? I am using Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr.
    The printer is in my local network and gets its IP with DHCP. It tried all possibilities to configure the printer in Linux, the behavior is always the same.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Linux PC says network "printer stopped responding"

Re: Linux PC says network "printer stopped responding"

Are you on a 1GB/s or 100MB/s network? On some Konica Minoltas when a 1GB capable MFP is connected to a 100MB network, and the connection speed is set to Auto, the machine will print exactly one page then it locks up (won't print anything from any PC). The workaround for the KM's is to set the connection speed manually to 100MB/s. Also you might try setting a static IP.

It sounds sort-of similar to me. Maybe that will help. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-23-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

manuel

Thanks, but the printer is not capable of 1GBit. Also, not all machines in the network loose connectivity to the printer, only the Linux machines.

It used to have a static IP and I switched to DHCP in a futile attempt to resolve the problem.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I had problem, although at home, with the Brother laser printer I had just bought a few months ago.

All 3 of my PCs (XP and Win 7) printed OK, as well as my Android phone.

Our 2 iPads, however, would only print after one of the other nodes printed first, and would continue to print until the printer went to low power mode, then refuse to print. Print again from a PC or my phone, and iPad printing would work again.

Turned out that a just released firmware update for the printer fixed an issue with AirPrint. Been good ever since.

A different problem, but just may be similar.

You also may also want to check some of the Ubuntu support forums; they tend to have lots of good info as the Linux (especially Ubuntu) community is HUGE.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins