Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Should I request a refund

History

I am an end user/hack. I have been maintaining our machines since 2010 when everybody ran out of money. My company is run out of a home office. I recently on 1/9/15 purchased a Toshiba 855 cheeeeeeep as a backup machine to our 810 which can be bipolar at times. It was delivered about a week later and stored in our garage temporarily. Then we got smacked with several snow storms in the northeast. Cape Cod MA. Machine stayed in garage, AKA warehouse. My primary machine decided it would like to make my life interesting in April, snow still on the ground and no way to get machine into office. I ran power into the warehouse and plugged the machine in and it started up. I was happy and excited for all of 3 seconds. The display did not lite up. I waited and waited. I now was definitely no longer happy. Thinking something could have come loose during transport I tore into the machine at mach 3 and could not find any disconnected harnesses from the control panel. I have no experience with the 855 I have had several 810's and a 550 similar but different.

I don't have time for this! Business is getting busy again.

Called my old tech. He showed up a week later with a second tech and declared it needed a part. My business partner, I was out, said order the part. That was three months and two phone calls ago. SO I find the only two authorized Toshiba dealers near me and call. One doesn't work on 855's. The other sent two techs. They get into the machine. Five minuets later found a problem, no hard drive. Tech indicated that it would need updating an installation of firmware....ect. I said do it. He said it could be expensive, doesn't know about the control panel ect ect, could be $1000. I said order the parts and make it happen. Tech said he needed to talk to his boss to find out if they would get into it. ??????? That was 15 days ago.

I don't have the time for this.

I called and am willing to pay hundreds of dollars an hour for 100% trained professionals to handle it. So one night I came home a little drunk.... I ordered a replacement hard drive on Monday 7/16/15, I also sent in an offer on e-bay for a 856 some company in New Hampshire had. They were not supposed to accept my offer of $3400 delivered I was drunk, thats spelled "DuMas". 856 arrived following Tuesday straight into office. Repaired a fishbowl of minor problems, machine runs beautifully.

Received replacement hard drive today Friday, popped it in and display came on and indicated " can not start app". long story short I updated all the firmware except for the hard drive as it was the latest version. I am happy and angry. My machine now works. SO after 3 hours reading and 30 minuets of having that feeling you would have falling off a cliff without a parachute while I was updating the firmware in the machine chanting my mantra "please don't brick, please don't brick, please don't brick " I now have working 855 too.

So my question is should I firmly ask for the fee I paid for the TWO incompetent techs that have not repaired my machine.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Re: Should I request a refund

Yes, you should diffenetly ask for a refund - but, I would bet against a response, or a refund.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think that I would ask for that refund. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'd ask for a refund too.
    One thing to look out for, the hard drives are being removed from many machines before they are put up for resale. That is being done due to the security concerns of the prior user. So never assume that a machine you get will have the hard drive installed, but check first to be sure.