Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Promotion?

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Promotion?

Re: Promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Also i might add, and i don't know if other techs do it. but if the machine is working first thing i do is print the service mode settings as sometimes you make changes in trying things and forget the original settings, plus you have the meter ect.
    Good techs will get a print out of settings, if possible; and a test copy for before and after results. You need a starting point for comparisons' sake, so you know if you have a good fix or you F'ed it up.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    While you are out on the road, you will encounter a few people who must drive very differently than you. While it is hard, it is best to not get too upset when you encounter them. The stress is not good for you.
    Also, you may make a wrong turn or get lost once in a while, and some addresses are not marked very well, or at all (GPS and Google Maps are fine navigational aids, but they are not infallible). Consider those times adventures and challenges to your manual navigational skills. Even feel free to park the car and set out on foot if you think you are close and the conditions allow it.
    If you ever get stopped by public safety professionals, don't give them any crap. Many times they will let you off with a warning then. Sometimes when they tell you why they pulled you over it will give you an insight into the local laws that you hadn't even considered.
    Unless you have extreme trust in everybody who may pass your car, always lock the car when you leave it (ever other techs can be crafty bastages sometimes). If conditions allow it, carry the extra key in your wallet or something in case you get locked out.

Its amazing how you can perfect the art of getting lost.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Its amazing how you can perfect the art of getting lost.

Just thinking of the days before google and smartphones and had to use hard copy maps, holding the map in one hand and driving, answering the mike at the same time, swerving to avoid . Ah, then i figured out, if i am going any long distance call, i would call the customer and get the intersections to make sure that it matches . today my co worker was demonstrating that he can open his garage door from work and monitor his home outside with his phone. whew, all this happened in a snap, just a few years. think of it.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Technician

Thank you everyone for the insight definitely some good info. Hopefully the transition is smooth

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Being a field tech you will find the customers are a lot like a box of mixed chocolates. Some are really sweet, some leave a bad taste in your mouth and some are really nutty. They all look good on the outside, you have to take a bite to find which is which.
    As Forrest Gumpp put it, "Life is like a box of chochlates".
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Assuming you will be doing some driving (not all field tech's do), treat yourself to a GPS, if you don't already have one. Even if you splurge and spend a bunch on it, you will be happy you did when you need it.

Also, if you travel to areas you're not familiar with, use Google Earth to get a picture of the customer location once you have the address. That can really help with buildings that don't have their address clearly displayed. That trick saved my bacon a few months ago when travelling to a new account in a strange land.

Congrats, and good luck!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iceman490 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the insight definitely some good info. Hopefully the transition is smooth
    Good luck on your transition. I think field is way to go.

It's a promotion if your pay increases becoming field tech, which sounds like the case in your dealership. Listen to customers on sight, get them to explain in their words what is going on with the gear.

Customers want their equipment to work first and foremost, any number of qualified techs can keep gear running. Build up a relationship with your on site contacts, a minute of small chat before diving into the problem can help build your professional relationship with clients, you are interested in them as a person not just a client. Be honest with them about what the problem with the machine is, and what it will take to fix it. Ask your support chain for help when you are stuck on a problem in the field. Over time you will build up a reputation in the field, your office will hear about it, clients will be glad to see you, and more often than not they will renew with your dealer when contract is due, or buy new equipment. Like all walks of like some people are just ass-hats out there and just have to be as polite and courteous.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

what is the pay difference, any bonus opportunities ?

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Good luck on your transition. I think field is way to go.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

This just came to my mind in a zap. Went to a call and parked my car in front of a snow bank. that year we had huge snow fall. was exiting my car and then bang, a guy with a bicycle hit my door and flew of the bike. I thought the guy had died or badly injured. well he got up and asked me if his jacket was dirty, i was flabagasted. well it turned out well, i still reported it though. So before you exit your car, check your mirror or look briefly. [yes, lots of people riding bikes in the winter, mainly downtown, as transportation nowdays is expensive.]
    The same goes for parking your car. let your senses prevail and not the rush to get to the call. If you get tickets, the company does not reimburse you, at lease ours don't, unless you can prove you had no alternative.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke