Technician

The Numbers Game

To those working at big dealers or OEM's. How do you deal with the numbers game? Loose sleep over it. Or do what's best for the machine and customers.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: The Numbers Game

Show me a numbers program at ANY dealership and in three months I will show you how to hit the numbers. The one I concentrate on is technician efficiency or productivity. Add total calls minus reschedules and recalls and divide into total number of days worked and there you go. Fair, easy to calculate and you get a true picture of what each tech. can handle.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Having said that, how you treat the numbers game depends on who you're working for. If it a large, ugly corporation that has top heavy management then you will probably need to hit the numbers to make your bonus or even stay employed. As I said before, ANY numbers program can be manipulated in the field to give whatever result the company is looking for.HOWEVER, at the end of the day all you REALLY have to do is just do good work and fix boxes. If you have a manager worth a crap you won't have to worry about the numbers. That's what a field manager is supposed to do: Protect his or her techs and be a buffer between upper management and the field. In short, don't stress on the numbers. Concentrate on doing good work and the rest will take care of itself.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I'm terrible at manipulating numbers. I know it can always be done, but I just can't seem to pull it off--so I just ignored them. It used to make me angry because I've seen some of the worst techs in the world have perfect numbers.