Ethical Question

We all know about modifying the black drums on the Ricohs to run in the color positions so let me ask you, If the customer is chargeable do you charge them the price of the color drum or the black? I only charge the black drum price but a few dealers in the area have told me that I am cheating myself. I believe this is unethical practice. How do you feel about it?

Re: Ethical Question

If this was an ethical industry I would say charge the going rate for a black drum. But, as we all know, there are many ethically challenged people managing this business and so the answer is charge whatever the customer will pay.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

You know the saying some have " it's a dog eat dog world ". some live by that principle to get ahead to be profitable. There is also another saying " let your conscious be your guide ". If it bothers you or not, your decision.
    My answer, is honesty is the best policy, then your hands are clean and when you pull the sheets over your head you sleep well.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    My answer, is honesty is the best policy, then your hands are clean and when you pull the sheets over your head you sleep well.

I completely agree with uand am convinced that there is no moral justification for deception
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Trusted Tech
    Ethical Question

Honesty is the best policy in my opinion. I suspect any engineer who would charge the colour price might have an optional career path in sales

Surely the ethical question extends to the manufacturer too?

Tell them what their options are. Good relationships leads to return business.
    Whatever

Technician

Why can't you get the black drums, do the conversion, and charge a little extra for you or your branch for the time invested( for the filing of the adapter plug, the rewiring of the drum), and still save the customer money with your ingenuity? Maybe you can charge a small markup, pass the savings onto the customer, and get paid for working intelligently? That way, you save the customer money, promote yourself as a MacGyver Technician, and have a win, win scenario.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by benalvarez View Post
    Why can't you get the black drums, do the conversion, and charge a little extra for you or your branch for the time invested( for the filing of the adapter plug, the rewiring of the drum), and still save the customer money with your ingenuity? Maybe you can charge a small markup, pass the savings onto the customer, and get paid for working intelligently? That way, you save the customer money, promote yourself as a MacGyver Technician, and have a win, win scenario.
    I have to agree that you should be compensated for the time it takes to modify the drum. Charging the extortion level price for a colour drum is taking it a bit too far though. For my time and materials customers, I use a MOD line item for any parts that I've had to modify or adapt to work with their machine (e.g. part number-MOD). It's not used often, and the difference is a few dollars to maybe as much as 20 percent from the original part, depending on the complexity of the modification. My customers appreciate the savings, and it shows that you're also taking a little extra time to save them what can add up to being considerable amounts of money.

CPI2014

Imagine another tech coming in on the next call and pointing out to the customer that the drum was modified and not the correct item. Odds are this will never happen but what if it did? Respect is hard earned and easily destroyed.