Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Parts Responsibility

I couldn't work for a company like that. I would beat feet outta there in a heartbeat.

Such a policy screams distrust. That makes for a really bad work environment.

Just as most of us have commented, most (if not all) inventory systems are so far off that it's comical.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Parts Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I couldn't work for a company like that. I would beat feet outta there in a heartbeat.

Such a policy screams distrust. That makes for a really bad work environment.

Just as most of us have commented, most (if not all) inventory systems are so far off that it's comical.
    I couldn't agree more. And it gets less comical each day. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Large companys has to control and feedbacks on how they spend and utilize parts, it's just plain management and accountability in a business. A good parts inventory system can do a good job in tracking the use and location and persons with those parts in hand. I think it makes sense too.
    However the human inputs and manipulation are bound to have some measure of errors. A company has to be reasonable also in taking that into account and charging techs for missing carstock would be same as mistrusting that tech and would have a negative effect and it should not be implemented IMO.
    Also, computers just do the math and at the end of the period that reports are run, any significant discrepancy in parts not accounted for has to be questioned. It is just good business for a company to track its expenses.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Oh this is so controversial. I am 100% all for The Tech is responsible for parts. You leave my office with a part it is accounted for until it in on an invoice. If your are too lazy to take the time to write that part number down, and then I have to waste my time to find that $6.00 part yes that is coming down on the tech. I am not saying that a tech will lose his/her job over this but keep doing it and he/she gets no car stock. When it comes to tray, feed rollers, I want you to have an overstock that has already been accounted for. Example I go to a machine and need 1 set of feed rollers, I will order 2 sets, on my work order it shows 2 sets ordered, 2 sets used. One set goes into my stock for future use, until I have 2 to 4 sets in my "personal" stock if we have a few of these machines in the field. Rollers come in handy for many things. Sometimes a call may be only roller issues or looking at another machine while I am there. HP maint kits come with 6 feed roller and customer only needs 2, I am putting those in my inventory. I have to answer to my accountant as to why I am losing money in parts and I dislike having to think about a part from 9 months ago. I am very relaxed on parts but the paper trail must exist or you will spend 10x amount of time trying to find out who, what, when, where and why that part was ordered and other things are uncovered, feelings get hurt. Not fun. If the tech continues to come up with shortages of high ticket items. its time for he/she to hit the road.
    Bottom line is start early with a good system in filling out the work orders COMPLETELY, he/she relies on HR to put in the correct information for them to get paid every 2 weeks. Think about when the checks are late getting in, how pissed everyone is. Treat your work orders the same. Treat the techs correctly (dont assume all they know is how to turn a screwdriver), LISTEN TO THEM, Thank them regularly, if deserved. Take care of the techs and they will take care of you. The On Site Techs are the person your client is going to see more than anyone in your office. Sale Rep will be around when lease is up, Service Manager only if there is an issue or is requested. If the techs are pissed and it shows, then your clients are affected as well.
    If you come down hard on them for thier mistake and they cry, well that sucks, go home put your big boys pants on, take responsibility for your actions. All of who are writing and complaining it is BS to hold tech accountable, let me recommend a few techs to come work for the company YOU OWN. At the end of the year when you are writing off thousands dollars and having to explain to little Johnny why there are no raises this year. Break out that personal check book and write him a check. In 1 year come back here and post on this thread how much you had to claim as a loss for "missing parts"

Hope this helps

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Parts Responsibility

As far as financial responsibility for parts some dealerships have had this policy for 20+ years. As for legality, absolutely legal. But I would wonder about their stock control and service reporting to go to that extreme, they must have had a serious shortage problem across their whole organization. We quarterly inventory car stock and shortages up to a few hundred dollars are just written off as we all forget to write down a feed roller or other part from time to time. When it starts adding up to thousands we take a closer look. A number of years ago we hired a tech and only a couple of months into his tenure, he was on a call that needed a part we did not have in stock. The next day he shows up in the office not only with the part needed, but thousands of dollars of other parts for that model. When we questioned him on where he got all these parts he nonchalantly stated they were from PM's not fully completed or requested parts that he found he did not need and just put them in his garage! Needless to say he did not last long with us and we contacted his former employer and returned the parts to them at our expense. In this case it seems they have used the sledge hammer to swat the fly.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

we recently went though a software upgrade, during which the parts module experienced many technical difficulties. the system was not always writing off parts used on a call or transferred. that was 2 months ago, and the problems are still showing up. my suggestion was to do a no- fault inventory and just get everything straightened out..... that didn't fly.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    As far as financial responsibility for parts some dealerships have had this policy for 20+ years. As for legality, absolutely legal. But I would wonder about their stock control and service reporting to go to that extreme, they must have had a serious shortage problem across their whole organization. We quarterly inventory car stock and shortages up to a few hundred dollars are just written off as we all forget to write down a feed roller or other part from time to time. When it starts adding up to thousands we take a closer look. A number of years ago we hired a tech and only a couple of months into his tenure, he was on a call that needed a part we did not have in stock. The next day he shows up in the office not only with the part needed, but thousands of dollars of other parts for that model. When we questioned him on where he got all these parts he nonchalantly stated they were from PM's not fully completed or requested parts that he found he did not need and just put them in his garage! Needless to say he did not last long with us and we contacted his former employer and returned the parts to them at our expense. In this case it seems they have used the sledge hammer to swat the fly.
    Some states outright forbid this. Others regulate it and some don't give a damn at all. Given the cost of copier parts and the fact that I doubt most of us make a high wage you'd be hard pressed to garnish much without dipping below fed minimum wage which is definitely illegal.

Personally if someone is so dumb they are costing you money then fire them. If you really feel the need to be repaid then take them to court over it. Taking money out of peoples paychecks just because you think you are owed is sleazy.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Inventory is signed out by hand. Each tech has a sign out sheet. The parts person does the signing.

Problem 1...not paying attention and signing out to the wrong person.

Inventory is transfered in the system by ladies who type in data from tickets.

problem 2... human error when typing.

I believe if the techs are to be held accountable, the company must have a flawless system. Also as I stated before, in a system where I am expected to pay for missing parts, I should get money when the company makes a mistake and I find it.

This happened 10 or more years ago.
    Inventory was always bad, really bad. I always had the worst, based on the number of calls I did. I tried real hard to keep up with my stuff so I would have a great inventory. I am standing beside the managers desk when she hands me my list of missing stuff. I just know I have a low number. I look at the first page, then the second then the third. Total missing was a little over $10,000. My mouth dropped open in disbelief. I wadded up the list and dropped it in the trashcan beside her desk while stating , "There is no fucking way I am missing $10,000 worth of shit!", and walked off. Nothing more was said. I was able to get away with it back then. Would get in trouble today.

For those of you who think I should have been fired, let me give an example of what I saw. The first missing item was 10 HP cartridges at a cost of $225 each. They had been special ordered for one of my customers. They were still in company stores. When I pointed this out, I was told that if the list said I was missing 10, then we must have had 20 to start with. "Bullshit, show me the invoice where you bought 20." The issue was dropped, because we only bought 10. This kind of bad bookkeeping is not my problem.

The most recent inventory, I was missing less than $100.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We don't have a large business and we try to estimate what the problem is, get the correct part and fix it.

PERSONALLY, if I take a part out of a stock bin at the office, it gets installed on the machine....if I don't install it, it goes right back into the inventory bin at the office!....simple! If we have to order a part, we put down two on the order list...one for the customer and one for stock. SIMPLE!....the problem is when techs don't write down the shit they use or slip it into their car inventory and not put another one on the order list to have in the shop.

PS--I used to work for Radio Shack!...while I was there (back in my college days) I remember when they transitioned from a list count sheet to a barcode scan method...I'll take the barcode scan method ANY day!!!....and even nowadays, with smartphones barcode scanning capability, there is absolutely no reason not to have software and maintain good inventory control!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I would love to have bar code scanners. I admit to being at fault sometimes. My shop is at fault more than I. When they show you a list of missing that is 2 or 3 thousand dollars, and then the girls go through the books and find half or more of it, there is too much human error. My manager likes to have control. When I get stuff she takes the ticket and writes the number on it. She signs it out in the book, writes it on the ticket and does the transfer in the computer. Still we come up short. It is much better than it used to be. My shop will fly in a woman who used to work for us until her husband got moved to another base. Her sister took her place and we fly Dawn in twice a year rather than hire a temp who knows nothing about it.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking