Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Parts Responsibility

Parts Responsibility

I'm just looking for opinions on this topic:

A copier dealer in our area has initiated a new policy, making their techs financially responsible for any shortfalls of car inventory. The rumor is that it was not well received. I personally have never heard of such a policy before today, and have serious questions about it's legality.

What do you think? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Re: Parts Responsibility

I imagine they had problems with techs stealing parts in the past.
    As far as I understand it would be legal as long as you are not bumped under minimum wage for any period of time.

I'm really glad I don't have to deal with that.

yeah its legal i have a friend that works for a company that holds the techs responsible for the inventory in there car and they have to do daily logs of the inventory luckily the company i work does not do that!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I think that is pretty bogus. We have so much trouble with the computer and inventory system, every tech has issues. That would be a good incentive to either quit or make sure every feed tire is accounted for.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

The vehicle inventory/parts/consumables and the catalogue of that inventory should be the techs responsibility in the end case.
    If Techs are lazy and don't lock the vehicle when on the job, or they are slipping parts under the table to friends machines,ie. theft, then there certainly is a call for accountability.

On the other hand, I've had the odd occasion where I have been allocated parts from inventory only to find the part has been damaged or used previous and placed back into stock.
    Ie. fuser rollers,thermistors, lamps, damage PCB etc. Where does the accountability end when those questionable parts have be genuinely allocated to a Techs vehicle supplies ?

Eg. A Tech arrives on the customers job only to find the parts are pre-used or damaged. Does the boss then make those Techs accountable for the previously used or damaged parts ?

It could certainly lead to a moral balancing act an unnecessary tension in the work place ...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Parts Responsibility

In my company there are too many hands in the pot to hold the tech solely responsible. There are admins and dispatchers who have control over parts transfers, restock, etc.

If that was my company I'd demand they count my car stock every day during work hours or paid overtime.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

How does one determine where the error is exactly? I've seen so many errors made on the system before the tech ever received the part in my experience. Short sighted managers, while trying to solve one problem with a torch, they cause more problems and inefficiency, having your employees working under such conditions surely effects motivation, see it often. Sounds like a lazy approach to a complex problem, typical management in this industry. How about making managers pay for cheap and poor decisions that cost accounts?

Our "new" manager here must be getting a parts budget bonus. No real service background, but he's constantly second guessing about part orders and cost. We'll only replace what needs to be replaced, never mind the return trips back to the same customer for another drum for example a week later, mileage and parking included, not too mention leanly stocked shelves in the shop, all of this affects the customer, they tend to notice as well. I bet any worth while tech will be looking to move elsewhere, something else many of these managers don't appreciate.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

How many of you have a smart inventory system?

Here we order what we need and don't keep track of things as well as we should. Stuff accumulates and the shelf's in the back are packed with old parts we will never use at this point. If there was a part back there I could use, I don't even bother to look because it's a waste of time.

If we had a smart inventory that wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking like a scan in inventory type solution that is searchable. Anyone here do it that way, or are you more like us?

I think with a good inventory system it would be easy to keep track of parts and the people responsible for them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Parts Responsibility

All of us where I work also keep stock in our cars. Each of us are responsible for keeping track, restocking, etc. of parts. We are not, however, responsible if something is missing. We do use inFlow as our parts inventory management solution. Problem there is, too many hands in the pot. Tech's not careful in what they're doing. Not following procedures when orders are placed. I'm the senior tech at our company and as such, end up being responsible for making sure the inventory is put in correctly. I also perform bi-yearly inventory counting of parts at the shop. We each count our own car inventory. I get the counts and correct inFlow as needed.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

That wouldn't work for me. Inventory has been such a mess at my company over the years, I refuse to cary truck stock. Everything in my truck is mine or used parts. Since my management won't change, I will waste the time to drive back for parts. Mind you, I will take what I think I need, but turn in what I don't use. Stuff shows up signed out to the wrong techs.

As big a nightmare as inventory is, they should give a bonus when you zero out.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking