Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Re: Is this industry contributing to the new here ?

As a assembly line welder in the past, toner is a joy to work with. Wearing gloves while handling and a mask when it's air born will keep you safe.

About throwing toner away; Is it the plastic case that is the worst problem, or the toner itself? Toner has a relatively inert composition, so what exactly is the environmental damage caused by it?

Obviously the less we throw away the better, but I have had a hard time finding answers to these simple questions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwisSeV View Post
    As a assembly line welder in the past, toner is a joy to work with. Wearing gloves while handling and a mask when it's air born will keep you safe.

About throwing toner away; Is it the plastic case that is the worst problem, or the toner itself? Toner has a relatively inert composition, so what exactly is the environmental damage caused by it?

Obviously the less we throw away the better, but I have had a hard time finding answers to these simple questions.

The Tobacco industry took a long time before it came to terms with the destructive power it wielded. In those years, there were experts saying that the cigs were not harmfull. True all the data sheets and analysis shows that toner is relative harmless, but not all agree. I can point to some studies that show differently, but would leave this here.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

I was asking about disposal. You are talking about health effects. Two very different issues.

For example, particulate dust is toxic to our lungs, but perfectly safe to dispose of.

Is there something in modern toner that makes it more damaging if put into a landfill? To me the lead, mercury, arsenic and other toxic materials from electronics seem like a much bigger problem. IMO recycling programs are inadequate. Maybe i'm wrong, it's so hard to find real info about this stuff.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Another good one. There have been many controversies over the toner and how to dispose of them. Some in the previous posts mentioned about tobacco and the harmful effects found in cigarettes. It is not the Tobacco to blame but the chemicals put into them that are harmful. As with toner you have to break down the chemical compound of the ingredients. Now if you use generic thats a little different as you have no idea what is actually in there but it works. Of course anything airborne can cause long term effects in mass quantities or exposure, but the occasional deep breath wont hurt you, just black snot for a few hours. Now to the tree huggers out there. That company that you are paying a crap load of money to recycle your electronics to include electronic waste, news flash that big dumpster in the back is where all of your local toner goes.
    All in all if you are curious of what the ingredients are and the environmental effects, grab a box of toner and find out the chemicals in it. Look for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) and it will break down the chemical composition of the ingredients and how much. If you are in the US, your company must have these on hand at all times in hard copy (If not you will find out how much it costs to have them on hand when someone has a reaction and the Fire Department asks for MSDS on that chemical). Big time fine if you dont. You can easily download them from the manufacturers website and a few minutes on the Information Super Highway and you will find out how good/bad those chemicals are for you/environment.

Hope that helps

"It is not the Tobacco to blame but the chemicals put into them that are harmful."
    Neither here nor there, but the worst chemicals in cigarettes are naturally occurring in the plant.

Thanks for the info. From what I can tell toner is really a secondary issue. The main problem is electronic "recycling".
    Last edited by SwisSeV; 07-06-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

I was reading the headlines on CNN that morning i posted this post and saw the article on the plastic dumping on the ocean and writer put on some stats that looked overwhelming. I was trying to see where raw toner fits in the picture there and since i am no expert, just wanted to see other opinions. from the replies it seems like toner is not an issue for landfills ect. so that settles it then. thanks for the replies.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

If this stuff were harmful to dump, would not the manufacturers provide the return shipping labels like they do when they want the drums back?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I think there is a lot of unnecessary drama attached to stuff like this. Like toner for example, it is mostly made of stryene or polyester, and while it probably wouldn't be a good idea to snort toner through a straw or eat it with a spoon, after thirty two years of working around the stuff I've found it is pretty inert otherwise. (Alright, I'll admit, others have had more experience igniting it than I do, but that's it.)
    Also, if you've ever actually worked with or around nature, you'd know it was far more robust than what you've seen on the news. When I lived in central Illinois, I got to see several very large strip mines being returned to nature, a process that happened faster that you could possibly imagine. If you are ever around here and you don't mind a road trip, I'll show them to you.
    Then again, drama sells for big green as well as anything else, so what do I know.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Everything created by man eventually ends up in the food chain, every toxin an artificial chemical ever made, no if's not but's.
    The concentrations of those earth/river bound chemicals will become a major issue for new generations of children.When will the toxins reach critical mass an the reaction becomes permanent ?

The plant an animals of earth are becoming extinct through no fault of their own.

It's the classic case of what we sow, we shall reap.

Yum... I thought my noodles taste a bit like plastic....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Is this industry contributing to the new here ? :: PLASTIC RICE ?!?!?!.....yeah.

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html