Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Indie techs and growing in a shrinking industry

Re: Indie techs and growing in a shrinking industry

I've always wondered how long office equipment dealers could justify sending techs 75 miles between calls. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

I like the idea of moving into 3D printers. They have a bright future and are going gangbusters now. I'm going to look into 3D modeling and CNC classes at my local College

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've always wondered how long office equipment dealers could justify sending techs 75 miles between calls. =^..^=
    Because turning down a sale is an unreasonably high threshold.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

My old service area covered a regular two week interval at a distance of 300km out and then 300km return.
    6 hours drive for the two days we covered the outer service area. The Techs all took turns at doing the western service run. For me personally that meant servicing the west area every 6-8 weeks.

It would make for interesting comment when ever you spoke to other Technicians. They never believed we would travel 300km(3hrs) and then start our days work. If you where lucky you sometimes made it home by 8pm on the last night.

I have travelled(one off) Westward for up to 8hrs one way; to service one only machine.

The above is true ,I b/s you not.....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Back when I worked in a 5 man office we would schedule visits to that 75mile outer limit one day a week. Monday or Tuesday was the day, depending on of there was enough work to justify a trip. Otherwise there was a $100 trip charge on top of the regular labor. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Well, I haven't seen it in any of my clients, yet. I actually just leased out 5 Canon DR-G1100 scanners to a busy law firm because of all of the scanning they do. I understand there is less paper, today, but there is more opportunity to provide solutions for those needs such as scanners. It also seems to me that most of the new stuff is air print enabled and I have more clients printing from tablets than ever before. For example, walk into a busy car dealership on any given day, I guarantee you they are printing all kinds of stuff like there is no tomorrow. Another, is the mortgage industry, since all the new laws, the printing has increased, at least with my clients. On a lighter note, I was servicing a copier in a lawyers office an an elderly- lady walked by, paused, looked at the copier, than looked at me and said " I thought these things were obsolete," talk about a awkward moment.... I thought to myself and wondered if she was sent back from the future or has she been living in her closet too long. At some point will the copier industry be obsolete, I'm sure, but not in my working lifetime.
    Last edited by copiertec; 09-15-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Back when I worked in a 5 man office we would schedule visits to that 75mile outer limit one day a week. Monday or Tuesday was the day, depending on of there was enough work to justify a trip. Otherwise there was a $100 trip charge on top of the regular labor. =^..^=
    The last boss would place a $400 round trip charge on top of the cost of repairs. The distance was 4hrs round trip.

Previous bosses would put us up in a Motel for the night, sometimes two nights, so we could finish the service area properly. I have on one odd occasion run out of clean cloths on an extended trip. I walked into the Motel shower late at night with my work suite on and washed my cloths with soap and water while I stood in the shower totally clothed. A quick rinse an then on to the cloths line to dry.

Back in the day the missus would always say how lucky I was to stay in nice motels, eat at the resturant, blah,blah. She could never understand how totally droll and mundane it was to live out of a suite case every few weeks.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Well, I haven't seen it in any of my clients, yet. I actually just leased out 5 Canon DR-G1100 scanners to a busy law firm because of all of the scanning they do. I understand there is less paper, today, but there is more opportunity to provide solutions for those needs such as scanners. It also seems to me that most of the new stuff is air print enabled and I have more clients printing from tablets than ever before. For example, walk into a busy car dealership on any given day, I guarantee you they are printing all kinds of stuff like there is no tomorrow. Another, is the mortgage industry, since all the new laws, the printing has increased, at least with my clients. On a lighter note, I was servicing a copier in a lawyers office an an elderly- lady walked by, paused, looked at the copier, than looked at me and said " I thought these things were obsolete," talk about a awkward moment.... I thought to myself and wondered if she was sent back from the future or has she been living in her closet too long. At some point will the copier industry be obsolete, I'm sure, but not in my working lifetime.
    I recently walked into the nearest Barclay's bank to pay my daughter's university tuition. I had already filled in the payment details in the deposit bankslips given to us by the university, when I handed over both items to the bank teller for payment, she smiled at me and said, S
    ir, we no longer accept bank slips here, just read for me the student's registration detail and hand over the cash to me. Which I did. I thought the transaction would end "paperless", But I was surprised when she printed,on paper, an acknowledgement receipt!!!

In our capital city here, two major streets...Nkrumah road and Nasser road are very famously known as the " the home of stationery and office equipment,including all printery and print works "in the country and beyond. Every time I visit those streets, and I do it regularly, I see more and more of the following: Trucks or trailers off loading more and more office equipment and stationery into the stores...outlets; more and more storied buildings being erected and those completed being stocked with office merchandise; more and more of wide format color printers for banners etc. So I really wonder if the print and copy industry is really going any where at all.

My view is that both paper and paperless office are here to stay.

If you visit the 'Dupilcator' sub forum of this forum, you will notice there are
    still very many posts on the Risgraph GR , FR, CR, RA series. These are supposedly obsolete machines, but we still find them in active service all over the world....including the first world countries. Paper work is here to stay.

I still have a hard time with the fact those duplicators are still around, too. Its always been a battle in this industry, for instance, there has always been- the other copier companies account representatives waiting for that moment to try to get their equipment in your clients office. I also have run into potential clients who had bad experiences with their last copier company and decided to buy from the 'Office Super stores" instead of dealing with another copier company because they felt "ripped off" in the end. Next, your always battling the "Office Super Stores," the customer sees initial price and buys that $99 printer compared to your $200 printer because again- they look at initial price and not the overall cost involved in using "cheap" printer. I understand that is where a good account representative can educate the customer and show them overall expense to operate, but, sometimes in spite of all your efforts, they still buy the cheap printer. Next, there is the internet buyers, they buy everything from toners to machines, instead of calling you, the local independent store.
    I even remember when the whole "paperless office" idea was invented back in the mid-to late nineties. I remember customer telling me "they were going to be paperless by 2000.....NOT. They are still making copies over 16years later. In this industry we have always had to adapt. I never thought I would be connecting copiers, printers and scanners to the networks, setting up folders and email accounts, but I am because I have to adapt as well as generate income for myself, as the situation changes I do and am always ready for the next change. Our industry has been doomed since its inception but will provide you with plenty of opportunity along the way. Enjoy the ride and in the words of Blue Oyster Cult- "Don't Fear the Reaper". Through death comes life has always been my mantra.
    Last edited by copiertec; 09-19-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

After being in this business for over 31+ years, have been hearing the sky is falling, the sky is falling, in the last 10-15 years, but, yeah as output numbers have dropped considerably, there is still a lot of work out there, you just have to adjust and become diversive in the products and offering's your business offers, diversafication, diversafication and more diversafication. Like it was said before also, service the older stuff the big guys dont and guess what, you will get the upgrade when they are ready to upgrade. Have done that many, many times. It's always making adjustments and watching the bottom line for the lean times, because they do come here and there. Good luck to all the indies and always keep your head up and be positive, always treat your customer like you would like to be treated and you wont go wrong. God Bless America.