Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Wi Fi and health issues

Have read about Wi fi and radiation from the microwave towers. Anyone has some input to this and is it a concern. Till now I have refused to install wi fi in my home, but now everything seems to be going that way. I can make free calls with wi fi, but has to install a wi fi router. Any thoughts.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Wi Fi and health issues

Re: Wi Fi and health issues

Wifi is a radio signal at very low power.
    You may be confusing it with cell phones when you hold it up to your ear.
    Simple solution for that is to buy a blue tooth ear piece so you don't have to worry about microwaves. Blue tooth is also a radio signal even lower power than Wifi.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Wifi is a radio signal at very low power.
    You may be confusing it with cell phones when you hold it up to your ear.
    Simple solution for that is to buy a blue tooth ear piece so you don't have to worry about microwaves. Blue tooth is also a radio signal even lower power than Wifi.
    Well this lady is a toxicologist researcher and hear what she has to say. A bit confusing to me.

Last edited by subaro; 09-28-2016 at 06:06 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Wifi has been getting attention here in Canada. Some school boards are trying to ban it in their jurisdiction, but it's all over the place now. Not just wifi routers, everything has radio signals of some kind, not to mention a crowded work environment where there must be 10 different networks within range. If it does pose a long term problem I don't see how to avoid exposure at this time, for most of us in a urban environment the exposure is pretty constant. Who knows about the future, at one time people were told that you could eat asbestos, posed no health risk.

I thought cell phones were less risky now due to phasing out of analog models.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Wi Fi and health issues

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Have read about Wi fi and radiation from the microwave towers. Anyone has some input to this and is it a concern. Till now I have refused to install wi fi in my home, but now everything seems to be going that way. I can make free calls with wi fi, but has to install a wi fi router. Any thoughts.
    My unverified data says:

Chance of getting cancer, crabs or the runs from WiFi = Less than 0.1%
    Chance of getting a phone bill for calls & data usage = At least 100%

Go with the WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-Alt-Del View Post
    My unverified data says:

Chance of getting cancer, crabs or the runs from WiFi = Less than 0.1%
    Chance of getting a phone bill for calls & data usage = At least 100%

Go with the WiFi

Ok, i got that bill and i could have bought a router with it. That's under the bridge now. So i bought the router yesterday, a dual band type 2.5 - 5 mhz. My question, is i have dsl internet, so i will hook up the router as the wireless medium .Can i turn the wifi off and use just the dsl modem as usuall and turn on the wifi when i want to use wifi only. i am just using the wifi for phone calls and a chat here and there. I don't want to have that antenna on all the time.
    I have not read the manuals as yet, will do so later on.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Wi Fi and health issues

I do think you have it confused. The cell phone towers use microwave technology. And yes it can be harmful if living close enough. Same with high voltage electrical wires near your house. Think we are getting more poisoned from microwave ovens. Anything that can cook food that fast can't be good for you

WiFi should be near bottom of list of things that will kill you. I can think of several things right off the top of my head that are more concerning:

water, air, ozone, plastics, artificial flavorings, preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup (probably kills more people than cancer in the long run), etc, etc

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I do think you have it confused. The cell phone towers use microwave technology. And yes it can be harmful if living close enough. Same with high voltage electrical wires near your house. Think we are getting more poisoned from microwave ovens. Anything that can cook food that fast can't be good for you

WiFi should be near bottom of list of things that will kill you. I can think of several things right off the top of my head that are more concerning:

water, air, ozone, plastics, artificial flavorings, preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup (probably kills more people than cancer in the long run), etc, etc

This is how the guy explain that the router in a room and what is can do. I am just in the path of caution right now and not jumping into things so readily. take a look.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

I'm not worried about wi-fi. Even if it might increase the chance of cancer by a little bit. You can make up the difference by being smart in the sun. Little radiation here, take out radiation there, no big deal. Plus, wi-fi is great and I want more of it

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I don't think you need to worry about that. At least not a lot anyway. If you do the math you probably get a similar amount of em radiation from nearby power lines and the wiring in your house. So if that was going to harm you, you'd already be harmed.
    Well, as long as you don't stay in in a Faraday cage all the time anyway. That changes everything.