Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d printing

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

3d printing

Is anyone working on 3d printers? I'm looking into getting into the field, but I'm not real sure where to start... or if it's worth starting at all.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: 3d printing

Unless there's a big uptake in personal 3D printers, and I do mean huge, there's not really much point. Some companies who sell the huge industrial things are making a killing but it's a very niche market for something that big. When Ikea can sell you the design for a spatula you can print off at home, then maybe things will move.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Is anyone working on 3d printers? I'm looking into getting into the field, but I'm not real sure where to start... or if it's worth starting at all.
    You and me both. I know the new consumer 3D printers are much improved. New consumer 3D printer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Get Your Feet Wet!....Go Cheap!:

EWaste 60$ 3DPrinter

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I'm interested in 3D technology. It is the future whether we believe it or not. Our schools here in Oz teach 3D printers and mini robot technology. I've been interested in CNC routers for years. I have the plans and the circuit boards ready to assemble a CNC table top router, but I can't find the motivation to keep going with it. I have the PC interface board finished I just have to get the motor driver boards assembled and then start work on the mechanical frame side of it. I have a way to go an I can't see the finish line so I procrastinate.

I'll do it tomorrow.....

I wish the doctor could prescribe a motivation pill. I'd order them by the box full.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

3d printing

My company tried for 2-3 years selling 3D Systems machines. They're based out of Boston. Sent two guys out there to train. But, obviously, it's nothing like copiers. You'll need a very smart, science and computer minded technician for starters.

We weren't selling enough and couldn't handle some repairs. 3D Sytems did not have the support we needed. It would generally take a couple days just to get the first response.

3d printing

3D Sytems did not have the support we needed. It would generally take a couple days just to get the first response.

That's the issue I brought up when I was asked about getting into 3D printer repair. 3D printing is still very new and most manufacturers tend to keep IP, support, repair, etc. very close to the breast.

The conversation didn't get any further than that........

We have an account that has 2 or more 3D printers at a Vo-Tech. Two of them are pretty tall/big machines. The other is a makerbot type form factor. This is what prompted the above conversation.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I know a guy who's working with a couple of engineers to develop their own. I'm thinking of trying to hook up with them.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    3d printing

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post

I wish the doctor could prescribe a motivation pill. I'd order them by the box full.
    I got a prescription for these, but I haven't picked them up yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Re: 3d printing - Gantry Design!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I'm interested in 3D technology. It is the future whether we believe it or not. Our schools here in Oz teach 3D printers and mini robot technology. I've been interested in CNC routers for years. I have the plans and the circuit boards ready to assemble a CNC table top router, but I can't find the motivation to keep going with it. I have the PC interface board finished I just have to get the motor driver boards assembled and then start work on the mechanical frame side of it. I have a way to go an I can't see the finish line so I procrastinate.

I'll do it tomorrow.....

Check out this page!:

Double Jump Electric

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html