Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 3d printing

  1. #1
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    31

    3d printing

    Is anyone working on 3d printers? I'm looking into getting into the field, but I'm not real sure where to start... or if it's worth starting at all.


  2. #2
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,189
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: 3d printing

    Unless there's a big uptake in personal 3D printers, and I do mean huge, there's not really much point. Some companies who sell the huge industrial things are making a killing but it's a very niche market for something that big. When Ikea can sell you the design for a spatula you can print off at home, then maybe things will move.

    Computers are serious tools, Michael!

  3. #3
    Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: 3d printing

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Is anyone working on 3d printers? I'm looking into getting into the field, but I'm not real sure where to start... or if it's worth starting at all.
    You and me both. I know the new consumer 3D printers are much improved. New consumer 3D printer.


  4. #4
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Posts
    586
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: 3d printing

    Get Your Feet Wet!....Go Cheap!:

    EWaste 60$ 3DPrinter




    Kyo = Cut, Cera = Ceramic
    Kyocera = Ceramic Knife
    Ricoh = Lemon
    CUT THE LEMON WITH A KNIFE!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State QLD.
    Posts
    2,520
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: 3d printing

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Is anyone working on 3d printers? I'm looking into getting into the field, but I'm not real sure where to start... or if it's worth starting at all.
    I'm interested in 3D technology. It is the future whether we believe it or not. Our schools here in Oz teach 3D printers and mini robot technology. I've been interested in CNC routers for years. I have the plans and the circuit boards ready to assemble a CNC table top router, but I can't find the motivation to keep going with it. I have the PC interface board finished I just have to get the motor driver boards assembled and then start work on the mechanical frame side of it. I have a way to go an I can't see the finish line so I procrastinate.

    I'll do it tomorrow.....


    I wish the doctor could prescribe a motivation pill. I'd order them by the box full.

    What if we could count the stars... , what number would you stop at...?"
    [Exchange manual acquisitions, PM's CTN members only. ]
    [] |N | | o | M | Δ | t | π | | x | []

  6. #6
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3d printing


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,067
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: 3d printing

    My company tried for 2-3 years selling 3D Systems machines. They're based out of Boston. Sent two guys out there to train. But, obviously, it's nothing like copiers. You'll need a very smart, science and computer minded technician for starters.

    We weren't selling enough and couldn't handle some repairs. 3D Sytems did not have the support we needed. It would generally take a couple days just to get the first response.


  7. #7
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lutherville, MD
    Posts
    362
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: 3d printing

    3D Sytems did not have the support we needed. It would generally take a couple days just to get the first response.

    That's the issue I brought up when I was asked about getting into 3D printer repair. 3D printing is still very new and most manufacturers tend to keep IP, support, repair, etc. very close to the breast.

    The conversation didn't get any further than that........

    We have an account that has 2 or more 3D printers at a Vo-Tech. Two of them are pretty tall/big machines. The other is a makerbot type form factor. This is what prompted the above conversation.


  8. #8
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: 3d printing

    I know a guy who's working with a couple of engineers to develop their own. I'm thinking of trying to hook up with them.


  9. #9
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    3d printing


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,194
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: 3d printing

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post


    I wish the doctor could prescribe a motivation pill. I'd order them by the box full.
    I got a prescription for these, but I haven't picked them up yet. Maybe tomorrow.


  10. #10
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Posts
    586
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: 3d printing - Gantry Design!

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I'm interested in 3D technology. It is the future whether we believe it or not. Our schools here in Oz teach 3D printers and mini robot technology. I've been interested in CNC routers for years. I have the plans and the circuit boards ready to assemble a CNC table top router, but I can't find the motivation to keep going with it. I have the PC interface board finished I just have to get the motor driver boards assembled and then start work on the mechanical frame side of it. I have a way to go an I can't see the finish line so I procrastinate.

    I'll do it tomorrow.....


    I wish the doctor could prescribe a motivation pill. I'd order them by the box full.
    Check out this page!:

    Double Jump Electric



    Kyo = Cut, Cera = Ceramic
    Kyocera = Ceramic Knife
    Ricoh = Lemon
    CUT THE LEMON WITH A KNIFE!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here