Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

A situation has come up where a printer service tech replaced the user's ISP email address with a gmail address not belonging to the user instead of the user's email service @theirbusinessowndomain which was suggested. They were experiencing delays between the ISP and @theirbusinessowndomain. Using Gmail accomplished the same goal of removing the latent ISP from the loop, but now sent scans are sitting in some gmail Sent folder which the user has no control over.

Asked if it was the user's own gmail address they control, the reply was:
    "No but it is the one that [**Printer Manufacturer**] uses. So there service rep will be able to service the scanner at the same time as the photocopier"

It's quite obvious to anyone that the user's company deals with legal contracts and is in Canada.

I left out names to protect the innocent - surely this can't be standard practice condoned by either manufacturer or the subcontracted printer servicing company?

Last edited by JJS_Ott; 09-15-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

I don't know about an industry standard, but this is what I would do in this instance. Create a new gmail account and turn the credentials over to the client. Now, if it's a conflict of confidentiality and the client's SMTP server must be used, then I would have the clients IT department look at the issue. It shouldn't be a machine issue if another SMTP server works fine.

Re: What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

Quote Originally Posted by seansbar View Post
    Create a new gmail account and turn the credentials over to the client.
    Ah yes, *this* is key, isn't it ... and I would even go one step further and have client type in their own chosen password on the printer config screen and in Gmail.

Yes, it was already determined the scans were staying too long on the ISP's network. the IT of @theirbusinessowndomain has access to their in/out mail server, firewall, etc... logs to help diagnose. It's not like the service rep would have any access at all to gmail's network logs.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

So often the enduser on-site has no inkling about SMTP credentials. When you ask:
    "What email address do you use?"
    "Well, my own, of course!"
    "Yes, but what is it?"
    "My first initial and last name."
    "Great, and what are those?"
    "jsmith."
    "... and what domain?"
    "Domain?"
    "... like @something. And what password?"
    "I don't enter a password."
    "... but there must be a password."

And on and on and on. It's expeditious to walk this enduser through setting up the Gmail account, rather than torturing yourself and the customer wringing each credential out of her, little at a time. Companies that have their own IT either already know what to do, or need only slight prompting, like the admin login to the webpage.

Have you ever gotten a completely filled out network site survey? Me either. =^..^=

If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    So often the enduser on-site has no inkling about SMTP credentials. When you ask:
    "What email address do you use?"
    "Well, my own, of course!"
    "Yes, but what is it?"
    "My first initial and last name."
    "Great, and what are those?"
    "jsmith."
    "... and what domain?"
    "Domain?"
    "... like @something. And what password?"
    "I don't enter a password."
    "... but there must be a password."

And on and on and on. It's expeditious to walk this enduser through setting up the Gmail account, rather than torturing yourself and the customer wringing each credential out of her, little at a time. Companies that have their own IT either already know what to do, or need only slight prompting, like the admin login to the webpage.

Have you ever gotten a completely filled out network site survey? Me either. =^..^=
    The user was given all of the explicit info for the necessary fields the day before to give to the technician and instructions to call in if any questions/ something missing/ didn't work etc Even if not provided, how hard is it to ask - can I try calling your IT ? Even so, sure, I can see you setting up a NEW gmail account with/for them as you imply, but I don't understand a service rep using what I can only assume is his own gmail account - is there a manufacturer out there who provides a gmail account to use on its machines ????

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Use Gmail hand credentials to client whilst atbsetupband explain they have the master key to it. Then just create filter to delete any attachments after sent.
    Nothing stays on Gmail even if they loose the password and can't recover it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

.OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE