Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

A situation has come up where a printer service tech replaced the user's ISP email address with a gmail address not belonging to the user instead of the user's email service @theirbusinessowndomain which was suggested. They were experiencing delays between the ISP and @theirbusinessowndomain. Using Gmail accomplished the same goal of removing the latent ISP from the loop, but now sent scans are sitting in some gmail Sent folder which the user has no control over.

Asked if it was the user's own gmail address they control, the reply was:
    "No but it is the one that [**Printer Manufacturer**] uses. So there service rep will be able to service the scanner at the same time as the photocopier"

It's quite obvious to anyone that the user's company deals with legal contracts and is in Canada.

I left out names to protect the innocent - surely this can't be standard practice condoned by either manufacturer or the subcontracted printer servicing company?
    Last edited by JJS_Ott; 09-15-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

I don't know about an industry standard, but this is what I would do in this instance. Create a new gmail account and turn the credentials over to the client. Now, if it's a conflict of confidentiality and the client's SMTP server must be used, then I would have the clients IT department look at the issue. It shouldn't be a machine issue if another SMTP server works fine.

Re: What is standard industry practice for SMTP configuration (i.e. sending scans)

Quote Originally Posted by seansbar View Post
    Create a new gmail account and turn the credentials over to the client.
    Ah yes, *this* is key, isn't it ... and I would even go one step further and have client type in their own chosen password on the printer config screen and in Gmail.

Yes, it was already determined the scans were staying too long on the ISP's network. the IT of @theirbusinessowndomain has access to their in/out mail server, firewall, etc... logs to help diagnose. It's not like the service rep would have any access at all to gmail's network logs.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

So often the enduser on-site has no inkling about SMTP credentials. When you ask:
    "What email address do you use?"
    "Well, my own, of course!"
    "Yes, but what is it?"
    "My first initial and last name."
    "Great, and what are those?"
    "jsmith."
    "... and what domain?"
    "Domain?"
    "... like @something. And what password?"
    "I don't enter a password."
    "... but there must be a password."

And on and on and on. It's expeditious to walk this enduser through setting up the Gmail account, rather than torturing yourself and the customer wringing each credential out of her, little at a time. Companies that have their own IT either already know what to do, or need only slight prompting, like the admin login to the webpage.

Have you ever gotten a completely filled out network site survey? Me either. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    So often the enduser on-site has no inkling about SMTP credentials. When you ask:
    "What email address do you use?"
    "Well, my own, of course!"
    "Yes, but what is it?"
    "My first initial and last name."
    "Great, and what are those?"
    "jsmith."
    "... and what domain?"
    "Domain?"
    "... like @something. And what password?"
    "I don't enter a password."
    "... but there must be a password."

And on and on and on. It's expeditious to walk this enduser through setting up the Gmail account, rather than torturing yourself and the customer wringing each credential out of her, little at a time. Companies that have their own IT either already know what to do, or need only slight prompting, like the admin login to the webpage.

Have you ever gotten a completely filled out network site survey? Me either. =^..^=
    The user was given all of the explicit info for the necessary fields the day before to give to the technician and instructions to call in if any questions/ something missing/ didn't work etc Even if not provided, how hard is it to ask - can I try calling your IT ? Even so, sure, I can see you setting up a NEW gmail account with/for them as you imply, but I don't understand a service rep using what I can only assume is his own gmail account - is there a manufacturer out there who provides a gmail account to use on its machines ????

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Use Gmail hand credentials to client whilst atbsetupband explain they have the master key to it. Then just create filter to delete any attachments after sent.
    Nothing stays on Gmail even if they loose the password and can't recover it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

For Google I did not know that there was a way to setup an Auto delete after sending. I will check into that. This is what Im not a fan of with Google. It saves all sent emails by default. This will eventually fill the Google box and require deleting.

Two SMTP server I have been using with great success are:
    relay.appriver.com on port 2525. No authentication and free so far. Used primarily as a temporary or testing since there is no authentication or a way to see where they are going.

GMX.com: Free setup, uses port 587 with TLS/SSL. Free. They do have paid service also. Must login to enable the use of third party apps for a copier to work.

When ever we setup Google or GMX we always give the customer the info and show them how to go in and check the "Inbox" to see if anyone is replying to the outgoing admin address.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

A lot of larger size companies with professional IT Depts will not accept incoming emails from Gmail/ Hotmail accounts. The actual user who created the account cannot be authenticated. That is the downside of free email accounts.

Gmail may be convenient but it cannot be considered industry standard.

The reality is, there is no such thing as an industry standard method for setting up scan to email. That is wishful thinking.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    A lot of larger size companies with professional IT Depts will not accept incoming emails from Gmail/ Hotmail accounts. The actual user who created the account cannot be authenticated. That is the downside of free email accounts.

Gmail may be convenient but it cannot be considered industry standard.

The reality is, there is no such thing as an industry standard method for setting up scan to email. That is wishful thinking.
    In which case such companies should "gladly"provide proper SMTP address and credentials with MFPs dedicated email address or domain account, if SMB be in practice as well.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Ever see The Golden Girls. Sophia was the mother and she always started her stories by saying "picture this"....

Picture this...Cleveland Ohio, 2013. It was a cold December morning on the shores of Lake Erie when the phones began to ring. The problem was, they did not STOP ringing. Call after call flooding in to the point of customers complaining of busy signals. Angry customer brandishing torches and pitchforks formed a riotous mob outside the front door all demanding that their scan to email be fixed. 73 calls in the first 2 hours alone spun this dealership into a whirlwind of chaos. Distraught dispatcher posted calls to techs in a flurry of curses and keystrokes. Which, inturm, generating calls from frantic techs wanting to know how to filed 28 emergency calls in 2 hours......

A mile down the road a young, and rather handsome, Service Manager sat in the dark of his office, slowly inhaling a cigarette. Watching the smoke slowly fill the darkened room as call after call appeared on his dispatch screen. Twenty, thirty, forty calls and counting. He grabbed the phone and dialed the soon to be dumbest IT manager in the world.

"Have you seen the calls up this morning?" he asked slowly, trying to control the anger in his voice.
    "Yes" whispered the soon to be dumbest IT manager in the world.
    "Any idea what could be causing this issues?" asked the service manager.

It was in this fraction of a sliver of a split second that the service manager remembered a brief conversation they had once had. I was about using the same gmail address to configure scan to email and the proper procedure for installs. The service manager came back to reality like from a movie flashback.

"...too much time to create new ones, I tried, I am sorry, i am SO sorry!..."
    Thus, the dumbest IT manager in the world.
    What happened next could best be described as four letter frothing at the mouth as the service manger flew into a verbal assault of which some have still not recovered. HR was later flooded with complaints and claims of PTSD were filed. It is said some are still attending therapy sessions to this day.

In all 113 scan to email calls were put up that day with dozens more scattered throughout the coming days and weeks. The moral of the story is be careful where you stick your gmail, Google can blacklist you.
    sophia.jpg
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!