Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Question Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Hello,

Small-scale IT consultant here, making the foray into copier MFPs and managed print for some of my larger clients.

I have an architect/contractor client who wants to duplex print/copy/scan on 11x17, maybe 12x18. 20-40 ppm print/copy. Scanning 50 ipm simplex / 100 ipm duplex, or better. No finishing needed. vFax/I-Fax compatibility and remote VNC would be nice. He only has 2 Win-10 endpoints for now (no server or domain). Low volume (<1,000 p/m) with slow growth; maybe 3,000-5,000 p/month 2 years from now. Also wants service and support covered. He's ready to drop $3-5K on the unit + ppm cost, purchase or lease, whatever nets the best care/service.

I've started the song and dance with the local managed shops, as that's obviously the most important part, but for the techs or more experienced out there, are there any brands/models that for you stand above the rest in the compact A3 color segment? (Been recommended Kyocera, exposed to Toshiba and about to look at Sharp so far; also gathered that Canon, KM and Ricoh are liked best by most techs...?) Or are things so conglomerated/commoditized and his volume is so low that I should forget getting embroiled in brand/model and focus more wholly on nailing down the right service relationship?

Thanks!
    - Trip

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Phil B.'s Avatar

Re: Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Quote Originally Posted by OutcomeTechnology View Post
    Hello,

Small-scale IT consultant here, making the foray into copier MFPs and managed print for some of my larger clients.

I have an architect/contractor client who wants to duplex print/copy/scan on 11x17, maybe 12x18. 20-40 ppm print/copy. Scanning 50 ipm simplex / 100 ipm duplex, or better. No finishing needed. vFax/I-Fax compatibility and remote VNC would be nice. He only has 2 Win-10 endpoints for now (no server or domain). Low volume (<1,000 p/m) with slow growth; maybe 3,000-5,000 p/month 2 years from now. Also wants service and support covered. He's ready to drop $3-5K on the unit + ppm cost, purchase or lease, whatever nets the best care/service.
    - Trip
    Inkbased but does do 13x17" $1550 with the optional 500sht tray Epson Workforce R-8590 would fit the bill... 1 yr mfg warranty w/ option to go 3 yr

Re: Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion

Truth be told, I own a WF-4630, and initially the experience started out much better than other inkjets, but has deteriorated somewhat, mostly due to the non-removable, un-serviceable print heads that are prone to eventual clogging, with no manual recourse possible (pretty well-documented by a fair number of users). Has your experience with the workgroup-class of PrecisionCore WF stuff been any different?

Regardless, thank you for the suggestion; I'll definitely keep it in mind as a lower-price fall-back option.

Last edited by OutcomeTechnology; 10-21-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Clarified my take on the Epsons.