Technician

Question Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Hello,

Small-scale IT consultant here, making the foray into copier MFPs and managed print for some of my larger clients.

I have an architect/contractor client who wants to duplex print/copy/scan on 11x17, maybe 12x18. 20-40 ppm print/copy. Scanning 50 ipm simplex / 100 ipm duplex, or better. No finishing needed. vFax/I-Fax compatibility and remote VNC would be nice. He only has 2 Win-10 endpoints for now (no server or domain). Low volume (<1,000 p/m) with slow growth; maybe 3,000-5,000 p/month 2 years from now. Also wants service and support covered. He's ready to drop $3-5K on the unit + ppm cost, purchase or lease, whatever nets the best care/service.

I've started the song and dance with the local managed shops, as that's obviously the most important part, but for the techs or more experienced out there, are there any brands/models that for you stand above the rest in the compact A3 color segment? (Been recommended Kyocera, exposed to Toshiba and about to look at Sharp so far; also gathered that Canon, KM and Ricoh are liked best by most techs...?) Or are things so conglomerated/commoditized and his volume is so low that I should forget getting embroiled in brand/model and focus more wholly on nailing down the right service relationship?

Thanks!
    - Trip

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Re: Compact A3/SR3 Color MFPs

Quote Originally Posted by OutcomeTechnology View Post
    Hello,

Small-scale IT consultant here, making the foray into copier MFPs and managed print for some of my larger clients.

I have an architect/contractor client who wants to duplex print/copy/scan on 11x17, maybe 12x18. 20-40 ppm print/copy. Scanning 50 ipm simplex / 100 ipm duplex, or better. No finishing needed. vFax/I-Fax compatibility and remote VNC would be nice. He only has 2 Win-10 endpoints for now (no server or domain). Low volume (<1,000 p/m) with slow growth; maybe 3,000-5,000 p/month 2 years from now. Also wants service and support covered. He's ready to drop $3-5K on the unit + ppm cost, purchase or lease, whatever nets the best care/service.
    - Trip
    Inkbased but does do 13x17" $1550 with the optional 500sht tray Epson Workforce R-8590 would fit the bill... 1 yr mfg warranty w/ option to go 3 yr

Technician

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion

Truth be told, I own a WF-4630, and initially the experience started out much better than other inkjets, but has deteriorated somewhat, mostly due to the non-removable, un-serviceable print heads that are prone to eventual clogging, with no manual recourse possible (pretty well-documented by a fair number of users). Has your experience with the workgroup-class of PrecisionCore WF stuff been any different?

Regardless, thank you for the suggestion; I'll definitely keep it in mind as a lower-price fall-back option.
    Last edited by OutcomeTechnology; 10-20-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Clarified my take on the Epsons.

Technician

Just wanted to post a follow up - we did end up going the ink route with an Epson WF-R8590, and my client has been very happy with it over the past few months. (Thanks for the suggestion again, Phil.) A note for others with Epsons - keep them powered as much as possible to allow for cleaning/priming cycles which supposedly keep the lines and head clog-free.

On a side note, seems we were lucky to grab an 8590, as Epson has since replaced it with the C869R -- at roughly 3 times the upfront cost. I question this move, given Epson's intent on segment disruption. I guess they're really banking on savings over time... We shall see.

Technician

I apologize for the 2-year thread bump, but wanted to update on how this played out.

While the WF-R8590 served the client well, it ended up with a partially clogged head (non-replaceable, of course, and 1 month after our extended warranty ended). Despite Epson's initial push-back, our B2B channel rep went to bat for us and got them to replace the unit (plus cover freight). Now we have a new WF-C878R, delivered and awaiting install. The newer A3 RIPS models have field-replaceable heads, so should the issue happen again, we don't have to do a full machine swap (at least I hope not).

TL;DR - It was quite the saga getting the machine replaced, and as frustrated as we were with Epson, I almost feel sorry for them. Perhaps it was COVID that added a bit of extra ineptitude, but after telling our rep multiple times they had no refurb R8590's to send in replacement, not only did one randomly deliver to my client (completely unannounced of course), but then another new one shows up at his old address. Certainly can't complain at receiving two extra printers, but clearly the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. We're tremendously thankful to our rep, though, who pushed the issue all the way up to the president of Epson North America (apparently).

I'm sure stuff like this doesn't surprise you guys in the least, neither the printer failure, nor Epson hickups, but I thought the update might be beneficial for anyone considering ink as an A3 solution. Moral here: make sure you double-check the unit has a field-replaceable print head, get the extended warranty on it if buying, otherwise lease, else: laser.

Anyways, long story short, all is well. And thank you again for the initial guidance.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the info. We just recently became an Epson Platinum dealer mostly for the A4 models, but have been really looking and weighing the options of trying the A3 RIP series. Are there Epson dealers out there that have a lot machines in the field that could share their feedback on Epson in an MPS environment?
    Would love to hear how they are serving you.