Technician

Angry Katun Corp. Problems.

Let me start by stating I am a L-O-N-G Time Katun customer since 1982.

I have been with them through all their legal battles and tribulations (you can do a search of the previous major legal problems on the Internet). Despite the problems I have continued with them as my primary parts vendor. Now, I am through however and let me vent as to why.

As you may be aware Katun is in the process of being purchased/putting themselves up for sale.

Recently I sent some toner cartridges back under warranty. I am a stocking dealer which means I purchase these and hold for when a customer may need them. For customer convenience and to avoid unnecessary delay I DO NOT order as the customer needs them but pull them from my stock. Katun refused warranty on two of the cartridges that were returned as defective under warranty. One cartridge was for an HP LaserJet and one cartridge was for an Dell 5110CN printer. Katun warranty refusal was because they were beyond their one year policy period. When I complained to the salesperson I explained that these were "BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX FAILURES". In the HP cartridge Katun could have quickly identified the installation date by the internal cartridge chip tat showed the print count AND THE DATE OF FIRST INSTALL! In the case of the Dell toner cartridge it too was an out of the box defect and the communication between the printer and the cartridge showed an error on the printer display to "Please insert the cartridge..." when the cartridge was properly installed and this was verified on another identical Dell printer! Both should have been considered out of box defects with no usage at all yet I was denied simply because Katun states I was beyond the warranty period.

I have had other warranty issues with Katun before but never with a 100% brand new unused item. With times being tight as they are it feels like Katun has taken $200 away from my wallet that I could use for my family.

If this is the best they can do for a 36 year long customer I feel the ship is sinking and time to abandon them. Also, something is apparently amiss with the accounting department in that I haven't received a statement in over three months which usually arrives every month. Are internal people bailing as well? Are they simply curtailing expenses? Your thoughts or knowledge please.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Katun Corp. Problems.

Re: Katun Corp. Problems.

I stopped dealing with them several years ago for similar type of treatment. I gave them several chances over the last 30 yrs to earn my business but always had issues, either hassle with returns, sales people, etc. At one time probably in the 80's maybe 90's Katun was a great company for us little guys. At that time not many companies for aftermarket parts. And their products were good, most of the time better then OEM!

Anyway there are too many other alternatives that offer free shipping and easy process, ordering or returning.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Katun Corp. Problems.

We haven't used Katun for some time as well. I worked for a family owned copier company back in the early 90's and they used Katun products and for the most part they were good, however, I do recall and issue of double imaging on the SF-2022- 35 series, that was either toner related or fuser roller related, so we started to use OEM toner and fuser rollers for those boxes. as a matter of fact, our Rep back in the day, would take the company out to dinner and giving out multi tools and Swiss Army Knives... I still have my Katun tool bag and tools that were issued to me back in the 90's. However, recently, I have seen where other techs have complained about them because of bad toner quality control, etc.

Do you know who they are being purchased by SkipL?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Katun Corp. Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    We haven't used Katun for some time as well. I worked for a family owned copier company back in the early 90's and they used Katun products and for the most part they were good, however, I do recall and issue of double imaging on the SF-2022- 35 series, that was either toner related or fuser roller related, so we started to use OEM toner and fuser rollers for those boxes. as a matter of fact, our Rep back in the day, would take the company out to dinner and giving out multi tools and Swiss Army Knives... I still have my Katun tool bag and tools that were issued to me back in the 90's. However, recently, I have seen where other techs have complained about them because of bad toner quality control, etc.

Do you know who they are being purchased by SkipL?

Katun Acquired By… – Industry Analysts, Inc.

General Plastic Industrial

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

I too have been a customer of katun way back 80s..i guess.
    When i did mostly sharp line they were ok.
    I used them on ricoh drum rebuild kits later on and garbage....
    The drums never lasted nor they midrange b/w fuser rollers..
    i wENt back to OEM..

Katun Corp. Problems.

Add me to the list of long time customer that stopped using them several years ago. It was one issue after another and constantly changing sales reps.

I remember back in the day they were one of the only "games in town". Actually one of the first makers of aftermarket parts. When they use to make & test their own products the parts were good. Sometimes better than the OEM.

They are on their way out in USA. Perhaps other countries will put up with their crap!

Katun Corp. Problems.

Same here, customer since the mid 80's. We had quality issues and they where handled very unsatisying too "You Are The 1st Customer Complaining About This and We Are Selling Thousands of This Item Every Day"

We use them once every two years for the occasional purchase of cleaning materials or perhaps their Lexan B&W testpattern which where nice.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "