98 13.21%
  • 20-30 Years

231 31.13%
  • 30 + Years

142 19.14%
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    How Long Servicing Office Equipment

turning that screwdriver 22 years now...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    How Long Servicing Office Equipment

Wow, mladner, I'm also at 20 years & also first trained on the 3m 516. I remember it was the first machine with Sensitron (auto exp.) & it had this funny looking grey developer

This Space For Rent 100+ Posts JimHegs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill T. View Post
    We have all posted what we work on, what we like and dont like to work on lets see numbers of years we have been doing it. Im at 25 years.
    Since 1992

23 years in aug 2010. was told in 1988 to start looking for a new job cause the paperless world was coming soon. still waiting for that to happen

Technician
    I find this poll of great interest for number crunchers. look at the low numbers of newbies
    I rarely come across anyone servicing below 30 y.o. of are anywhere.....most people I know are like the poll shows near retirement in next 5-15 years The part that suck is companies are going to have to pay more for people in this job in the future but We wont see that kind of $$ now. no matter how good they make machines they will always break.
    Billy

Technician

My kids don't want my job

I find this poll of great interest for number crunchers. look at the low numbers of newbies
    I rarely come across anyone servicing below 30 y.o. of are anywhere.....most people I know are like the poll shows near retirement in next 5-15 years The part that suck is companies are going to have to pay more for people in this job in the future but We wont see that kind of $$ now. no matter how good they make machines they will always break.
    Billy

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    ...companies are going to have to pay more for people in this job in the future but We wont see that kind of $$ now.
    Don't count on that-most of the OEMs are gearing up on assembly -replacement parts, customers can do the PMs, if a machine is a problem it will be cycled out of the office, replaced with a comparable model. Just like Television repair, our job of copier repair is quickly becoming a 'replace-instead-of-repair' type of industry....

only 24 years

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Started out in the industry repairing IBM Selectric Typewriters back in the late 80s.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar
    Started late 1975, working on both manual and electric typewriters, adding machines, calculators, duplicators , etc.
    Then into shredders, colators, dot-matrix printers, copiers, computers, electronic calculators, etc.
    Remington, Olympia, IBM, Olivette, Hermes ( found a set of diodes a few years ago and laughed as I threw them away ), Corona, Smith Corona, Gestetner, Standard, Apeco, Toshiba, Copy Stat, Mita, Cannon. Really too many to talk about.
    Now working only on Kyocera's.
    BUT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO RETIRING ONE DAY. If I live long enough that is.

I hope all you tech's have a great day...it doesn't matter how long you have been doing this, it only matters that you care enough to do a good job.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .