• 10-15 Years

108 14.56%
  • 15-20 Years

98 13.21%
  • 20-30 Years

231 31.13%
  • 30 + Years

142 19.14%
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Re: How Long Servicing Office Equipment

18 years in this fantastic industry.

Technician

37 years and counting. Worked on typewriters and calculators. First copier Savin 750. Factory trained on Savin, Saxon, Nashua, Panasonic, Konica, Ricoh, Minolta, Sharp, Okidata, Muratec, Konica Minolta and probably forgot about a couple. I was a tech, then service manager for one dealer for 16 years til it went belly up. Walked in on a monday morning and was told I was out of a job. Walked out and started a dealership. That was 21 short years ago and yes, I still work on copiers.

10 years for me....and still craving for more knowledge

Technician

5 years & still counting...

I started in Sept 2011. Since then I've been sent to training in Sydney 4 times. All my performance reviews have been fantastic according to the big guy upstairs. I'm told I'm progressing rather quickly, and grasping any new knowledge and tech quickly. A couple of small pay rises and all that jazz.

Coming up to 3 years this September. The only thing I don't like is the attitude of some customers. I'm sure we all have that issue though.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    I started in Sept 2011. Since then I've been sent to training in Sydney 4 times. All my performance reviews have been fantastic according to the big guy upstairs. I'm told I'm progressing rather quickly, and grasping any new knowledge and tech quickly. A couple of small pay rises and all that jazz.

Coming up to 3 years this September. The only thing I don't like is the attitude of some customers. I'm sure we all have that issue though.
    Once you bitch slap the main ball buster of a particular office (do this in mid complaint), the rest of the office seems to fall in line. You'll only have to do this at a few customer's offices in order to get a reputation, then it's smooth sailing...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CraiginAK's Avatar

Be 27 years for me in few months. I didn't expect make a career out of it, just sort of happened. Think that probably be said for many of us, woke up from a toner haze and low and behold been 27 years. Yikes ! I started with Minolta 301 that had roll paper, used water on a wick and used only pressure to fuse toner to the page. Looking forward to that mythical retirement someday. I was out once for awhile but they pulled me back in !

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Tonersniffer's Avatar

Cool Re: How Long Servicing Office Equipment

I'm confused. What is this typewriter thing everyone with many years experience are talking about?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Seems a lot of copier dealerships started way back when as typewriter sales and repair businesses.

I remember as a kid I wanted a typewriter really bad so one year my grandparents got me one of those somewhat older manual typewriters in its own case. The ones that weren't electric and had the black and red combined ribbons. I still have it too. I think it still works but the ribbon has long been dried up.

Then years later I got one of those brother electric typewriters with the correction tape. Looking back I can't believe how much of a modern marvel the correction button and tape was. It was nice and fancy but I liked pounding away on the old manual one...something about the click click sound and that awesome "ding" it made when it neared the end margin...then the joy of pulling that metal lever and swinging the carriage back to a new line so I could continue to put my thoughts on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonersniffer View Post
    I'm confused. What is this typewriter thing everyone with many years experience are talking about?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonersniffer View Post
    I know many copier techs here who started working as Typewriter and duplicator techs in their early days of joining the office equipment industry. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s those were the in-thing! As a matter of fact, the personal computer(PCs) as we know them today is an advancement in technology, from the manual typewriters. This was the order of how these technology progressed: Manual typewriter > Electric typewriter > Electronic Typewriter > Personal computers. In the same way the Digital Duplicator (e.g Risographs) 'evolved' from: Manual Duplicator(Gestetner, Duplo,& Rex rotary being the most popular then) > Electric duplicator (or its hybrid) > Electronic or the digital duplicators we know them today.
    These were the basic office equipment back then and they were as 'hot' a deal to that generation of users and techs, as their current counterparts in office use today.
    In the not distant future from now, some future techs will be asking the same question as you did, thus: 'I am confused. What is this 'Photocopier' thing everyone with many years of experience are talking about?