Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Industry standard on callbacks

Is there anywhere I can find out info on callback benchmarks? we service all types of machines and just want to get a fair baseline on acceptable return for service is. Mostly segment 3-4-5 machines.
    Thanks

Re: Industry standard on callbacks

Yes and No
    If you work for a dealer that uses OEM parts and toner your recall rate will be lower. If your dealer lets you replace part before it goes to failure. If you dealer replaces and does PM kits on time Usually any call within 10 days or 10,000 copies is consider a recall.

If you work for a cheapo dealer , 3rd party parts non oem toner no PM kits your calls will likely triple.

Technician

Thanks, we use OEM parts and supplies so no worries there.
    10days 10k seems to be the industry standard I can find, but im getting pushed to increase that by more than double for my team. Some seg 3 up as far as 58 days, just doesn't seem like they are taking into account aging of the machine etc. as most have been out in the field for more than 4 yrs. so not new machines.

Old machines will up your recall rate as well very high volume accounts. If you have good call sop's and try to fix everything before you leave. You will still get the recalls also the program you use can flag calls that are not recalls ie meter reads, new pc , network change, keyop etc....

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Most places that I've worked it's 30 days @ one PM cycle per month. That goes out the window when your enduser exceeds one PM cycle per month or provides their own parts. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts oeshuron's Avatar

We have 30 day recall (if not under contract obviously). OEM toner & most parts.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Not sure if you mean what is average of how many call backs in general or on repairs? This sure does depend on the OEM, models, etc.

Since I have been replacing the BizHub C253 & C220's with the 4 series my service calls, call backs etc have gone way done. Selling good machines can really hit you in the pocket. But the customer is happy and will buy from you again so I guess it all works out in the end.

FYI, I give a 30 day warranty for the "same issue".

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

There is a company that tracks and registers the national average callback rates for all brands of equipment across our industry, and will give you the information for a price.

BEI has been compiling the office equipment data for many years, and had in the past made this date available to the OEMs, who would share it with their dealers. Maybe ten or fifteen years ago, they changed their business model and will now share this info if you sign up for their services. They will provide you with some great information and fantastic statistics. For many of us, I feel that it may not be worth the cost of their services. You may want to contact them and find out if their data can help you.

BEI Services • Business Intelligence and Profit Management | Office Printing Industry

They may give you a free trial, or share free info. Be aware that they will want to sign you up, because their business model is to charge you money in order to collect your callback and response time data for their benefit- the more data, the better for them. They will make you pay them for the honor of allowing them to add your service metrics to their ever increasing database. Still, it's very good data. Many dealers have subscribed, and the information is valuable, especially if you are a service manager. I know some dealers who are very happy with their compensation program, which awards technicians a monthly bonus based upon their numbers. Many other dealers could not get the standard compensation program to work fairly, and had to modify it, or devise their own. The good part is that these dealers can still use the data for their bonus program, with modifications.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds