Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Label Printers

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Question Label Printers

We have been getting more and more calls to work on Label Printers (Zebra,Primera ect..)
    Does anyone out there help support these type of machines with tech support and parts that isnt a dealer?
    Is it profitable do work on these type of printers?

Thanks Hoosierdaddy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Label Printers

Re: Label Printers

For the most part they are easy to work on. I have worked on several different zebra printers and some of the plastic card printers. Usually you just have to clean or replace the print head.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Label Printers

I sell and support Toshiba label printers for more than five years now. There is generally not much break/ fix/ replace parts on label printers as they are very reliable.

Business become heavily reliant on these printers and do not pay much attention to them until they do not work.

The printers easily last ten plus years even in the most demanding environments.

You have to learn and live the operating system inside these printers to handle the typical tech support questions.

If the customer is unwilling to give you a chance to supply the ribbon and label consumables there is not much point in taking them on as a customer especially as each label printer brand is different.

There is definitely a learning curve. You should pick one of two brands and become an expert at supporting them as qualified experienced technicians are far and few between.

If you are not willing to invest in a few demo printers to have in inventory, this is probably not the right business for you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Label Printers

We have literally ONE company that has a handful of Zebra label printers (RZ models and a ZM400). Didn't buy from us, and we're not a dealer, and not sure how long they've owned them, but I was assigned these things when the customer called in and wanted them all "Checked Out" because their main one wasn't printing well. Not much to these things. The ZM model had a broken media hanger and needed a new printhead. All the others just needed "cleaning". That was 2yrs ago, and haven't had a call to come back and "check them out".

We aren't the type to say "No" to fixing something "new/different" where I work. Just a little studying, and poking and prodding to wrap your head around it.
    They were "profitable" for us that day (no contract), but I can't say if they are in the long run. They seem to be bulletproof little workhorse machines though. Minor break downs.