Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    First time copier buyer, need advice.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Kyocera. While it is a brand new machine, the print engine is an updated version of the current one. We normally try not to sell "new" machines until they get all the bugs worked out. All manufacturers have problems when they roll a new line, but I don't expect anything with these.
    I was trained on these a few weeks ago, and they are exceptional machines. Quality of images is excellent. It comes standard with 2gb of ram. We've already sold a 400ci.
    You can add Kyocapture express relatively inexpensively for text searchable PDF's, plus it will create windows folders if none exist, send copies to a windows folder/FTP server at the same time among other things. Add www.SentryFile.com and you have a complete digital document filing & retrieval system.
    You won't be able to print word or excel docs from a jump drive as the application has to be loaded to open them. You could save those files as a PDF to print from USB.
    My final comment would be to get a service contract. At the minimum for parts & labor. Copiers are pretty much all moving parts.
    LMK if you have any questions.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

user245470

have you considered a sharp mx-4501 or mx 3501 same machine just 35 or 45 cpm

this is a sharp coor machine
    this machine does dual scan for both copy and scan, has a usb drive that you can print and scan to. ricoh i know doesnt have this. can scan to a searchable pdf right out of box with sharps ocr program sharpdesk that one license comes with the machine. also allows you to change into work or exel or word perfect programs. can have a fax option added on to machine and work directly from main ops panel. can collate/ sort with plain box and can get an optional internal finisher for not to much more. this allows stapling without taking up any extra space.
    i work on three of the models the ricoh machine works well but the ocr program is not tht easy and doesnt have a usb plug in for scanning or printing
    the kyocera compny makes good printers but their copies have issues
    samsungs are a very small part of the market share so service might be an issue if your dealer closes.
    hp copiers are horrible and service for them are not great and they are ink copiers not toner unless they changed something i dont know of
    canon im not to fimilar with those copiers so i cant give you advice on them
    this sharp copier has been labeled best in class by buyers lab in 2007 and they work beautifully you would not be dissapointed
    also can scan to email and directly to computers along with the sharpdesk feature and scan and print from usb
    youll love this machine
    thanks for reading
    your friendly neighborhood sharp gold master tech

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Talking

I have seen the previous Kyocera color machines give the techs fits.I have worked on Kyocera B&W machines. In a perfect environment they could go 300, 400, 500K, but just nick that drum and you buy a whole unit baby! AND CUSTOMERS SEEM TO KNOW HOW TO MESS UP ANYTHING! I would go with the Ricoh. They are very reliable and have excellent color.

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by copykat427R View Post
    How about the new Samsung C8380ND Color 40 ppm

It was the first machine I looked at, was told it is a "throwaway" machine, cheaply built. something about "A4 class" whatever it means?

obviously, the people telling me this were Canon/Ricoh/Kycera/etc. sales people. but it was "too good to be true" as far as price vs speed, i.e. $3800 for 40ppm whereas the others were $8-10K for 40ppm and $6-8K for 30-35ppm. so I figured that there is some truth to it...

Thanks,

-avi

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by user245470 View Post
    this is a sharp coor machine
    this machine does dual scan for both copy and scan, has a usb drive that you can print and scan to. ricoh i know doesnt have this. can scan to a searchable pdf right out of box with sharps ocr program sharpdesk that one license comes with the machine. also allows you to change into work or exel or word perfect programs. can have a fax option added on to machine and work directly from main ops panel. can collate/ sort with plain box and can get an optional internal finisher for not to much more. this allows stapling without taking up any extra space.
    i work on three of the models the ricoh machine works well but the ocr program is not tht easy and doesnt have a usb plug in for scanning or printing
    the kyocera compny makes good printers but their copies have issues
    samsungs are a very small part of the market share so service might be an issue if your dealer closes.
    hp copiers are horrible and service for them are not great and they are ink copiers not toner unless they changed something i dont know of
    canon im not to fimilar with those copiers so i cant give you advice on them
    this sharp copier has been labeled best in class by buyers lab in 2007 and they work beautifully you would not be dissapointed
    also can scan to email and directly to computers along with the sharpdesk feature and scan and print from usb
    youll love this machine
    thanks for reading
    your friendly neighborhood sharp gold master tech
    Thank you so much,

I did not look at Sharp, probably because none of the local dealers here sell/push it.

will take a look, but time is running out...

-avi

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    My final comment would be to get a service contract. At the minimum for parts & labor. Copiers are pretty much all moving parts.
    LMK if you have any questions.
    Thanks for the info on the Kyocera.

Oh, yet another question...

my boss/owner does not want any maintenance contract with the printer, neither fixed monthly, nor the ones that charge per page (say 1cent b&w and 5cent color).

what do you think? is a maint contract needed with these machines? or are they just like an HP color laserjet, for which you will not even consider a maint contract?

Thanks,

-avi

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by time2fly View Post
    Samsung is another good choice the model mentioned is good we have one in our office scans prints faxes copies the scanning is a little difficult to set up but it's a good MFP. I still think a Canon or a Panasonic is a better choice, be sure to get a service contract on any piece of equipment you decide to get. If price and speed needs to be in a certain range then take a serious look at the Panasonic, the nice feature about these copiers is that the end user can replace all of the consumables, drum units toner cart., and waste toner container. The only thing that I don't think they will do is dual scan. Here's a link to there web site

Learn about Panasonic's C3 Series Multifunctional Products
    Thanks,

my boss still wants me to get the stand alone Fujitsu document scanner, so that scanning into searchable text PDF, dual (i.e. single pass) scanning, is not a top requirement anymore.

he does not want any maint contract, neither fixed price, nor per page.

can't the user replace toner/drum in the other machines (i.e. the Canon/Ricoh/Kyocera)????

Kyocera in their propaganda/PR mentions that they are "ultra reliable" and drum lasts for 300,000 (which for us will probably be the life of the unit, as I do not see us printing/copying 300000 in 5years)

Kyocera has a three year "dealer" warranty.

-avi

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    First time copier buyer, need advice.

We are a Sharp & Kyocera dealer (no longer Toshiba). Both these machines, Sharp MX-4501 & Kyocera 400ci are excellent machines. The only reason I'd give an edge is the Kyocera warranty & life of supplies. Both have all the features you're looking for.
    The Kyocera warranty is for the dealer however not the end user. Without a service contract, They'll bill you for labor & may choose to bill you for parts.
    I've been a tech for 9 years and wouldn't buy a machine without a some type of service contract. Not from any manufacturer. With all moving parts, there is just too much to go wrong.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

gwalters
    No service contract???

ok, I am not a tech, but that is crazy, short sighted and just not smart.

If he really wants that...why?

If he has been burned in the past...how?

The dirty little secret is this, COPIERS ARE ALL THE SAME machine-wise.

Perhaps he should get another big-screen, go to Office Depot, get five Deskjets and a flat-bed scanner...hook em all up through ElectriNet, and you're good to go....

Seriously, when a business owner says "I don't want a service agreement..." red flags start going off all over the place and people start running into the night - but -

if that is a main concern, get an HP - PERIOD.

All you need to do is buy toner and maint kits and you will be fine; at that volume, you won't need a maint kit in a long time and a CPC contract is not required.

When you do start to need service, there will plenty of HP service people around...

Good luck

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalters View Post
    No service contract???

Perhaps he should get another big-screen, go to Office Depot, get five Deskjets and a flat-bed scanner...hook em all up through ElectriNet, and you're good to go....

if that is a main concern, get an HP - PERIOD.

Good luck

changed our mind again... now back to getting just the color laser jet (HP 4005dn, or 4700dn, possibly the 6015?) as we likes HP, giving up on the copier based machine, as it seem too complex, requires service contract, etc...

maybe a mfp based on the HP4700?

will get the Fujitsu document scanner, too.

thanks,

-avi
    Last edited by avicarmi; 12-24-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here