-avi
    Only women can be that indecisive.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    First time copier buyer, need advice.

I like the Kyocera myself. The Sharp is a huge improvement over previous Sharp color, but not over the other manufacturers.

If you've had desktop printers or black & white copiers before, you'll experience more service on any color MFP. There is a common misconception that this is some sort of flaw. That is incorrect.

Color MFPs have (4) times the mechanical parts than a black & white MFP, and statistics dictate that you will see your technician more often. I must repeat what the other techs have said up until now. It's crazy to have a color MFP without a service contract. A billable service call can easily run $1,000 and I have written estimates for preventative maintenance call over $3,000. If you've got a strong stomach, and are willing to pay when the time comes that's great. More often, when a color MFP is ran without a service agreement the customer tries to cheat on parts, then slowly (or quickly) runs the machine into the ground, then bitches that the machine is a piece of crap. The answer to that is "No it's not a piece of crap. When it needs maintenance, it needs maintenance. No shortcuts." Please feel free to quote me on this. If you go without the service agreement you are heading straight down this road.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I like the Kyocera myself. The Sharp is a huge improvement over previous Sharp color, but not over the other manufacturers.

If you've had desktop printers or black & white copiers before, you'll experience more service on any color MFP. There is a common misconception that this is some sort of flaw. That is incorrect.

Color MFPs have (4) times the mechanical parts than a black & white MFP, and statistics dictate that you will see your technician more often. I must repeat what the other techs have said up until now. It's crazy to have a color MFP without a service contract. A billable service call can easily run $1,000 and I have written estimates for preventative maintenance call over $3,000. If you've got a strong stomach, and are willing to pay when the time comes that's great. More often, when a color MFP is ran without a service agreement the customer tries to cheat on parts, then slowly (or quickly) runs the machine into the ground, then bitches that the machine is a piece of crap. The answer to that is "No it's not a piece of crap. When it needs maintenance, it needs maintenance. No shortcuts." Please feel free to quote me on this. If you go without the service agreement you are heading straight down this road.

=^..^=
    which is exactly why we gave up on a color MFP, and are now looking at HP Color LaserJet 31ppm or 40ppm, and the Fujitsu document scanner.

the LaserJet would not need a main contract, will it???

-avi

I can't speak about the HP offering.

Is prntrfxr out there? =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts time2fly's Avatar
    Good luck with your HP like blackcat said you'r crazy not getting a service contract especially for color. Most service contracts include toner and anything else that will go wrong. I installed a brand new Canon irc 3380 when they first came out 3 days after install the building had a power problem that blew the main controller it wasn't a spike but a low power condition, they had a service contract and avoided having to pay close to 2,000.00 for a new board. I would guess that your HP would cost just a little more than that to replace. Most manufactures I'm sure won't cover under there warranty this sort of malfunction.

gwalters
    Yup, HP CM4730, that's the ticket

avicarmi
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Only women can be that indecisive.
    fliped again, for the last time :-)

just placed an order for a Kyocera TASKalfa 400ci (40ppm) with the dual auto doc feeder (single pass duplex)

no service contract.

$6900 (including the feeder, and stand)

-avi

California is far enough away that there's little risk of us having to argue about the prompt replacement of maintenance parts. You can have that argument with someone else. =^..^=

avicarmi
    I highly recommended that we get a maint contract, and if we do not want to, we should just get a plain color printer, but both the owner and the CFO overruled me... They want to "control their costs".

it is their money after all.

-avi

Senior Tech 100+ Posts time2fly's Avatar
    Your bosses don't seem to be very intelligent people if they think that not getting a service contract is controlling there cost because when they least expect it and at the worst possible time something major is going break in that copier and there going to wish they purchased a service contract. Most copier companies will go to a contracted service call before a charge call. I don't know much about that brand of copier but if it's like the couple b&w ones I used to work (km2050 or 2350 something like that) on the drums are an expensive part to replace. If the one unit you are buying is a color I can tell you that replacing a transfer belt is probably more that a b&w drum. ebay would probably be the best place to get to get some parts if you feel good about buy from someone you don't know. NOT A VERY SMART DECISION...Good luck and may GOD be with you.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here