Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

im lookinf the best solution for small digital printing company

Hello,

i have a small ad agency and soon i will launch new internet ordering system for simple poligraphy products such as leaflets - businesscard or broshures.

i need a nice printing and low cost running machine for this project - can you please give any advice in that topic?

it should print A3+ - 300g - with finisher for booklets, for small runs...

thanks in advance for help

regards from frozen (-24C) Poland
    Mizgal

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Our printshop produces mostly books, booklets, manuals etc. Many of our customers want brochures, business cards, posters as well.

We migrated into the low quantity (200-5,000) full color pieces by purchasing a used Konica Minolta 8050. We had a bad experience with a lease and service agreement, so we've purchased our equipment ever since. Our first 8050 paid for itself in about 6 months time.

The Konica can bleed (print to the edge of the paper) an A3. For us that was a real bonus. We print business card stock, glossy stock, brochures and envelopes. We service our own equipment to keep it in top shape. Many of our customers can not tell the difference between the Konica printer and our large offset printing presses.

You will want to find a unit with a Fiery RIP and a finisher (fold, bookletmake, stitch 3-hole punch). The large capacity tray (5,000 sheets) is not totally necessary as there are 3 trays in the unit itself.

Konica's NEW version of the 8050 is the 6500. But from all of the Problems with that machine (see Konica Forum) you should avoid it.

There are also the Konica BizHub 500 and 550. They are great machines too, just not as PRODUCTION oriented.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxta5 View Post
    Konica's NEW version of the 8050 is the 6500. But from all of the Problems with that machine (see Konica Forum) you should avoid it.

There are also the Konica BizHub 500 and 550. They are great machines too, just not as PRODUCTION oriented.

thanks for info ive hear a lot of good things about 6500 - is there any difference beetewen 550 and 6500 in quality?

what do you think about xerox?

kind regards from winter Poland
    Mizgal

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mizgal View Post
    thanks for info ive hear a lot of good things about 6500 - is there any difference beetewen 550 and 6500 in quality?

what do you think about xerox?
    Yes, I was VERY excited to get the new 6500. But, on this website I have read about the problems with the "blade flipping" and drum. So I decided to wait. Perhaps Konica has fixed those problems with the newly manufactured 6500's.

I like the quality and features of Xerox machines, but in the U.S.A. their fees are very high. They have expensive "click" charges, similar to Oce. A click is everytime a small sheet of paper is copied. 1 side = 1 click, 2 sides = 2 clicks, a large A3 printed both sides = 4 clicks.

Xerox is also "high-pressure" sales. We finally said no to Xerox because they wanted to sell us a model that we did not want. The best way to deal with Xerox is to compare their finances directly with another manufacturer.

Is it still cold -20's?

Juxta5,
    Do you mean to say the Konica can print full bleed up to A3 size on 12x18 paper, and then you cut down to A3?

OR, actual edge to edge (full bleed) on A3 (11x17) sheet of paper with no voids or cutting afterward?

The reason I ask is because many brands say they "Can print full bleed up to A3 (11x17) on 12x18 paper" (exact words in the owner's manual). This is not true full bleed as I see it (true full bleed would be edge to edge with no voids, regardless of the size of paper being printed on, including the max size the machine can handle). I have had this difference come back to haunt me. A bit misleading in my opinion. (Not you being misleading. I mean some manufacturers).

I have not seen the Konicas personally, but have see a LOT of machines that can not do true full bleed even though manufacturers word things in such a way as to make people believe they do.

Not trying to dog on a machine by any means. Just pointing at a detail.

Mizgal: I concur with Juxta5 on the Xerox subject at this time.

Regards
    Last edited by Star; 01-21-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxta5 View Post
    I like the quality and features of Xerox machines, but in the U.S.A. their fees are very high. They have expensive "click" charges, similar to Oce. A click is everytime a small sheet of paper is copied. 1 side = 1 click, 2 sides = 2 clicks, a large A3 printed both sides = 4 clicks.

Xerox is also "high-pressure" sales. We finally said no to Xerox because they wanted to sell us a model that we did not want. The best way to deal with Xerox is to compare their finances directly with another manufacturer.

Is it still cold -20's?
    Hi There

its really expensive as you sad...i cant believe it. The guy from Konica promise me that machine will be much chaper in clicks cost that any other manufacturer - xerox for sure.

what about quality? do you see any difference between xerox and konica? i was always affraid that there is no real competition for xerox machines...

ps
    no - the "-20's" was only 2-3 days. we didnt even have a real snow during christmas or new year...global warming?

regards
    Mizgal

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Juxta5,I have not seen the Konicas personally, but have see a LOT of machines that can not do true full bleed even though manufacturers word things in such a way as to make people believe they do.

Mizgal: I concur with Juxta5 on the Xerox subject at this time.

Regards
    Thanks

but what about other manufactuters? what about with panasonic or CANON ?

regards
    Mizgal