Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brown Shoe Sailor 50+ Posts Navy's Avatar

Minimum calls per day?

I interviewed with a dealer recently and everything sounded good to me except they have a minimum calls per day policy for the techs. I thought is was a little strange that the amount of calls was more important then the quality of the call. There is always a pressure to get the most done for the least time but it is still strange that they were so hit-and-run

does anyone else work like this, I never have and it seems really strange.
    NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself

KonicaMinolta Tech. 250+ Posts CMB's Avatar
    what was he asking for min calls? 4 to 6 is what i feel comfrontable in doing and do a good job. now if all you work on is konica c-500, thats a different story. 4 hours to do a pm-right.
    http://christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital
    630-1 Capital Circle N.E. | Tallahassee, FL 32301
    Telephone: 850.222.4418

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Technician
    Working for Toshiba, we are expected to average 4.5 call per day each month. The benchmarks we have do have a weighted value when considered for pay increases, but they are not shoved down our throats. Management is aware of certain machines and situations which skew the numbers, and they take those things into consideration. Like connectivity calls and PM's on color machines; which generally take several hours.

same here. what about response times? we have a 4 hour response time on in town calls. 8 on out of town.
    most are done much quicker than that . most months i'll have a 2 hour average, others i'll have a 5 hour average. it all depends if it is a busy month or not.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

Technician
    We have a 4 hour response time as well on most calls. If it is a PM call the response time is 72 hours and certain other situations will bump up the response time. However, each customer is expected to receive a call ahead within two hours of the tech receiving the call. This has several benefits. Like being able to correct the problem over the phone, scheduling the best time for the customer (which stops the response time), and getting an idea of how long the call will take.

Unfortunately, it has not been easy to hold these response times lately. In my own case I have had about 8 calls left each day after doing 5 or 6. We have 14 techs in this area and we are all swamped. In the last few months we have put out a lot of product, and some of us techs have had to work out of town to work with a couple of new companies we have acquired. Hopefully things will slow down a bit soon in service.

Technician
    Same as Hallmark - field has a benchmark of 4.5 calls per day. Meeting this number plays a small role in annual evaluations. We do have weights and balances in place for small machines vs large machines. The industry standard seems to be 4.5 (CDA, BTA, Johnson model, etc.) and most of our techs get there, even if it involves high segment machines and color PMs. Our numbers are based on monthly statistics.

Project Warder
    I dont have any minimum calls per day. Some days i can get one job done, other days i can knock off 6 or more. Seeing as i'm the only tech with this company in this area and have had minimal training, i do what i can. Sometimes i have another tech in teaching/helping me and we can do up to and over 10 jobs in the day, and we can clear our board of all jobs. This is also a regional area and probably have only a % of the customers you guys have.

Our call times can be immediate (some of our customers bring in enough money for us to prioritise, though the general customer doesnt know this) up to a few weeks. Depending on location and importance. Some of our customers are close on 10 hours away, and it costs us too much to send somebody out there for a single job. Some of the customers are willing/able to wait until we have another job or two out that way, or even fewer are willing to cover the costs of hiring a second vehicle (usually 4WD), accomodation, hourly rate of the trip, etc, etc. Comes to a few thousand for some. We just take each job as it comes and prioritise as needed. Once i get more training i can get more jobs done. Fun fun.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts choicecopyguy's Avatar
    Our avarage is about 5 a day, sometimes more sometimes less, depends on the situation for that day. We are a small company, 4 techs and myself (serv mang), So I know what everyone is doing. We have coustomers up to 3 hrs away, so a tech going there with no other calls in that area may only get the one call done, but may turn around and get 10 done in town the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallmark View Post
    We have a 4 hour response time as well on most calls. If it is a PM call the response time is 72 hours and certain other situations will bump up the response time. However, each customer is expected to receive a call ahead within two hours of the tech receiving the call. This has several benefits. Like being able to correct the problem over the phone, scheduling the best time for the customer (which stops the response time), and getting an idea of how long the call will take.

Unfortunately, it has not been easy to hold these response times lately. In my own case I have had about 8 calls left each day after doing 5 or 6. We have 14 techs in this area and we are all swamped. In the last few months we have put out a lot of product, and some of us techs have had to work out of town to work with a couple of new companies we have acquired. Hopefully things will slow down a bit soon in service.

thats what it sounds like when i used to work for another company. where i'm at now, we don't carry pagers, and the dispatcher is responsible for everything. all we do is call her and get the next call. we don't communicate with our customers too much except when we are at thier office.
    www.lewisdigital.net
    Lewis Digital

Technician
    That is true dont know if all Photocopier company is like that It was my first job after graduating from QBI THE TRAINING INSTITUTE,Study Electronic Office Machine Repair.
    I was not trained on Color copiers but you have to fix them
    they gave one hour at each site. I would like any tech to responed to this how long it should take you to clean a copier.Ricoh 3800c you recieved a error code transport belt.I dont quite remember the number by doing a visual inspection.You realize Cyan had leak all over the copier all the draws.Feed rollers seperation pad every where.