Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts

seeking copier info

how many copiers, does any one know of, that you can remove the fuser, developer unit and drum with only removing one screw? any machines out there that does it any better. just wandering as I would be interested in looking it over. any responce welcomed

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Hmmm, I think that this may be a couple of different issues, as are you looking for simplicity and reliability? Machines that are simple to remove the main components are not always good boxes.

The one I'm thinking of, which I still have a few in the district, are the Sharp Ar-337 to 507 series, as the fuser can be held in with one screw, the drum has one capture screw, and the dv requires only dropping a handle (no screws) to remove it. But, I am not a big fan of their overall reliability.

So, they are easy to disassemble the main components, but I would rather remove a few more screws and have an almost bulletproof machine---just my thoughts.

If you are referring to one complete screw that holds in a plate/retaining device that keeps all three in place, no office/production machine comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there's something out there. In fact, I think that there are some Xerox machines that have customer replaceable units (CRU's) that I believe do not require any screws, but I have no first-hand experience with these models.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    seeking copier info

I, too, am not sure where you are going with this.

Many of the small Ricohs & Canons require few if any screws to disassemble. Even customers can easily change out units.

But why does this matter? Wouldn't you rather have a reliable machine that is difficult to fix (but you never have to), than a very easy machine to fix that you have to fix all the time?

I don't think that you'll wear out your screwdriver tip if you have to take out 9 screws (for a Canon NP-6050 dev unit) or none (for a Sharp AR-M350N dev unit). And I definitely would rather have the NP-6050 for longevity & reliability.

You can just call me 'Confused'. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    reliable machine definely. bring up the sharp 350, I'm very pleased with it. Know nothing about the canon np6050, wasn't that an anologe machine. would like a faster machine than the 350/450 but just as reliable and light weight also. it would need to have been out a few years so as to buy several and some could be junked for parts. I stated one time that we took hard drives and other accessories that the customer did not need and was question for doing so. well, this has saved us dollars as we have had drives and other acc go out and we were able to get customer up with in hours instead of days. selling new machine could be tough if you ran into a bad batch. the kmita sounds good but doesn't recyle toner and something about traning customers to clean coronas. customer training is a tuff thing to do. we're lucky to train one in five to call for toner and do simple little things. anyway just throwing this out here to see what responce I get.
    schooltech, I never serviced any of the earlier sharps as they were frowned on by many. I know the 350/450 has a few issues but with having a few around for parts and this board and people like yourself and blackcat and several others that post here we are doing all right with them. so I guess I'm looking for something along this line. any input appreciated
    jp

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar
    canon irc3200 drums & dev all self contained, fuser only has two screw(or none at all if prev engineers was lazy)
    pickups are only held in place with pressure - joy to work on and reliable

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    canon irc3200 drums & dev all self contained, fuser only has two screw(or none at all if prev engineers was lazy)
    pickups are only held in place with pressure - joy to work on and reliable
    I agree!
    Also the iRC5185.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schooltech View Post
    Hmmm, I think that this may be a couple of different issues, as are you looking for simplicity and reliability? Machines that are simple to remove the main components are not always good boxes.

The one I'm thinking of, which I still have a few in the district, are the Sharp Ar-337 to 507 series, as the fuser can be held in with one screw, the drum has one capture screw, and the dv requires only dropping a handle (no screws) to remove it. But, I am not a big fan of their overall reliability.

So, they are easy to disassemble the main components, but I would rather remove a few more screws and have an almost bulletproof machine---just my thoughts.

If you are referring to one complete screw that holds in a plate/retaining device that keeps all three in place, no office/production machine comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there's something out there. In fact, I think that there are some Xerox machines that have customer replaceable units (CRU's) that I believe do not require any screws, but I have no first-hand experience with these models.

I think the Xerox Igen 4 is like that. I was watching a video on it and most everything is CRU. I think the transfer belts, fusers lift off or out. no screws.

OMD-227
    Easy answer....

Sharp Frontier series. Drums, Devs, Fuser, Belt units all remove with 1/2 turn thumb screws or plastic slider. Dont even need to open the toolkit to replace everything.
    The plastic fantastic... sure it has its issues, but the print quality is amazing.