Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mjarbar
    As everyone has said there are many variables but on the whole each tech does around 4-5 calls a day including RTF's. If there is an install or networking then the other tech picks up any calls.

As for toner neither the tech or the salesman delivers toner, we send these direct from a couriers warehouse, that way we don't have to hold mountains of stock, just a few emergency bits and bobs to cover, and it goes direct into their network ensuring nextday delivery.

One thing that has surprised me in this thread is that companies send out the tech's to pick up payment, I thought it was mostlly direct debt, cheque, or money transfer with only cash calls being done here and there!!! But then I figured that if the bulk of a companies work was non-contract 'walk in' type of business then this makes sense.

At the end of the day it's a combination of teamwork, careful route planning (where would we be without sat nav), and an 8hr response time (although we are usually there within 4).

All the best folks.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    My company says we're supposed to get in 4 to 5 a day, but I have such a spreadout territory, probably about 1000 square miles, and a time zone shift (60% EST, 40% CST) that I usually hit about three a day depending on the model of machines.
    I work on everything from 13 to 135 pages a minute so there's really no telling how long a call can take.

Interesting thread this one.
    My experience of the industry so far mirrors much of what has been written re : how many calls a day bla bla bla. Its a weird industry where customer satisfaction is not something that is promoted. At least not in the two companies I have worked for in the last 7yrs.

I am a fitter and turner by Trade and had it ingrained in me that if you are going to do a job you may as well do a bloody good job. Of course the realities of the copier industry is that time does not allways permit to cross the T's and dot the I's. However I have made my own rules about what is fair and reasonable.

Customer satisfaction is a lot higher on my priorities than the companies that I have worked for.

However once the feedback starts coming in from customers no one bothers me about how many jobs I do or don't do.

Technician
    my manager likes us to spend at least an hour at each call to make sure the machine is clean, and running as smooth as possible. there are times when you get in there and its a 5 min fix though and you cant waste an hour wiping down the machine. but he expects about 5-6 calls a day 2-3 hours of travel time, picking up parts. we dont do toner deliveries. i personally am an onsite technician and some days i wont get any calls and have to just find something that isnt working and other days i get 20 calls. most ive ever finished in a day was 16, i ended up working a bit late that day though.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts time2fly's Avatar
    I say amen to that apache, I personally think that if you want your customers to buy a copier from you when the lease is up then it's important to take good care of that customer and to treat all of your customers the same with a smile and just be polite. Each customer has there own quricks and problems about them but the end result should always be the same, satisfaction. I really can't stand working for assholes that only care about getting as many calls crammed into one day as a tech can manage because we all know the copier is not getting the proper repair done, not enough up time and a unhappy customer. I've tried to look at this from a owner POV and it still makes no sense to do something like that. Customer loalty is very important, word of mouth goes along way. When your customers knows what to expect from your service dept. and that the result is more often than not a good result then when it's time to get that new copier no matter what deal they might get from another competitor, I think most of them will chose ol' realible because they know what kind of service and treatment they are going to get from the service tech's. One more note: I recetly had had an experience with the APPLE Computer and iPOD store in Salt Lake City, I have to say that if any one wants to know what customer service is all about then just spend a day or two at one of these stores there (in my opinion) customer service is second to none!!!!! HAVE A PERFECT DAY I DO...............

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar
    It just depends. Our company isn't enormous, but it isn't small either. We only have two techs in Omaha but we can handle the service call load because we take care of our machines and usually get service calls responded to and taken care of same day with few call-backs. We have a large number of churches in our area so Thursdays and Fridays are normally fairly busy. We also have a large number of schools so the beginning of school is a busy time of the year. There's no telling how many calls we do per day because it all depends on how many calls there are. sometimes once a month or so we may have a day where there are absolutely no service calls. Maybe once a month we also have our days where there are 20 service calls to be split between the two of us. But even if there are 10 service calls to complete in one day, you can't half-ass service calls just to get a certain amount of calls done, that will result in call-backs, and even more service calls. I've never liked the idea of having a set number of calls to get done in a set time, that's ridiculous, and I'm happy my company doesn't do that. As long as I get my work done, and the customer is happy, the boss is happy.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    6-8 calls a day is about right.

Sometimes you get bogged down and other times the calls are quick and simple fixes.
    Our boss cares little for such targets as long as the work is done and customers are paying their bills.

Technician

5 or die...

We try to get everyone to 5 a day. Obviously location, model mix, experience are things that the service manager takes into consideration. Techs will try and BS me about this and that, but I was a tech for 15 years so pretty hard to BS me. Often when I have a tech thats not reaching 5 a day and I think he can, we build a plan of attack. I try to eliminate items that hes being involved with, that he shouldnt be. IE-Techs calling him for help a lot, techs calling to have him look up parts numbers, not having his laptop wiht him when he walks in the account, talk to the customer BEFORE he starts working on the machine so he understands the complaints, well I could go on and on. But many techs that fail to reach a "real" call per day are working HARD but not smart.

Well then theres the lazy ones, that leave real quick when they figure out how much work being a tech is. I had one quit after 6 weeks and he was unemployed for a year! He had potential, but I made him move everyday and I dont think he was up for it.