Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar

How do you handle car stock?

We are a fairly small outfit with 5 tech at our location. With the exception of out-of-town calls, all of our calls are run from the shop with at most 3 stops before coming back to the shop.

We grab a 'service kit' for the model(s) we are going to service. Run the calls. Then when we get back, we restock the kits and put them back on the shelf. Nobody carries any car stock to speak of.

I'm wondering if most of you run your calls in a similar manner or do you have car-stock that will enable you to stay out in the field all day? We will have to change our methods if we ever change over to using the dispatch services of Eautomate. How do you all handle this?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Scott, we are about the same size, we have 7 techs and 3 IT guys. I used to have an outrageous amount of truck inventory. I would accumulate it by checking out things I thought I needed and not turning them back in when I did not use them. It made me more efficient in the field, but since our stock is signed out by hand and transferred in our computer system manually it left a lot of room for error. We would do inventory twice a year and I would come up $6,000 to $10,000 short each time. I could always show lots of mistakes by our admin to account for this, but it still looks bad. The owner never said anything as I told him neither me or my friends have copiers at the house. 90% of my territory is 15 min from shop, so to combat the inventory problem, I emptied my truck and cary only what I know I need for the calls in my hand. If I need something, I drive back and get it or they can wait til next day.
    This inventory thing causes some hard feelings at the shop, like when I yelled "there is no FUCKING way I lost $8000 worth of shit!" at my manager. She got mad and would not even say a word about inventory the next time even though it showed I was missing even more.
    To combat this I emptied my truck except for my stuff, carry bare minimum and every few weeks get a printout of what they say I have so I can get it corrected. Truck stock is a good idea if you keep up with it, but a lot of that depends on how good the office staff is.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Same situation, small company with 5 techs at our main location and 2 at another. The techs at our main location do not carry any parts with them and just grab what they need for the day or group of calls they are going on. The other two techs at the other office carry PM kits with them, that way they don't have to incomplete calls for PM's. That is only because their territory is a lot more rural than ours.

When setting up our new eAutomate system earlier this year, I wanted to set up car stock for each tech. Just create a warehouse for each tech, under their territory warehouse. Then place a predetermined stock in each truck based on the machines they work on. When they wanted to remove a part from the shelf and place it in their truck, all they would have to do is transfer the part from the warehouse to their car through eAutomate. Same goes for restocking, which would of course be their responsibility. Then, when closing calls, have the parts shown as used from the techs warehouse (inventory) and not the territory warehouse. Then, if the part was not used for whatever reason, they could just re-transfer back into the territory warehouse.

Anyway, when I brought this up to the techs all hell broke loose. They got so pissed at me! Telling me I was going to make their job so much harder for nothing. You know, the typical whining crap. So I said to hell with it. The managers are not going to allow car stock unless there is a way to track it. If the techs don't want to do their part, then they wont get car stock. That simple!

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    How do you handle car stock?

I've done it both ways. The service kit limits the amount of stock any tech has at any one time. It also answers the question: "As long as your here and have nothing else to do, can you look at these other 10 machines?" The answer is: "No, I didn't come stocked to do those calls. Please submit a request."

During most of the last 20 years I've carried $5K to $12K of carstock, and stayed in the field for about a week at a time. The difficulty with tracking all this cartsock is not at the technician's end. There are typically too many hands in the system, transferring parts here & there without the tech's knowledge. For it to really work is to get a monthly report of all the transfers and current stock, and to confirm its accuracy item by item. You'll be surprised how many mistakes come up.

As things are now I only have to keep track of the whole service department (that is: myself), so it's pretty easy. There's only one person handling all the parts, and I can kick his ass anytime I need to (again, myself).

For years I've heard threats of making techs financially responsible for their carstock. The only way this can work is to take away all those other hands doing transfers. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Everyone makes great points here. The integrity of the parts 'situation' has a lot of variables to make it work. The last place I was at had their MWA software tied to our crackberries and what not, and it was integrated with OMD and some other software I believe. Anyway, I had three models of one machine, so I used exactly three PM kits in the span of a year. Wouldn't you know it.....the damn inventory CONTINUED to say I had an extra PM kit and, because I could not account for it, it kept coming up short. Time-and-time again I said, "I have three machines and three PM kits were used...that's it."
    So much for a perfect system that was supposed to be flawless; the integrity of the system is only as good as the integrity of the operator(s). The person doing the parts and inventory tallying was way over-his-head with the job.

I would, and still do, keep a minimal amount of things that would be pain-in-the-ass parts to not have on me in an emergency, like thermostats and such. I tried to avoid keeping too much inventory because of the 'integrity' of the back-end control. Some companies feel that if they keep the techs in the field for 27 years that they make more money. Well, it's definitely a balancing act, but I don't think that giving techs 10k in inventory and having 15 people at the shop constantly dicking with the inventory, parts, supplies, etc. works very well.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Sounds like the car stock method isn't really popular, either through tech's personal accountability (have to pay for missing stuff), screwed up inventory controls, or just plain keeping track of everything.

I had a 4 year govt contract with almost a 100 machines in only two families. I carried car stock for those. I loved it as I didn't have to make return trips for 95% of those calls. I don't see how I could make that work for the rest of our territory with the something like 60 different families of machines across the two brands we service.

I've put together service kits for each of the families. It is a bit of work to keep the lists up to date with add requests, parts changes via bulletins or no notice changes, and especially the fiasco with the parts numbering at KonicaMinolta. In the long run, I think we save a lot of time with reduced trips. This is especially true when the customer has an 'oh, by the way.........' that they didn't report during the initial call. The parts list in the kit also mentions the nominal pm cycle of the part. That helps with 'do I replace or just clean' decisions without having to look it up. I have a hard time remembering the pm cycles for all the different models!

We are trying out a new method of assigning calls. Currently we just grab the next call in line no matter what the model is. Exceptions would be to prioritize totally 'down' machines over nuisance or copy quality calls. Anyway, we have started to assign families of machines to each of the techs. If this works out well, it could lead to some limited car stock or at least personalized service kits. It is too early to tell if this is going to work as we've only been at this in a limited way for a month or so. We've mixed up the assignments such that everyone gets low and mid range bw and color. Only the production models are limited to select techs.

Quote Originally Posted by unisys12 View Post
    When setting up our new eAutomate system earlier this year, .....

Anyway, when I brought this up to the techs all hell broke loose. They got so pissed at me! Telling me I was going to make their job so much harder for nothing. You know, the typical whining crap. So I said to hell with it. The managers are not going to allow car stock unless there is a way to track it. If the techs don't want to do their part, then they wont get car stock. That simple!
    Honestly, that does sound like a fair bit of work to transfer that stock back and forth. Sounds like mucho chances for the data entry to charge off the parts to the wrong warehouse. Possibly a lot more chance of techs being in a hurry to make errors doing the transfers. How easy is it to transfer a part to your own warehouse. Can the login rights limit where you can transfer to/from?

We just finished our inventory for the year. We were only off by a few hundred bucks. Don't want to screw that up with lost parts due to data entry errors or parts from the service tickets deducted from the wrong warehouse.

Would a 'fixed' inventory of car stock work? IOW, create a warehouse of the desired car stock for the tech based upon their needs. Then as they are used, simply replenish just that stuff without going through the transfers. The parts as reported on the service tickets are deducted from the main warehouse. The only time a change or transfer is made would be when the tech makes changes to the list of stuff they carry.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Going back to my industry training, a fixed inventory would be perfect. A tech would have a master list that shows what should be in stock, and every friday you get a list of what the system says you have. Anything that shows up that is not on the master list is probably a mistake that did not get transferred, like that $500 power supply that you used 3 days ago. It will only be as hard as management makes it. If you used 3 separators that are in your stock, then you sign 3 more out.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Brave Hart's Avatar
    We run boot stock and find it very help full. Especially in closing calls faster, once a tech comes in for parts he wastes at least 2hours plus. Sorting his parts, chatting to fellow staff or just sit around smoking and drinking coffee.

Each tech has his high mortality parts on him at all times, so he cleans up his calls much quicker. He books out his own stock and controls it by himself, with his PDA he will book out the parts he has used and shoot pass the warehouse and pick up the new parts from his pigeon hole when he gets a free moment.
    He pays for whatever is short on the list at month end count so he makes sure his stock is up to date.
    He is not allowed at the workshop unless there is a technical meeting, so that means, he will sometimes only come in to workshop once a month.

It works for us now, but it took us along time to get it sorted out.
    What? HuH?

The Great Gazoo 250+ Posts kyoceradude's Avatar
    Like most of you guys, we use to have a car stock. Like I said, we use to. We have 12 techs, and in the age of analogs each tech had a car stock for each series of machines. Car stock was replenished, based on what they used, so each tech had the same car stock. Enter the picture "The digital age" and the analogs are going by the way of the dinosaur, so car stocks started to become obsolete for us. After turning in the car stocks and starting to control inventory, we ended up with over $40,000 worth of obsolete inventory that I can't even give away. We are switching to e-automate in November, so last week our techs turned in all of their car stock and will only be assigned some high mortality parts, like feed rollers, coronas and the like. Most of the territories we cover are within 20 min of the office, and if the tech is going out of the way to a call they will bring suspected parts with them. Car stocks are nice, but with 12 techs all crossed train, it gets very expensive to carry parts.
    My mission here on Earth is to help all you Dum-Dums!