Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Hi KIP-Doc, I came across this thread. NOW tell us what has happened since then ! Did you eventually" go out on your own" as you were thinking or you secured a salaried job ?
    I hope you didn't succumb to FEAR, DOUBT, CRITICISM & Negative influences of other people. TOM & kingpid gave you excellent pieces of advise based on their experiences and that of many others, I, included. For a trained tecnician, with an engineering background knoweldge,and an open mind receptive to new ideas, willing to learn always (constant studies), and learning the lessons as quickly as they appear ( plenty of manuals etc), cooperation with other techs, I don't see how the technology can leave you behind !
    Just be determined and confident; have DESIRE & FAITH, as well as PASSION in what you want to do. Be PATIENT & PERSISTENT, MAINTAIN YOUR FOCUS despite the numerous challenges u will be faced with. And if you are a believer in GOD,do not cut the umbilical cord that connects you with him. HE is the supreme intelligent and omnipotent; the source of all power & wealth. Be nearer to this source of wealth by maintaining your GRATITUDE to him. Abide in him,& HE WILL IN TURN ABIDE in you, and you will be successful in all you do. It has happened to me and many others, it can happen to you.

Yeah. It would be interesting to hear what happend.

I've got a friend that started for himself about 3-4 years ago.
    Ha had collected quite a few service manuals, and gets more from friends. If there are other manuals he need, he buys them.
    He has no problem keeping up with the technology. He read a lot of service manuals and also a lot of computer/network stuff.

In the beginning he got a few machines from former customers that wanted to throw them away.
    He fixed them up, and started to print advertising flyers. He delivered (and still does) flyers all the time.
    He also advertised that he fixed other electronic stuff, and household appliances because he needed the money.

Now he is more or less a copier/printer/network guy only.
    He makes about twice of what I do btw. But the first year was hard. He had to get money from the bank at 20% interest.

He still operates out of his garage (that is now rebuild a lot). Where he has a small display of new and used machines. He also have his repair shop and storage there. He is very eager to get used machines, that he later can use for spare parts. He went through containers at night outside his competitors and picked a lot of parts for free.
    In his ads he also says he will collect old machines for free. That way he get machines that can be fixed and sold - and also a spare part supply (for expensive parts like print controllers and stuff like that).

He does still not sell a brand of his own. He sell smaller machines from HP and Lexmark. He does not make any money on the machines - but he sell them with a click price deal. He has no problem getting parts so far.
    He service many copier brands (usually 3 years or older). He has also been contacted by a copier brand that has no tech in the area. He get calls from them, and he fix the machines. So now he get parts and manuals from that brand.
    He plans to start selling a brand next year. He will also hire another tech then.
    Right now, his wife and sometimes his daughter is in the office (garage) and handle paperwork and they sell smaller printers/copiers when customers come.
    He has also made money on small Brother machines that he sells with a click price. He orders toner and drums from China, and gets a higher profit.
    But still.. he works a lot of hours. He loves to be his own boss.
    Another source of income has been networking and IT support. He serve businesses and families.
    He help families to set up a small network at home, add a back up solution and share a printer. Maybe connect it to the TV too. This is done for a cheap price. When they need new computer hardware they call him. It gives him another income, and he is not dependent on the copier business alone.

He made over 110 000 us dollars in 2010. But he have expences too. Electricity and gas. I'm sure he gives some money to his wife and daughter too.
    He also accept service calls at 20:00 hours in the evening. To get an advantage over other techs in the area.
    He has also some models he like better then other - and is now advertising his services to owners of these models. They can save money by letting him fix them. No need to buy a new printer/copier yet.

I've though about doing the same. But it will be hard to get through the first year. And paperwork.. and what do I do if I get ill? Lets say you get swine flu and is in bed for a week. I guess the customers would be pissed if they had to wait for a week to get service. So I would have to have a person that can help me in cases like that.
    But I have no rush.
    Sometimes it is better just to get a paycheck too. But I'll see what happens. The amount on the paycheck is important too.
    I just found out that I get paid about 6800 us dollar less then average for my job/profession. It kind of makes me loose my motivation. Especially since I have a lot of bills to pay . . and it's hard enough to make ends meet.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Going out on your own

Wooo..oow! That is an excellent piece Lotec. I hope that for this guy you describe, the sky is now the limit. That is what determination, confidence, courage & self conviction can do for one if you maintain your focus on the goal despite the initial setbacks and hardships.
    Successful men in all callings never stop learning, especially in the field related to their major purpose, business or profession. Those who are not successful usually make the mistake of believing that knowledge acquiring ends when one finishes school. School merely puts you on the path to acquiring practical and specialized knowledge. Immediately u stop acquiring the knoweldge related to your profession or business you become obsolete.
    Making $110,000 a year (as did that guy), I suppose is a lot more than many techs who are employed earn per year. In an economy like ours, in my country in particular, even after paying all taxes and other business expenses all amounting to about 40% of that income, you would still live much more than a comfortable life. In fact aftersome 5years or so , you would be reinvesting your money into REAL ESTATES & other businesses and possibly '' Retire young and Rich", and in the multi-millionaire's club.
    One thing though, working for someone else will never make you rich, if that is your ambition. Although we all must start from 'somewhere 'in order to gain the much needed experience, ultimately one day, " you will have to mind your own business" and venture on your own. There is real freedom and hapiness there for those searching for it.

my salesman are my loyal customer that i serviced like i'm a part of their company. i mean satisfied customer that stop jumping and hopping from one service company to another because of bad service. WORD OF MOUTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Craigslist is O.K. if you want to sell cheap, but to make a decent profit, I'm afraid you'll just have to get out & knock on doors. As a tech., this was the hardest part of the job to learn, being a salesman, but once you find your groove its not too bad. Great when you get the sale. I get very few call from my yellow page ad, it pays for itself & maybe a little profit, but nothing great. You just have to network & meet people. I get more calls from referals from my existing customer than anything else.

That is a good story Lotec, I appreciated reading it as I am an Indy myself. I started out of my garage and 20 years later I am still working out of my garage, Indy one man show.

Although we are going through the worst recession to date, I am still around, I have watch many BIG companies go down. I am in New York where the recession hit us on the nose.

I can tell you one thing in the Indy business, you need friends, you cant do it by yourself. You need friends with contacts and friends you can discuss everyday troubles with, it helps you get through tough times.

I am not an authorized dealer of any but I sell new Canon/Sharp/Copystar and with my friends in the biz and these forums, I am able to squeeze out a living.

Good luck all!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    start by calling on smaller to mid sized print shops. If you can provide value (price reductions), better service, and a friendly attitude you will get business. Part and ongoing training are critical. No customer wants you to get on the job training at their expense.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Amen brothers

I broke my neck and after no one would hire me finally had to venture out on my own. Well after a few years I am still surviving. I made the mistake of doing alot of subcontracting work for one business and the guy screwed me good but now after a year away from him his customers are starting to call me. I have not solicited them but they have told me that they asked and he bad mouthed me so they looked for my name and found it. Get yourself out on the web. Make yourself visible. Do not extend credit until you can afford to lose the money. I learned that the hard way. Use craigslist and free advertising whenever possible. Network through anyone you can. Always have flyers and cards available. Target specific audiences like all the churches in your area then doctors and lastly finally the scum sucking attorneys. Print shops are good if you can do time and material but contracts with them will kill you. They will nit pick everything and want you to do the job for them. Barter work for services. Find a telemarketer and see if you can work out a deal. Walk door to door. If you get a call in an industrial park after the call drop off a flyer at every business in it. It takes lots of time. Hire your kids to place flyers or hand them out. Take every deduction you can track all your mileage and expenses. Find good online friends like Phil and talk to them. Work on the boards and share info. If you see a customer post in your area contact them.
    And above all remember to laugh and live and enjoy your life and wife and kids cause it really doesn't matter after that.

Keep going

Brian
    www.connecticutcopierrepair.com

Print shops are good if you can do time and material but contracts with them will kill you. They will nit pick everything and want you to do the job for them.
    Bingo!! I stay the hell away from them

i agree with the ups and downs. I am also out on my own and so far so good. I also found a site that is free and i can download and share manuals also. it is at 4shared.com dont want to take away from those that are selling manuals but some cant afford to buy them all. just a thought. i will be sharing sharp, ricoh, canon,toshiba

This is a tip
    Respect