Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Chargable Call Quotes

Chargable Call Quotes

Hi,
    Just wondering how people deal with chargable calls that you have quoted for only to find you need to replace an extra part. Example you quote for 2 hours labour and a part that comes to about $300.Then you do the work and replace the part and find that another part is required to complete the fix. How do you deal with unforeseen costs.We normally charge for the extra part and not the extra labour.Is this standard?Is there a better way that does'nt cause a fallout with the customer who are expecting the machine back working for the original quote.
    Thanks in advance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dickierock View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondering how people deal with chargable calls that you have quoted for only to find you need to replace an extra part. Example you quote for 2 hours labour and a part that comes to about $300.Then you do the work and replace the part and find that another part is required to complete the fix. How do you deal with unforeseen costs.We normally charge for the extra part and not the extra labour.Is this standard?Is there a better way that does'nt cause a fallout with the customer who are expecting the machine back working for the original quote.
    Thanks in advance.
    You should put wording in the quote that the customer signs stating that unforeseen parts/labor will be submitted to the customer at the time it is discovered for customer approval before work is continued. Have the customer initial this part when they sign the estimate approval.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Chargable Call Quotes

That's the key. It's an 'estimate', not a quote. And that estimate covers foreseeable issues. In situations where the machine is inoperable at the time of estimate, I always specify that there may be other problems remaining when the currently identified problem is resolved.

And yes, get that estimate signed at each stage of the way. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    And yes, get that estimate signed at each stage of the way. =^..^=

Absolutely. And if we are working on a Machine WE have never seen. Well ALL PM Items are in the Estimate. Rollers, Pads, Fusers, Drums, DV, Transfer, You name it.

Some people go ouch, but we tell them we can't warranty it unless all replaceable are brought up to state.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Chargable Call Quotes

I also will charge for the extra part but not the labor. I like to keep my customers happy, its part of my job. If I do a thorough estimate, its very rare that I'm going to need something I don't have. I don't feel its right to charge extra time because I missed something on the initial visit, thats my bad. Luckily, I have most parts for the models I work on, so even if something extra needs replacing, I'll probably have it in stock. Remeber, your not the only copier company out there & if the customer feels like their beiing nickel & dimed to death, they will find someone else. I've found that making some money now is better than a little more now & none later because you lost the account.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    What Tom said are my terms also.

Mr Bill