Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tech Training

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Wow, all that training must take the fun out of it. I can not imagine what it would be like to show up at a machine I have never seen before, wonder how it comes apart, all the while looking so confident like you designed it yourself. Hiding the look of surprise as toner pours down your pants from the end of the waste toner bottle that does not have a shuttered cover. Muttering cuss words under your breath about who the crackhead was that designed this piece of shit. Maintaining that look on your face as though you are thinking hard about the solution to their problem, when in reality you are thinking about how to open it up. And not having a mild stroke from holding it all in,when the customer says as you leave, "isn't that funny, the other tech said that would need to be taken care of soon, and he was just here yesterday".
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tech Training

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Wow, all that training must take the fun out of it. I can not imagine what it would be like to show up at a machine I have never seen before, wonder how it comes apart, all the while looking so confident like you designed it yourself. Hiding the look of surprise as toner pours down your pants from the end of the waste toner bottle that does not have a shuttered cover. Muttering cuss words under your breath about who the crackhead was that designed this piece of shit. Maintaining that look on your face as though you are thinking hard about the solution to their problem, when in reality you are thinking about how to open it up. And not having a mild stroke from holding it all in,when the customer says as you leave, "isn't that funny, the other tech said that would need to be taken care of soon, and he was just here yesterday".
    I've spent most of my professional life in that place you just described. I just keep quietly repeating my little mantra "It sure would be nice if I knew what I was doing....". I must say that it keeps it interesting. Sometimes far too interesting. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    guess at heart, all us copier guys are just tinkerers. We see something new, roll up our sleeves, and get cracking. Repitition is the enemy. A new day, a new challenge. Sort of like "the oppisite of good, is not bad. The opposite of good... is perfection."
    Kevin900

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Wow, all that training must take the fun out of it....and he was just here yesterday".
    LOL

When you put it that way, its not a job, its an adventure!

Actually, I really dislike being observed by customers, even when I know what I am doing fluently on some thing or other. The odd time I have a customer hanging over my shoulder watching me work, I always come up with some kind of excuse to leave...like, oh, I need that special tool from the car....sometimes this works quite well, but I have one customer I have this insane urge to squirt in the eye with some methyl alcohol because he JUST DOES NOT GET THE HINT!!!!
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    LOL

When you put it that way, its not a job, its an adventure!

Actually, I really dislike being observed by customers, even when I know what I am doing fluently on some thing or other. The odd time I have a customer hanging over my shoulder watching me work, I always come up with some kind of excuse to leave...like, oh, I need that special tool from the car....sometimes this works quite well, but I have one customer I have this insane urge to squirt in the eye with some methyl alcohol because he JUST DOES NOT GET THE HINT!!!!
    Sometimes I think ripping a good smelly one would give the hint, or fire up the toner vac.
    And depending on where lunch was, beef and broccoli, salad with chopped hard boilled egg works wonders.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I have a work buddy who just loves pickled eggs...an addiction I think....

You know without a doubt when he's had em the night before. When I first knew him in refurb, he used to pick on another co-worker by deliberately coming up with some excuse to visit the other guy's work space and let one rip silently....damn near chemical warfare.....

Trouble is that I do not know from day to day what place I will be visiting, so I cannot prearm myself just in case...never know, might visit an office with a hot receptionist...don't want to scare her off eh?
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

The last place I worked at, I was an instructor. We were pretty much told to not fail anyone. It was for the most part to teach the techs to use their manuals. I just guided them along, answered questions and got free lunch...lol. The test on the last day of class......was books open, use your notes....pretty hard to fail.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    Sometimes I think ripping a good smelly one would give the hint, or fire up the toner vac.
    And depending on where lunch was, beef and broccoli, salad with chopped hard boilled egg works wonders.
    LMFAO
    One of those things I'd secretly love to do but wouldn't dare do.

I started in a local business with about 12 techs. Spent 2 weeks basic training and 6 months in house shop tech, and trained on 2 models before I hit the field. You see a bit of everything as a shop tech, and I was glad to have some screwdriver time before I was in front of a real customer. I used to like the training courses, but anymore I don't have any use for them, aside from the free meals. I mostly rely on experience and manuals.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    My first job in this business, I was told I would ride with another tech for 2 to 3 weeks and do some in house training. This turned into 3 days riding and in house training then they gave me a car and tool box and said get to work. This could have had something to do with the fact that the branch I was working in had 1 tech and had 75 service calls backed up the day I started. Most training has been the hands on learn it the best you can kind.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Tech Training

I used to get to go to school 2 or 3 times a year for new model training. There are certain nuances to be learned in a classroom environment that you can't get just by winging it. These days my new model training consists of the manual and a little time to read through it, especially the detailed descriptions and service tables. If I didn't have more than 20 years under my belt in service, this probably would not be sufficent.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING