Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    How to use Line Codes in Service Management?

Question How to use Line Codes in Service Management?

We are about to purchase a new Software, which is supposed to ease the Handling of the incoming Service calls and the processing of them. One essential Part of this Software is the coding of the Service issues in so-called Line Codes and guess who is the one who was chosen to care about this?

Yeah, you are right

So i'm sitting here, scratching my Head and think about how to start. My first Though is to use a three Digit Code for the incoming Calls and a four Digit Code for the Technician to describe what has been done at the Mashine.

Is someone out there, who uses related software and can give me a few hints, or in the best case, a List of Line Codes, which i can use?

Regards

Herrmann
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar
    The problem with codes is the descriptions are too vague. Also how do you account for doing several things on one machine? So you get a call for lines on copies and the drum blade is faulty. You replace that then find the document feeder rollers are worn, then you find the tray 1 rollers are worn, then you fix a problem with the stapler...It is always better to use words to describe problems and repairs.
    At Ricoh we had 3 codes...
    1)Type of call: PM, EM, Network etc.
    2)Problem: Lines, Noise, Error code etc.
    3)Solution: Clean, Fusing assembly, Drum, Fuse, Roller
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Keep it simple, less os more. too many codes will just cause your techs to use the same 5 codes over and over making any attempt at reporting useless.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Call Codes, Cause Codes

I've been using Canon codes for a long time. They are detailed enough to cover most situations, and intuitive enough to remember easily. For example C4000 in an error code is optics related, and that same 400 points to the correct figure # in the parts manual, for Canon that is. See attached:

I apologize for the sloppy formatting. The website didn't like Excel format. =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I never thought of that one Blackcat. It wouldn't have done much good when I was a SM in a field company (back in the day), though. I designed our work orders (ones my boss made were lame). I designed a code system and the guys would just look at it and sigh every time they had to find the code to use. They didn't like to write either so the reporting was next to useless. I would end up going through a stack of work orders before they would go to billing or they would all come back with "What do we bill here?" We had employee meetings, I screamed, we wrote up people, but in the end I ended up going through the stack. Some guy's handwriting was nearly illegible, they would have the part description but no part number for the part they replaced, some even wouldn't have the customer name on it!!! I got to have a line of techs in front of my desk at the end of day, while I stood there like their mother saying, "What is this? How can we bill this without a part number? Who's work order is this? Why does this one not have the printer model?" I wonder if it would have been any better had they been given laptops. Sometimes it was so comical, I would just laugh. One tech put "CIAM problem. Aligned and cleaned" as a resolution. When I asked him what CIAM meant he replied, "Customer is a moron". This post certainly brought back some memories. Thanks, guys
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 05-26-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammatical
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

I can't take much credit for the Canon cause codes. As technology has changed I've added a few things, but overall, it's about the same as it was 20 years ago before I arrived.

Since I'm the only one writing workorders, there's one person to bitch at.

It nearly took an act of God to get the dispatcher to fill in a full address, full model number, serial number, ID number, contact, & phone number. She is even taking the initiative to identify a specific problem: "Can you be more specific than 'broken' or 'doesn't work'?"

My handwriting has even improved a little. For the last 15 years I've been using large caps/small caps. Just this last year I re-learned the small characters. For a couple weeks it was all a mishmash: "ChECKED CopY QUAlity And machINE OperAtiON." =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 05-26-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: running off at the mouth.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Post Service Call Off Codes

Our company uses a software package that unfortunatly only allows us to book off one code for each of the symptom, cause and action sections, so we have to make a judgment call but there is nothing stopping us from listing on our paperwork from listing however many we think apply.

The first section cosists of the symptom code (2 digits), the cause code (2 letters) finally the action code (3 letters). We have a seperate workshop section that is used for machine set up and refurb work only so allowing us to identify quickly when the machine was 'in house' and what was done.

I have attached the list of codes we use as these may be of help to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mjarbar; 05-30-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Bl***y keyboard again!!!
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I had never heard of line codes or such before this thread. Very interesting. We use E-Automate software for billing and it doesn't have this. Each part is in inventory and have a priced associated. The work order has each part written on it by the service manager before the tech goes out in the field usually. They just check a box if its used or scratch a line through it if its not. A Box on the page is where the tech puts what work is done. At the button is where comments can be put.

The coding just help in sorting out specific types of resolutions. I am guilty of using the cause code to reflect the actual cause when it would be impolitic to write it on the workorder. For example: "120" instead of "customer installed toner cartridge upside-down and spilled the rest on himself and the machine." =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Haha yeah we usually put clean machine. Reseat toner or something like that. Often times once we are out in the car we will fill in more details such as customer broke xx or did xx wrong.