Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    latcom

Comparing Ricoh Canon and Xerox models for new lease

If I am posting in the wrong forum, I am sorry, and please refer me to a more appropriate forum for this question.

I am looking at different multifunction systems for our company. We have two locations whose leases are expiring. I am getting quotes from Ricoh, Xerox and Canon, and want to make sure that I am looking at models that are sufficient to our needs and equivalent to eachother (comparing apples to apples) before making a decision on which one to go for.

We need B&W Copy/Print/Scan (color scan is ok, but color print/copy is not). We also do not want fax capability or finishing. Users seem happy with the current speeds/capabilities of the systems currently being used. We are 99% windows based.

The smaller office currently has a Ricoh MP2510SP that does about 3000 copies/prints per month. The office is happy with the 25ppm. These are the models being suggested:
    Ricoh Aficio MP2550
    Canon ImageRunner 3225
    Xerox WorkCentre 4250

The Xerox stands out because of the 45ppm, but the Xerox rep said that the 4250, that does up to legal-sized is less expensive than their 25ppm alternative which does 11x17 (this office doesn't need 11x17 whereas the larger office does).

The larger office currently has a Ricoh Aficio MP4500SP, and does about 8500 copies/prints per month. These are the suggestions by the reps:
    Ricoh says to stay with the current model (MP4500SP)
    Canon ImageRunner 3245
    Xerox WorkCentre 5745

So, are these models comparable to eachother, and sufficient to the usage requirements of our offices? I understand that I also need to look at other things, like the lease terms, the service agreement, and ability of the supplier/vendor to offer fast and reliable service. However, first I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples, and that I am not being oversold/undersold by one or more of the reps.

I am also open to suggestions about how to think about this, or other models to ask about, or maybe even models from manufacturers.

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Smaller Office
    I know I don't really care for the Ricoh Aficio MP2550 and all it's predecessors. based off that design. But if you are truly doing only 3000 a month, that would mean the PCU wouldn't need a rebuild for 20 months. Pretty solid. DON'T Let them Quote you the version with the cheap controller, the DDST controller. Nothing but problems with those.

Larger Office
    The MP4500SP is not a horrible machine per say, lots of techs had issue keeping the quality up on these and the newer MP4000 that was the redesign. I would say Depends on how many miles is on your machine and how the service has been. The replacement for the MP4500SP is the brand new MP4001SP. All new design, Everything. Released 1/22/2010 No Bulletins as of yet. We have a few in field, too new to tell you if we like them or not.

latcom
    Thank you for the reply Vulkor.

DON'T Let them Quote you the version with the cheap controller, the DDST controller
    Are you saying that there are MP2550's with a DDST controller, and others with a different controller? What is the controller I should be asking for?

I am also being given the option for a MP2500, which is less expensive to lease, but has a more expensive service agreement than the MP2550. I guess that tells me it is not as reliable as the MP2550. However, total cost after three years (lease + service) is less than the MP2550. Do you have any thoughts on the reliability of the MP2500?

For the Larger office, I have a quote for the MP5000B. Is it new/unproven like the MP4001SP, or does it have more of a track-record?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help (aka free advice)!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Go with the MP2550. It is better, built well. Better paperflow. Longer between maintenance cycles. The MP2500 is the one that would have a DDST controller open. You would want the GW controller. Really not a fan of the MP2500.

The MP5000B should be great if it is new. All the kinks worked out as far as firmware and it would have the New Developer Unit and Toner style. Also this unit only scans in Black and White.

Are these your only choices. If there is a Konica Minolta dealer in your area the Bizhubs are awesome machines.

That machine is manufactured by Samsung. We do service them but not a big fan.
    MultiXpress SCX-6545N SCX-6545N - Black and White Multifunction Printers - Printers & Multifunction | SAMSUNG
    Kittens give Morbo gas.

A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+

latcom
    Vulkor: Thank you for the information. I will avoid the MP2500. I didn't notice that the MP5000B was a b&w scanner. Our current machines only do b&w, but there are some business processes where color scanning would be convenient. So, I have asked for a quote on the MP5001 to see what the difference would be.

Are these your only choices. If there is a Konica Minolta dealer in your area the Bizhubs are awesome machines.
    Actually, after looking through a lot of the posts in this forum I decided to contact other dealers. The Konica and Kyocera vendors in our area (the ones that had a presence in both our office locations) also carried other lines, and decided that the other lines would be more appropriate for us. Altogether, I have talked to vendors that represent Konica, Kyocera, Sharp, Xerox, Canon, and Ricoh.

At the moment I am deciding between the Canon and Ricoh systems. We have dropped our current Ricoh vendor for various reasons, and I am now dealing with a new Ricoh vendor. The Xerox vendor had their issues, so they are also out. Sharp had the highest quote.

Both Ricoh and Canon guarantee a 4 hour response time at each location. The expected total cost after 3 years (lease, service with % yearly increase, taxes, etc) are practically the same. Continuing with Ricoh models will mean less administrative time/energy, because we won't have to re-train everyone on how to print/copy/scan. However, the Canon vendor was the only one to come up with a reasonable/good quote the first time, and the only one offering a service agreement without a minimum number of copies/prints (and a $/click that still beats practically every other vendor). I really like how the Canon vendor is doing business.

However, I really don't know anything about the quality of the Canon models.

latcom
    Quote Originally Posted by df3036 View Post
    That machine is manufactured by Samsung.
    Which machine?

Sorry, the Xerox.... My bad
    Xerox WorkCentre 4250

They do tweak the User Interface.
    Kittens give Morbo gas.

A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+

latcom
    No problem df. Thanks for the info (made me feel better about dropping the Xerox vendor).