Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Techs

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Cool Lasers unit....polygon motor 'failure'.....

On some of the older lasers, I've been able to crack them apart and clean and lube the polygon mirror motor. I used to use silicon spray oil or standard lube, then when I got into some older lasers, it wouldn't fix it anymore. So I switched to EZ-1 synth lube, and that got it. I imagine any brand of synthetic of a very light weight would work.

Also, tip for ROOKIES:
    The biggest mistake I see rookies making is either not learning, or not remembering the three "I's" of technical troubleshooting.
    1. IDENTIFY....see blackcat's post. Listen, think, observe, ask questions, make SURE you know exactly WHAT the problem is! (most get this first one). ALSO, look for other problems, the customer is not the tech. and can not see things you can with a trained eye.
    2. ISOLATE.... this is where many new tech's get stuck. They don't know how to go about isolating subassemblies, removing options, etc. to find out where the problem truly originates. A read-through of the service manual should be required for each model worked on. You can't easily fix things unless you have an understanding of HOW THEY WORK.
    3. INITIATE.....after 1 and 2 are complete. Sometimes concurrent with #2, but almost NEVER with #1. Also includes thorough testing of the machine's functions when you think you're done. If I had a nickel for every time I've said, "glad I checked that BEFORE I left" I'd have a drum full of nickels.

Hey, just wondering why you shouldn't vacuum out a developing unit on a Konica? Does this go for the Konica Minolta, as well? I always vacuumed the developing unit on a Canon box. I've only been working on the KM boxes for a few months. That wasn't in the Outward Associate training program.
    Thanks! Everyone, I enjoyed some of these wonderful tips!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

I don't know about Konica, but on Canon developing units you can blow the toner sensor by vacuuming too close to them.

There are two things you can do:
    1) Keep a thumb or finger of the other hand touching the mag roller the whole time you're vacuuming. Sure you'll feel some shocks, but nothing fatal.
    2) Don't vacuum right next to the toner sensor.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krazeekidz3 View Post
    Hey, just wondering why you shouldn't vacuum out a developing unit on a Konica? Does this go for the Konica Minolta, as well? I always vacuumed the developing unit on a Canon box. I've only been working on the KM boxes for a few months. That wasn't in the Outward Associate training program.
    Thanks! Everyone, I enjoyed some of these wonderful tips!!

On the Konica's the vacuum will blow the aidc sensor. Real bad on 470's. If you have an old dv box, hold it and vacuum it and you should get a shock. That same discharge is hell on the sensors. You can get paint brushes at the dollar store to clean the boxes.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I got one.

If you have to move the machine both away from the wall and to the side to get to the back panels, unplug the machine first so as to not bend the electrical prong while it is still in the wall outlet.

goodboy2010
    i am new
    nice tips for me
    thx for sharing!
    waiting more posts from you

Senior Tech 250+ Posts dogsbody's Avatar
    A clean machine is a good machine. It is not hard to clean the paper dust collectors and filters.
    Take the time to clean the rollers, it is also not hard and doesn't take too much time.
    Clean the mirrors.
    Don't try to push your drums, the image may be OK but the old drum will make the insides of your machine filthy.
    Do you PM's properly. We get PM kits from Konica, makes life easier, one part number and you have all the parts in one box, this is even more important which production colour machines.
    Last edited by dogsbody; 10-21-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    The force will be with you always.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Make sure your end users throw away empty toner carts.
    Have had a few put empty ones back into a mach when they ran out.
    And have them get rid of old toner from there last machine, most is not compatible with the new one.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Old contract toner is a killer. Ask if they have any, then tell them how much you will charge if it finds its way into your machine, and they will give it to you. I have busted the Army almost 40 times filling up their own bottles. I charge them $500 if it is just toner they put in. It is not always toner they put in.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I find it interesting sometimes how much toner a customer will have from their previous machines...I swear some dealers must be shipping it by the pallet.