Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tips for Techs

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

General Tips:

Test everything; doc feeder, all paper trays, duplex, etc. (it sucks having to go back out to fix a machine you just fixed because you forgot to test tray 4)

I used to leave test charts on the platen glass all the time, attach a string or ribbon to the chart so if you forget to check, you'll see it hanging out.

Keep extra sets of feed tires in your bag at all times, so you don't have to run out to your car every time you need em. Also bring some parts in with you, saves a lot of time.

Scrub the outside of machines and make em look pretty. (You might have detailed the inside of a machine and everything is working great, but if the outside looks like crap, the customer will think you did a half-assed job)

Show customers sample copies/prints so they can see that the machine is fixed.

Better to put extra quarters in the parking meter in case you take longer than you expected. (even if you think its only going to be a quick 5 minutes you know the customer is going to want to chit-chat, and saves you from getting expensive parking tickets)

I'm sure this one is common sense; Use the platen glass as a workspace, just throw down a drop cloth or some paper from the recycling box, and you have yourself a good place to clean/rebuild units.

Don't forget; drums are photosensitive(sensitive to light), make sure you cover up your drums / drum units with some paper if you take them out. Also put them somewhere so they don't get scratched or kicked.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Tips for Techs

Never clear a paper jam by pulling the paper out contrary to the direction of travel. Always pull it out the way the paper flows. You can damage sensors and all kinds of things otherwise.

Paul@justmanuals.com

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    It's a good idea to clean up the dust off of all the covers and trays on every call. It's a perception thing. A clean machine looks like it runs good, while a dirty one looks like it's broken down. Customers are less likely to call in about every little thing if the machine looks clean. I've had customers call in for service simply because the machine looked dirty (no problems whatsoever with the machine).
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.